Computer randomly shuts down in games!!

bigdogsleeping

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Hey guys, Ive been trying to fix this problem for a few days now. I just built a new computer and when ever I play games it will just randomly shutdown every once in a while. Heres all the things I've already tried:

I've tried reinstalling every driver imaginable.
I've monitored the CPU temps and they never go above 50.
I've tryed different sound and graphics cards and it still happens
I've downloaded windows updates
I've run virus scans.
I've made sure nothing is shorting out in my case.
I've run every part of tuneup utilities 2006.
I've tried just about all the setting in my bios, I don't overclock.
I used the RAM, sound card, and video card in my other computer and had no problems.
I did a repair install on windows.
I ran a diognostics on my harddrive. Every things fine.

Ive tried all these things and my copmuter still just shuts down in games. the only thing I could think of is maybe somethings defective. I don't know, I'm getting really desparate. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!

Here are my full specs:
Amd x2 4200+
asus a8n sli
evga 7800gt
cooler master wave master.
sony dual layer dvd drive
Antec neo HE 550 power supply
pqi dual channel ddr400 RAM
74gb western digital raptor HDD
Creative X-fi sound card xtrememusic

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Are the motherboard's bios up to date? Do you have enough ram to run the games you are playing. Like newer games needs more than 1gb of memory to run smoothly. Do you have 2gb of ram installed in your computer? I had that the same problem when playing with battle field 2 and found out that my memory is not enough so I upgraded to 3 gb.
Cause you said it shuts down when you play your games. Well, that is all I can tell you base on similar experience with my computer.

bigdogsleeping

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
No, my ram is fine, I have 2gb and I used it in my old computer and never had any problems. Would flashing my bios really help with something like this?

Spectator

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I don't know if this will help, but I had a similar situation when I built my last system. I had bought gaming ram and an Asus motherboard only to find out that I had to slow down the autodetected memory timings to get the computer stable.

FACEBASH

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
This may not be your problem , but i had similar symptoms a year or so ago.. it happened when i went to lan at a buddys.. my system kept resetting.. and /or shutting down.. after 40 minits of being utterly vexed, i went back to the basics.. checking wires. connections. .. and found that the Powersupply plug was loose in the socket of my PSU .. i switched cords and bam.. problem solved..

bigdogsleeping

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
No... all my wirings fine I checked like 3 times... But exactly what parts would I turn down in the bios to get the memory to run slower?

Up the DDR mem voltage to 2.7 or 2.75, and make sure the pair of modules are in approved "dual channel" slots....(some mb's are finicky with certain brands)

Using your own desired timings, or SPD/Auto for starters?

Try a single stick in an approved "single stick slot"..

Your mem working fine in one board does not mean another board will necessarily function issue free in another board, much less one with a different chipset...

Do you have the 4 pin molex power hooked up to your 7800GT?

"But exactly what parts would I turn down in the bios to get the memory to run slower?"

WIthin advanced chipset features in the BIOS, set mem to manual, and select DDR 333 (or PC2700, whichever is displayed) vice your current DDR400....

If that clears the stability issues, it's possible that MB is just finicky at 200 MHz with one or the other of your sticks. (Is it stable in single stick mode?)

bigdogsleeping

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Anyways I just returned my power supply to fry's and got the 550 watt Ultra Connect. I haven't used it enough to see if it fixed my problem, but I sure am diggin these UV blue cables :)

coriace689

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
It happened to me too with a gigabyte 400 mobo and a 2400 Athlon , the cpu was overheating because the fan/heatsink were not seated properly on the cpu. Try a good thermal paste like Arctic silver. Putting an extra fan in the case might help too.

coriace689

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I had the same problem with a Ga-7vax mobo from gigabyte and it was driving me crazy!
After a while the mobo died and i found out that two capacitors had leaked and a third one was about to burst open.
Gigabyte like some other mobo makers won't admit it but they bought a batch of cheap capacitors , check this link : http://www.overclockers.com/tips00140/

They replaced the mobo for 50 boxs and it is working fine since then.
Check your motherboard to see if some capacitors have an inflated top.
check this link too!
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=leaking+capacitors&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D37c5039211041614%26clickedItemRank%3D3%26userQuery%3Dleaking%2Bcapacitors%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.pcstats.com%252Farticleview.cfm%253FarticleID%253D195%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPResultsT%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcstats.com%2Farticleview.cfm%253FarticleID%253D195

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Turn off 'Automatic Restart on BSoD' in Windows for starters, so we know if it BSoDs or actually restarts the PC.

