SLI Stops Alt-Tab?

falcon1209

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004
I've recently installed SLI on my computer and now that its working, for the most part, I can't alt tab out of games. I will try and the screen will freeze, the mouse pointer reverts to windows default and nothing happens. I can try to get my start bar up but the last screen from the game will blur where the start bar would appear, as if its rising from the bottom. I really dont know if this is a unavoidable problem, easy fix, or rare occurance.

Thank you.

A8N-SLI Deluxe
2 x EVGA 7800gt
Athlon 64 4000+
Corsair Twinx 3200xlpro
Enermax 600W Noisetaker

If you need more info just let me know. I think this should be substantial.

gersson

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
You are correct -- its a bug or whatever it is. Just dont alt tab and you wont have to worry about it. Actually, I've found that if you press ctrl alt delete and continue to alt tab it will eventually work.

Dafaad

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I found this to be true as well on some games. When using a single display adapter, some games failed to alt + tab correctly as well. This functionality is dependent on the game manufactuers adaption of the alt + tab function for single cards. One would expect that if the game worked for single cards it would for dual. What is going to happen when we have quad or more? I think this is an area that needs to be looked into by Operating System/DirectX and display adapter driver programmers.

So stand up and scream...you need to be heard!

There may be possible problems in power management arena as well.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Try:

Alt+Tab
Alt+Tab,Tab
Alt+Tab,Tab,Tab
and so on.

Until you can see other windows.

Ctrl+Alt+Del may also help, combined with out.

And also [WinKey] + L to lock the PC, then try unlocking it again, it should 'restore' to the desktop with the game minimized.

Tasking out of full screen D3D / OpenGL applications isn't a smart idea anyway.

Can you run the game in a windowed mode ?, even at the same res as your desktop... may be able to use MSN, etc while gaming if so.

You may be waiting for Windows Vista and DX10 until this works correctly.... and even then doubt it.