WD 200GB SATA into MSI 865PE Neo2-PS

stom

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005
Hi there,

A friend recently bought a Western Digital WD2000JD 200GB SATA (more info available here)
and tried to install it in her MSI board (again, info here)

After installation the computer fails to recognise anything, and also there is no mention of any sata/raid controllers in her hardware manager. The Disk Managemtn feature in windows doesn't pick up anything, and there's nothing in her bios about enabling sata/raid.

BIOS and system drivers are, apparently, up to date (according to the MSI LiveUpdate 3 utility) although when latest chipset drivers were downloaded installation halted with an error of 'the value of WinDir cannot be found, registry is corrupt' (rough outline, not exact message). all other installations have worked fine though.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I should probably add that her primary OS drive is an 80GB Seagate Barracude on IDE.

Thanks again, Stom

" 'the value of WinDir cannot be found, registry is corrupt' "

As that is definitely going to have to be fixed eventually, try a system restore/rollback to an earlier time....it's rather difficult to diagnose other issues if your registry is acting up.

Then try the MSI chipset drivers again,,,

Failing that, a repair/ reinstall of XP

Failing that, delete existing XP partition in XP setup, repartition/full format reinstall of Xp

stom

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try the windows repair option rather than the system restore - i don't know how long ago this problem started so i wouldn't know when to roll back to.

Does the repair function affect the registry? Does anyone know of any good registry scanners/repair tools? Also, what are the chances of this being a BIOS issue? My guess was next-to-none, but its worth asking.

Thanks again.

stom

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005
Hmmm, well i fixed the problem, needed to flash the bios and got an option to enable sata, must have been disabled by standard - weird.

Also, its Windows XP Service Pack 2 (guess i should have said) and Windows XP has recognised sata drives in the past for me, without service packs. I could be mistaken, but i'm pretty sure.