Sign in with
Your question

Frobes.com: AMD shipping CPU's to Dell within weeks

Last response: in CPUs
February 3, 2006 2:26:35 PM

http://www.forbes.com/markets/commodities/2006/01/31/am...

Yet another article stating Dell will be selling AMD very soon. According to the article Dell will be shipping AMD based laptops first and then Opterons/Athlon64's later.

-mpjesse
February 3, 2006 2:38:16 PM

I wonder how similar in price dell will offer the AMD products compared to their current Intel? Not to mention think of how much more of the market will embrace Dell now. Now they just need to bring 100% of their customer service back to the USA for the complete package
February 3, 2006 2:55:09 PM

I dont think Dell will have AMD Systems.
Related resources
February 3, 2006 3:26:46 PM

Care to make a friendly wager? I'll bet $400 they'll start selling AMD based systems sometime this year. I take paypal. protekt0r@hotmail.com is my paypal address. What's yours?

Seriously man, have you been reading all the recent articles? Just about every single tech analyst has been reporting prepared shipments of AMD CPU's to Dell. Just a couple days ago Michael Dell was asked "would you considering selling AMD based systems?" and he answered "sure."

It's going to happen. And it's going to happen this year.

-mpjesse
February 3, 2006 3:27:40 PM

Idk though because think of how many thousands maybe millions of people have been turned away from Dell because they dont offer AMD products. Offering them would give them more of an edge on the Market. This seems like an excellent marketing tool and a smart move on Dells part.
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2006 3:35:49 PM

I glad Dell will be carrying AMD. Maybe, I can finally buy a new system cheap! I just REALLY hope Dell doesn't do the same thing with their AMD systems like they do with their printers as in someone else makes them but you have to get Dell parts!
February 3, 2006 3:41:19 PM

Quote:
It's going to happen. And it's going to happen this year.
Yeah, but it wouldn't surprise me if Dell intentionally paired the AMD CPUs with really faulty hardware, put it all at very low prices so that plenty of people would buy, and then happily collected up the customer complaints to use as an excuse to never work with AMD again.

Maybe I'm just a cynic though.
February 3, 2006 4:05:26 PM

There have been a ton of analysts over the years speculating on the rumors of Dell finally selling AMD chips. I for one actually believe it this time. Dell has been selling AMD procs on their website for several months now, AMD has been offering very solid performance increases and performance/watt over Intel, and they have been ramping up and refining their fabrication and manufacturing processes. Survey says!?

I read a while ago that the biggest reason Dell didn't go with AMD yet was because of manufacturing capacity. AMD simply couldn't manufacture enough chips to satisfy Dell's demands.

I still wouldn't buy a Dell though. :roll:
February 3, 2006 4:06:47 PM

8O What, a AMD that can't be overclocked! :tongue:
February 3, 2006 4:19:29 PM

amd is betraying all of us fanboy's by going to dell.
February 3, 2006 4:24:09 PM

Definetly you're outdated, AMD rigth now is the best processor available, DESKTOP, PROFESIONAL AND EVEN SERVER. Rigth now other companys like HP, SUN MICROSYSTEM, GATEWAYS are gaining space on the market just by using amd64 cpu. I think is a big move from dell to use amd64 technology. even futher with the upcoming socket am2 with ddr2 memory controller and 0.65 manufacturing process.

by real, be smart! use AMD64
February 3, 2006 4:28:17 PM

Quote:
8O What, a AMD that can't be overclocked! :tongue:

I'm going to buy nothing else but fully overclockable AMDs and ones on Motherboards that are reliable and insanely overclockable. i hate Dell, i hate Gateway, I hate Apple but..... I love Girls :wink:
February 3, 2006 4:29:21 PM

ya know, Dell adopting AMD is really sad.
AMD had the crown for nearly two years now.
Dell has been leaking this for over a year.
Their corporate red tape drag a$$edness will mean that maybe by the end of the year Dell would implement just as Intel is once again takin the lead making it seem AMD was a bad choice after all....
February 3, 2006 4:38:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but it wouldn't surprise me if Dell intentionally paired the AMD CPUs with really faulty hardware, put it all at very low prices so that plenty of people would buy, and then happily collected up the customer complaints to use as an excuse to never work with AMD again.

