Rivers, lakes, and shore enhancement

GREGORY

Anyone check out FFNE by Scott Gridley? Have it analyzed (BGL files
in LMWView) and installed in FS8 with very good results. Performance
is limited due to hardware.. however upgraded shores make a BIG
difference!! Here are some screen shots of FFNE. Default FS8 shores
are disabled as are default streams.

NJ shore.. FFNE starts here...
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/NJ_shore_nom.jpg (192k)

Long Island shores.. views from FL330...
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/LI_shore_nom.jpg (153k)

Connecticut shores.. night textures appear...
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/CT_shore_nom.jpg (135k)

It will certainly look much better on your hi-end FS9 platform. Hope
to see more shore, lake and river advancement development.. amazing!!

-Gregory

GREGORY

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:52:36 -0400, Gregory
<flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> brought the following to our
attention:

>Anyone check out FFNE by Scott Gridley? Have it analyzed (BGL files
>in LMWView) and installed in FS8 with very good results. Performance
>is limited due to hardware.. however upgraded shores make a BIG
>difference!! Here are some screen shots of FFNE. Default FS8 shores
>are disabled as are default streams.
>

>NJ shore.. FFNE starts here...
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/NJ_shore_nom.jpg (192k)
>

>Long Island shores.. views from FL330...
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/LI_shore_nom.jpg (153k)
>

>Connecticut shores.. night textures appear...
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/CT_shore_nom.jpg (135k)
>

>It will certainly look much better on your hi-end FS9 platform. Hope
>to see more shore, lake and river advancement development.. amazing!!
>

> -Gregory

what.. nobody wants to touch this? perhaps I forgot to include the
links to Dr Gridley's files on avsim.com. He's very personable and
likes to have others evaluate his terrain. For those working on
scenery and especially shores.. check out the tutorial (4th link)..

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=scott+gridley&Sort=Added&ScanMode=1

I'd like to see replacement shores, rivers and streams for entire USA!
does this addon already exist? or has FS9 equivalent detail level?

-Gregory

Gregory <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in

> I'd like to see replacement shores, rivers and streams for entire USA!
> does this addon already exist? or has FS9 equivalent detail level?

I think FS Genesis IIRC was thinking about this, or publishing some
one who was going to do this.

Replacement shores are a problem. The default shores use "flatten"
commands on the water side. If you move the shore over the water,
you can fill in land behind it, but it remains flattened. The only
practical way to un-flatten it is to replace the default HP9xxyy0.bgl
file that covers the shore in question. That requries the designer
to create water well out on the water side of the shore. This is
complicated by an FS9 bug that only allows replacement water mask files
to cover 1.2km squares per command (area fill).

Replacement streams are a little easier, but there is a flatten
problem here too. In this case, it can be corrected another way
(besides editing ST9xxyy0.bgl) by changing terrain.cfg so that streams
are not flattened (this affects all streams globally though).

Source data for USA is available from usgs DLG files. There is
a program Terrascene which can pull this data seamlessly. The
program was designed for Fly!, but has been adapted for use in FS9
scenery.

scott s.
..

GREGORY

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 00:00:29 GMT, "scott s." <75270_3703a@csi.xcom>
brought the following to our attention:

>Gregory <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in
>

>> I'd like to see replacement shores, rivers and streams for entire USA!
>> does this addon already exist? or has FS9 equivalent detail level?
>>

>I think FS Genesis IIRC was thinking about this, or publishing some
>one who was going to do this.
>
>Replacement shores are a problem. The default shores use "flatten"
>commands on the water side. If you move the shore over the water,
>you can fill in land behind it, but it remains flattened. The only
>practical way to un-flatten it is to replace the default HP9xxyy0.bgl
>file that covers the shore in question. That requries the designer
>to create water well out on the water side of the shore. This is
>complicated by an FS9 bug that only allows replacement water mask files
>to cover 1.2km squares per command (area fill).

Great reply.. had to figure out which shore and stream BGL's to remove
(to BAK folder).. once that was done the shores (river, lake, ocean)
looked fantastic!! Here's the extent and detail of the FFNE coverage..

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/FFNE-LWM-07a.gif

Had to open dozens or BGL's using LMWView to get this shot. Then
figure out which streams files to disable (move to BAK).

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/STL532200-STL532204-STL528200.png

Here's the old streams still enabled with new rivers..

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/FS8_rivers_a.jpg

And finally it takes shape.. and these views of NYC from north are on
my low-end platform (don't laugh too much).. still very impressive!!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/NYC_north_.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/NYC_north_SP_shores.jpg

ok.. enough old crummy views.. and not too sure what I'm talking
about. Scott will correspond with anyone (almost) that wants to
make this work. Have learned a lot from him already.

-Gregory