Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

MacBook Pro running Parralell Desktop 7/Window 7

Last response: in Mac Os X
Share
August 2, 2012 7:12:19 PM

I’m looking at purchasing a 15’4 MacBook Pro (Retina Display) with the 256 gb flash drive, and installing Parallels Desktop 7 to run Windows 7. Has anyone one used Parallels Desktop 7 with the new MacBook Pro (Retina Display)? If so, are there any issues I need to be aware of?

August 5, 2012 5:12:44 PM

I have not used Parallels Desktop 7 and neither do I own the new 15" MacBook Pro but I have used Parallels Desktop 5.

All I can say to you is the application runs properly without much problems. However, as it is a virtual machine running on your mac, it will take up system resources and hog them if you leave it running in the background. This also then means, if you intend to run any new games on windows 7 through parallels, you will die from the painfully slow performance.

Though I expect Counter Strike to be playable with 60 fps.
m
0
l
August 6, 2012 11:15:28 AM

you better can use bootcamp to make a dual boot on your mac.
i think that is the best way to install Windows 7 on a mac.

im currently using bootcamp with windows 7 professional and it is running smooth.
my advise is to use the boot camp assistance within OSX.
than downlaod the drivers troughout Bootcamp assistance and let the Windows install troughtout the boot camp assistance.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 24, 2012 2:04:12 AM

sms1295 said:
I’m looking at purchasing a 15’4 MacBook Pro (Retina Display) with the 256 gb flash drive, and installing Parallels Desktop 7 to run Windows 7. Has anyone one used Parallels Desktop 7 with the new MacBook Pro (Retina Display)? If so, are there any issues I need to be aware of?

You thread is old now but I wonder how this worked for you. I'm a big Parralels 7 user. One of the machines I have a Windows 7 VM on is my early 2011 15" MacBook Pro with 16GB ram. Though I assign 6GB to the Windows 7 VM I've had good results with just 4GB. ...very, very responsive. I'd imagine the extra power afforded by the newer MacBook Pros would allow it to run even better. I'm curious as to how this worked out for you. I love virtualizing.
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 8:13:56 PM

If you want to play games, boot camp is your only option. Anything else though, Parallels is awesome. Really great interface and integration into OS X. Just don't expect a virtual machine to measure up to a real one in terms of performance, it isn't even close.
m
0
l
August 26, 2012 8:29:34 PM

gregaaron89 said:
If you want to play games, boot camp is your only option. Anything else though, Parallels is awesome. Really great interface and integration into OS X. Just don't expect a virtual machine to measure up to a real one in terms of performance, it isn't even close.

I don't know, I think it depends on the host hardware. I'm able to easily game in a Win7-64 VM on my Mac Pro...though I know its not a typical machine.
m
0
l
August 28, 2012 1:19:42 AM

I don't recommend parallels. It runs really slowly. I recommend you use bootcamp instead.
m
0
l

Best solution

August 28, 2012 2:06:26 AM

ashytoclassy said:
I don't recommend parallels. It runs really slowly. I recommend you use bootcamp instead.

It depends on the strength of the system you run it on. If you have an older dual core machine with 2-4GB of ram and a 5400rpm hard disk of course Parallels isn't going to run great. If you have adequate hardware Parallels runs great in my experience. Even on my 2009 13" MBP with 8GB of ram and an 128GB SSD Parallels can run a Windows XP VM with 2.75GB of ram dedicated to it surprisingly well and is quite smooth. My 2010 6-core 3.3ghz Xeon Mac Pro with 24GB of ram, dual SSDs (raid 0) and dual 600 Velociraptors (raid 0) runs 64-bit Windows 7 VMs faster than many dedicated PCs and laptops I've seen and I can game in that VM quite well, if I choose.

...it all depends on the hardware how well Parallels runs.
Share
September 12, 2012 2:18:53 AM

Best answer selected by sms1295.
m
0
l
!