slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, 64 is better for singlethreading/tasking, and x2 is better for multithreading/tasking because the 64 is a higher-clocked singlecore, and the x2 is a lower-clocked dualcore. :p

if the extra $100 won't be missed, I'd opt for the dual core...

The X2 will pull ahead once users begin to realize they can burn DVD's, process SETI, all while playing a game with scarcely a performance hit....

ALso, Quake4 has an SMP patch that boost framerates by 30-40% with dual cores...other games may follow, and I believe ATI and Nvidia have both multithreaded their drivers for slight improvements with multicores...

LALA

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
One thing I noticed is with the X2, even if any of the Windows programs crashes the computer will act normal. Since one core will take 100% of the load and the other will have 0% to avg 50%. Thus, easily closing programs and don't have to wait for programs to end.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
PMR IS JUST PISSED OFF CAUSE OF MY OTHER THREAD TITLED INTEL FANBOY'S
Answer number one- Playing games and watch dvds at the same time is pointless and stupid, like Vile said.

Answer number two- U make no sense. If you say stupid things in all the threads you start, I just can say one thing: You really are STUPID.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
pmr listen and listen good all im saying is this that the amd athlon x2 3800 is a good proccesor for multi tasking my friends asked for a computer so they could game good and both go on at the same time okay friend a likes to watch dvd's friend b likes to play bf2 ok simple enough for you pmr

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Surely then they have two monitors to one machine which you completely forget to mention otherwise you are talking nonsense.

sleepdeprived82

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
pmr listen and listen good all im saying is this that the amd athlon x2 3800 is a good proccesor for multi tasking my friends asked for a computer so they could game good and both go on at the same time okay friend a likes to watch dvd's friend b likes to play bf2 ok simple enough for you pmr

to get any sort of good fps on BF2 you have to turn a core off, so you will not be able to achieve your desired playing and watching. There is no chance at all of EA releasing a dual core patch as well.

Also is it even possible to watch a movie and play a game, surley the gpu would be the bottleneck then?

cheetsy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
In my experience u cant watch a dvd on one monitor and play a game on the other, the second monitor just basically shows the desktop image when u play a game, but that was a couple of years ago, i had a Ti4600 back then, so maybe things have changed, and im going to get an X2 3800 soon, cant wait, upgrading from a 3k 64

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
PMR IS JUST PISSED OFF CAUSE OF MY OTHER THREAD TITLED INTEL FANBOY'S
Answer number one- Playing games and watch dvds at the same time is pointless and stupid, like Vile said.

Answer number two- U make no sense. If you say stupid things in all the threads you start, I just can say one thing: You really are STUPID.
I agree that playing games and watching movies at once is a stupid idea. BUT, is it stupid to play a game, and burn DVDs???? Checkmate my friend, you can't say that's stupid. And also, there's no point of calling someone stupid becasue you can't prove it.

You can't spare 5 minutes away from your gaming to burn a dvd?