Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
I am building a budget gamer with the following scrounged components

-Thermaltake xaserV5000A case w/430w Thermaltake PSU
-eVGA SLI mobo (aka Jetway)
-AMD 64 3000 939
-1G Crucial PC3200
-6800 Vanilla Video card

I of course plan on Oc'ing the AMD 3000 a bit. I am torn however as to which HSF to use. I hear good things about the Zalman 7000b copper but am tempted by a few heat pipe coolers. Arctic Cooling's 64 Pro looks real nice and seems to perform well. My dilemma with heat pipes is, I wonder how well they truly work being that, with most of the HSFs, the pipes are horizontal in a standard case. The main principal of heat pipes (so I thought) is that gravity brings the cooled liquid back to the base. How does this happen effectively if the pipes are not vertical? I currently have a Smell XPS with an Intel 3.4 and it uses heat pipes. It seems to do fine but it's not Oc'd and I have no way of judging anyway due to a lack of temp monitoring.
Any advice greatly appriciated :)

rockman_

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Scythe Ninja,
thermaltake Big typhon,
thermaltake Sonic tower +2x120mm vane,
Coolermastrer Hyper6,
Zalman cpns9500,
thermlight XP-120
the most powerful is Scythe Ninja,but other 5 coolers are very good too 8)

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I would go with the Artic cooler freezer 64 pro, I have one and it's quiet, low cost, and works well.
In all the tests all the HSF's come within 5 degrees C of each other, no reason to spend lots of cash. I would use a good heat sink paste with it though, removing the pad that comes with the 64 pro. For the money you can't go wrong.

rsmart

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
As far as the orientation of the heatpipes goes, most modern heatpipes use scintered wicks inside and thus use capillary action to return the liquid to the hot side and don't rely on gravity.

I have a Gigabyte G-Power Pro and it works pretty well on a Pentium D 820 even at the lowest speed where it's pretty quiet. While rendering video for DVDs (2 hours with both CPUs at about 100%) the temperature doesn't go over 55 deg. C.

At maximum speed the temperature during rendering doesn't go over 40 deg. C, but the wife's hairdryer is pretty quiet in comparison.

Also what I like about the G-Power is it's pretty light, less than half a kilogram which can be a consideration if you carry the PC around.

rsmart

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I'd agree on the Zalman 9500 being better. I got the Gigabyte because I was getting a whole lot of other other stuff from their importers and I wasn't really keen on having to make another trip for just that one item.

Besides, the Zalman has a red LED and the Gigabyte has a blue, and red is faster than blue (well in cars anyway)....... ;)

TRENDING THREADS