You didn't mention installing the newer nForce 4 chipset drivers at any point ?
So install them: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Also run at slowest memory timings, press Ctrl+F1 at the main menu in the Gigabyte varient of the Award BIOS to get the ADVANCED CHIPSET options available. Then raise timings to the max (slowest) settings, and use SiSoft SANDRA to check what they should've been.

Also don't overclock unless you know exactly what you're doing - in case you are.

Try Prime95 (Torture Test / Blend Mode) and MemTest86+ (Ext Test) , if tests fail reduce memory timings, and keep doing it until you can get 3 passes with 0 errors.

Then consider reinstalling Windows, your registry is likely corrupt as a symptom of the faulty hardware setup.

Likely causes are (settings, faulty or compatibilty) for:
- Memory / RAM
- Video Card
- Power Supply Unit

It is unlikely to be cooling / heat related in this case IMHO.

Does the PC restart, or actually shut-down. If it shuts down then it is likely the PSU, aim for a 400+ watt PSU as a replacement if it is. A stock TruePower II (w/o EPS12V) may be a better choice for your system.

CCanadian_Bacon

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Hey guys, Ive been trying to fix this problem for a few days now. I just built a new computer and when ever I play games it will just randomly shutdown every once in a while. Heres all the things I've already tried:

I've tried reinstalling every driver imaginable.
I've monitored the CPU temps and they never go above 50.
I've tryed different sound and graphics cards and it still happens
I've downloaded windows updates
I've run virus scans.
I've made sure nothing is shorting out in my case.
I've run every part of tuneup utilities 2006.
I've tried just about all the setting in my bios, I don't overclock.
I used the RAM, sound card, and video card in my other computer and had no problems.
I did a repair install on windows.
I ran a diognostics on my harddrive. Every things fine.

Ive tried all these things and my copmuter still just shuts down in games. the only thing I could think of is maybe somethings defective. I don't know, I'm getting really desparate. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!

Here are my full specs:
Amd x2 4200+
asus a8n sli
evga 7800gt
cooler master wave master.
sony dual layer dvd drive
Antec neo HE 550 power supply
pqi dual channel ddr400 RAM
74gb western digital raptor HDD
Creative X-fi sound card xtrememusic

i bet you its the PSU

aNoR

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Have the same problem (see my post at http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=174063&highlight=shutdown+k8n) ...

Plz let me know if you fix the issue, and thanks every1 for the suggestions in this subject, i'll look into them...

/ Frustrated

My bet would be the PSU. There was an article at AnandTech regarding voltage stability problems and Antec PSU's. I believe the article directly related to the 550W True Power series delivering as low as 11.3v on the 12v rail. However, it would not surprise me if your Antec PSU was having the same issue.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Shutdown during gaming is almost always your power supply. Not beefy enough to give juice to your system when it's thirsty. Get something reliable.
:D

aNoR

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Shutdown during gaming is almost always your power supply.
:D

Good to hear, I just ordered Hiper TYPE-R 580w, I hope that'll do the trick... and if it won't, at least I get rid of the noisy 400w no-name pieco of crap psu i'm using :p

fluxpunk

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I had a computer once with a simular problem, it was a faulty power supply, would just restart the pc with no beeps or warnings. buy a new power supply and try it out they arnt that much to buy + you said you tried and tested everything else

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
i think too it`s a psu problem .....check whether you have plenty of amperage on the 12v rail (s)...20ampers..30ampers should do...
check the 6 pin cable on the video card......is your psu single rail or dual rail?