64 bit question

scp443

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
i'm buying a laptop very soon. i was looking at the MSI MS-1036 which can come with a turion. i configured the whole computer and it was a good amout beyond what i wanted to spend on it.
i know i can get somehting with a pentium M in it that is faster and cheaper (alot cheaper) like say.. toshiba M65-S909
Are 64 bit processors that much faster?

i want my computer to last for a long time at least 5 years. i dont want to be forced to go buy a 64 bit system in the future.
basically, is it worth it to spend the extra money on a system w/ a 64 bit chip right now?

RichPLS

Champion
Whatever you chose, Intel is best for notebook and get at least a gig of RAM.

Vista will be 32 and 64-bit. Works either way, and before bugs and fully adopted will be years after release of vista.

So you got 4 years before any real need to switch.

mpjesse

Splendid
64 bit processors are absolutely NO faster than 32 bit. They were never designed to be.

Like I've told 500 other people asking this same question in the past month, get whatever best suits you. Don't worry about 64 bit functionality.

(FYI, read some of the threads in this forum and you'll see a thread dated YESTERDAY by a dude who had the same question).

-mpjesse

mpjesse

Splendid
SOK. Just try searching the forums before you post. You'll often find that someone else has already asked the same question.

For some odd reason this is the 3rd time someone has asked the same question in as many weeks.

-mpjesse