Computer randomly shuts down during games!!

bigdogsleeping

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Hey guys, Ive been trying to fix this problem for a few days now. I just built a new computer and when ever I play games it will just randomly shutdown every once in a while. Heres all the things I've already tried:
I've tried reinstalling every driver imaginable.
I've monitored the CPU temps and they never go above 50.
I've tryed different sound and graphics cards and it still happens
I've downloaded windows updates
I've run virus scans.
I've made sure nothing is shorting out in my case.
I've run every part of tuneup utilities 2006.
I've tried just about all the setting in my bios, I don't overclock.
I used the RAM, sound card, and video card in my other computer and had no problems.
I did a repair install on windows.
I ran a diognostics on my harddrive. Every things fine.

Ive tried all these things and my copmuter still just shuts down in games. the only thing I could think of is maybe somethings defective. I don't know, I'm getting really desparate. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!

Here are my full specs:
Amd x2 4200+
asus a8n sli
evga 7800gt
cooler master wave master.
sony dual layer dvd drive
Antec neo HE 550 power supply
pqi dual channel ddr400 RAM
74gb western digital raptor HDD
Creative X-fi sound card xtrememusic

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
The Games section is meant for discussing games and gaming. I think you have better luck finding an anwser in the Hardware -> General Homebuilt section so I moved this topic over here for you.

ww1065

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Even though the power supply model seems like it should work, it may still be suspect. THG has reviewed many power supplies that fell far short of their claimed specs. Or, it may simply be bad.

Check out other threads here, some folks have missed connecting auxilliary power connectors, etc.

There may be timing issues with the RAM (OC'ing not required to have timing issues). Maybe somebody familiar with the board & memory will tell you what to look for in BIOS.

Aids

Distinguished
May 16, 2004
Also, does your computer have any other problems than games? Music, internet browsing, multitasking etc... Because shutting down in JUST games is a little curious.

fluxpunk

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Even though the power supply model seems like it should work, it may still be suspect. THG has reviewed many power supplies that fell far short of their claimed specs. Or, it may simply be bad.

Yeah i had a problem simular to this with a power supply it just restarted the comp for no reason, without warning but it ran fine when i was just surfing/writing only when i used games try a different one is you can

WHen you say "shuts down" do you mean the game crashes back to the desktop, or the entire computer just powers itself off instantly?

If the latter, I'd slave in another new PS at least in the 500-550 watt range...

(Is your 7800 fed its aux pwr input via it's own molex pwr input, not via a Y adapter?)

Even Antec PSUs can develop problems....

fluxpunk

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
While we are on the topic of random shut down someone has asked me to take a look at thier pc (havent looked at it yet). i dont know if they are being newbie but they wrekon that thier PC randomly restarts and when it restarts just like if you press the restart button(so you see bios messages etc).

and then apparently all thier work and everything they was working on appears as it was before it restarted. but i find this really hard to belive as i thought it is impossible for this to happen. has anyone seen anything like this?