Do you REALLY consider this move a rational one? If by only offering AMD systems Dell gains more market share it would be insanity to just throw it away in that "cynical" manner. No intrigues are more important than profit...
February 3, 2006 4:39:21 PM

You know I think Omid was right when he posted that editiorial years ago about AMD fan boys crippling AMD's succes.

The best thing AMD ever did was get rid of Jerry Sanders (he claims he retired). He was a fan boy of his own creation to a fault.

Ever since Hector Ruiz took over they've been turning a profit. That was something AMD could never do with Sanders at the helm. At the end of the day, that's what AMD is all about- making money. And making money they are.

I hate to break it to you, but Hector Ruiz doesn't give a shite about us AMD fan boys. Nor should he.

-mpjesse
February 3, 2006 4:50:07 PM

Quote:
Do you REALLY consider this move a rational one? If by only offering AMD systems Dell gains more market share it would be insanity to just throw it away in that "cynical" manner. No intrigues are more important than profit...
But the question is, how much actual profit would they make from AMD systems? AMD doesn't give a marketing reimbursement like Intel does. And, likely, even without that the AMD systems will have a lower margin because everyone will expect them to cost less. So how much money will Dell actually make from selling AMD compared to selling Intel? That is the question.

The only markets that make any real sense to do this in are the high end gaming, workstation, and server markets, where margins are good. But are those the markets that Dell would target first?
February 3, 2006 5:13:26 PM

Quote:
The only markets that make any real sense to do this in are the high end gaming, workstation, and server markets, where margins are good. But are those the markets that Dell would target first?

I doubt it... like you said they'll probably initally reserve AMD systems for extremely low margin budget PC's. Certainly Dell isn't going to go out of their way to advertise they're "now selling AMD" 'cause like you said, they're not being reimbursed for it. So high end gaming PC's with AMD CPU's probably won't be available for a while.

I do however expect to see Opteron based servers fairly soon after their intial "AMD" launch. Opteron is now highly respected in the enterprise market and IT professionals are screaming for them. As you may or may not know I work at LANL (Los Alamos National Labs) and we've got more than a few Opteron superclusters here. The geeks love 'em and are looking forward to getting some new Opteron Dual Core based clusters. The only solution Intel is offering is 2, 4, 8 etc way processor hot Xeon systems. Intel is making a huge mistake by not "dual coring" Xeons. Once again they're betting too much on Itantic and not enough on Xeon.

EDIT: just emailed a buddy of mine in IT, he says we now have 14 Opteron based superclusters and they plan on replacing a bunch of Xeon clusters w/ Opteron clusters this year.

-mpjesse
February 3, 2006 5:20:33 PM

Quote:
The only solution Intel is offering is 2, 4, 8 etc way processor hot Xeon systems. Intel is making a huge mistake by not "dual coring" Xeons. Once again they're betting too much on Itantic and not enough on Xeon.
Yeah, but you just pointed out the flaw in your own argument. Intel can't bet enough on Xeon right now because they're too hot to offer dualcore clusters. :o  But yeah, Intel has been holding back on their Xeons a bit too much. They just won't let the Itanic sink, no matter how much it's costing them.

Quote:
EDIT: just emailed a buddy of mine in IT, he says we now have 14 Opteron based superclusters and they plan on replacing a bunch of Xeon clusters w/ Opteron clusters this year.
No surprise there. Were I doing any server purchases (or even workstation) I'd snap up an Opteron in a heartbeat. Inwho? Xewhat? Not even worth a full thought. :lol: 
!