Sign in with
Your question

Intel D955XBK - can't find speaker connection

Last response: in Motherboards
February 3, 2006 9:48:03 AM

Posted here guys because I could not find Intel section - hope OK.

My question is - where can I find the speaker connection on this board? I have enclosed a link to Intel site hoping someone can see what I failed to see! Intel D955XBK picture

My case is the Lian-Li PC 6077 and it has a speaker in the case with a 4 socket female connection with two wire connections (red and black) each wire at presumably pins 1 and 4. However, I have looked hard with magnifier! and can still not find a suitable male connector marked "speaker".

I realise the board has onboard audio, but being new to this am not sure whether by definition it means it does not require a speaker.

Very grateful for your help on this please. Many thanks.
David :?
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2006 10:26:10 AM

perhaps the board has an integrated/onboard pizo speaker - boot the system up without any ram and see if you can hear it beep.

speaker is not really needed anyhow - only used for diagnostics.
February 3, 2006 11:45:30 AM

Quote:
perhaps the board has an integrated/onboard pizo speaker - boot the system up without any ram and see if you can hear it beep.

speaker is not really needed anyhow - only used for diagnostics.

Thanks for that "Apache_lives". Understood. However, because I have just installed (all rather nervously!!) my Processor, Memory and so on, I will probably not take out that RAM, but thanks for the tip though.

I am heartened by your comments about the fact that it is not really needed anyhow - so I will forget about it and leave the lead where it is, in the case.

Appreciate your prompt response.
David :) 

PS:
Just found ONE reference only in the Product Guide book to the speaker. It states - "A speaker is mounted on the desktop board. The speaker provides audible error code (beep code) information during the Power-On Self_Test (POST)". is this what is meant by your reference above to "pizo speaker" please?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2006 11:56:49 PM

its hard to say.

heres a pic with a pizo speaker (its just above the ide port and to the right of the bios - its black with a hole in the center and as tall as the ide port its self.
February 4, 2006 12:30:30 PM

Quote:
its hard to say.

heres a pic with a pizo speaker (its just above the ide port and to the right of the bios - its black with a hole in the center and as tall as the ide port its self.

Thank you very much for that. It was the answer I needed and I have now found the speaker on my motherboard on closer examination. Here is a link to a small Freewebs site where I put up a few bits and pieces in an effort to learn about websites!! A beginner in all things you will see.

I have put an image there for you to look at which if you click and then choose Full Size will let you have a clearer photo. Tried to make the file as small as possible for the server there and not take up too much space.

Link: http://www.freewebs.com/ukdave/images.htm

Thanks again for your work on my behalf - really helped.
David :) 
a b V Motherboard
February 5, 2006 5:06:09 AM

yup thats the integrated pizo speaker
February 6, 2006 3:31:11 AM

Just so you know, although that board has a built in speaker, normally the connections for case speakers are found on the power and/or case header. This is where you connect all your case lights, case switches etc. There are usually two pins reserved just for that function on that header.
!