Activation

I'm not too well up on how Product Activation works, so some advice would be
appreciated.

Computer A is dead, but the HD is OK, and has XP on board and activated.
Computer B is a new machine with XP installed - but a different product key,
of course - and actvated.

I need to extract some data from programs that were running on the old
machine (A). I cannot achieve this work simply by installing drive A as a
second drive in the new machine. I really need to install A's HD in machine
B, but the question is will it allow me to boot up and carry out the work,
or will the activation records prevent it?

I don't want to permanently change because ultimately machine A will be
repaired and reused.

Cheers
Dave S.

If you set A's drive as a slave in B, there is no reason why you will not be
able to copy over data whilst still preserving A's HDD in its entirety..

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:48:01 +0100, Dave S. wrote:

> I'm not too well up on how Product Activation works, so some advice would be
> appreciated.
>
> Computer A is dead, but the HD is OK, and has XP on board and activated.
> Computer B is a new machine with XP installed - but a different product key,
> of course - and actvated.
>
> I need to extract some data from programs that were running on the old
> machine (A). I cannot achieve this work simply by installing drive A as a
> second drive in the new machine. I really need to install A's HD in machine
> B, but the question is will it allow me to boot up and carry out the work,
> or will the activation records prevent it?
>
> I don't want to permanently change because ultimately machine A will be
> repaired and reused.
>
> Cheers
> Dave S.

Try to work out the logistics as Mike has suggested.

Reason: Dropping the drive into machine B will most likely require a repair
install to get all of B's hardware up and working in that XP installation.
The repair will have to be repeated when you move the drive back to machine
A.

While, theoretically, this should work -- it's a lot of alterations to one
installation. It's a lot of time invested. It might not work. And it sounds
more complicated than it should be to simply extract data. My guess is that
registry entries, hardware, drivers and the like would end up being a
bigger concern/headache than activation. Activation would be a hurdle (not
a roadblock) and could be done with a phone call if necessary.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

"Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> If you set A's drive as a slave in B, there is no reason why you will not
be
> able to copy over data whilst still preserving A's HDD in its entirety..

Thanks for trying to help, but can I point out, with respect, that I did
state

>> I cannot achieve this work simply by installing drive A as a
> > second drive in the new machine.

It isn't just a case of copying files over - I can cope with that. The data
has to be exported, and the programme won't run from anything other than the
primary drive.

Cheers
Dave S.

Then load the program that uses this data and import it from the 'new'
slave..

> "Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> If you set A's drive as a slave in B, there is no reason why you will not
> be
>> able to copy over data whilst still preserving A's HDD in its entirety..
>
> Thanks for trying to help, but can I point out, with respect, that I did
> state
>
>>> I cannot achieve this work simply by installing drive A as a
>> > second drive in the new machine.
>
> It isn't just a case of copying files over - I can cope with that. The
> data
> has to be exported, and the programme won't run from anything other than
> the
> primary drive.
>
> Cheers
> Dave S.