AMD vs Intel ((Under 1000$)) Idea

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
What If Intel Fan Boys and AMD fan boys were given 1000$ each and told to build them self’s the ultimate under 1000$ machine would you Intel’ers and AMD’ers take the challenge? I mean including putting it through every test possible, starting from the easy and soft benchmarking to Frame rate testing and the stability testing to energy consumption all the way to maximum Over clock, until it basically melts apart or breaks and blows the CPU.

I dare any group of you people to do it, Because not only me but most of the forum users would love to see some actual race going on, like the Race to the moon, only TG forum style and maybe Tom's hardware will even put it up, because I also need to buy a computer under 800$ Canadian and I have no idea what to use or build or how.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
And I would have loved to help out or even partisipated but i'm, only about 16 and only have a limited allowance and this is just an idea. And i know many of you here are making breafcase loads more money, than i probbaly will in the next 5 years.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I really like your idea except that it lacks direction. Your asking people to prepare for a race before they see the track. An Indy car is not going to be worth spit in a muddin race. You need to define what the end systems need to be good at. In other words what do you plan to do with your system? Encode video? Transcode audio? Play games? Surf the internet?

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
In all honesty....get an Xbox360. It is amazing and Live is the most seamless online gaming experience someone could ever want. It is also MUCH more powerful than any machine u could get for less than a $1000.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Well obviously, The basics like a Monitor and a keyboard and the PC case and the mouse and the webcam and MIC and Speakers, would not be included because it would be a "Ultimate PC" under 1000$ and the other things would just be there to compliment it, but Fans and Heat sink and everything else would be taken from that 1000$ Budget.

And it does not have to be So linear, It just has to include any AMD processor and any Intel Processor and then it's up to you guys to make it fast, either you buy an expensive one and over clock a bit, To keep it's original stability or buy a medium range and super clock it, and do the volt core and cooling tweaks to make it really fast. It's all up to you guys but the goal is to keep it all fast and stable under the "Average Geeks" 1000$ Budget. 8)

"..all the way to maximum Over clock, until it basically melts apart or breaks and blows the CPU."

Some out there are that motivated, OC hobbyists, etc....

When you have your $1000 system, you can melt it, and blow your *own* cpu! :)

(Such a system would lkely be a $90 NF4 or RD480 Crossfire board, a $200 A64/3500+ or Opty 148, a 7800GT video card, and a 120-160GB SATA hard drive, and at least one GB of Corsair XMS DDR, and a 450 watt PS by Antec)

Check out www.sharkyexteme.com

They have very good guides for building systems at the $1000, $2500, and $4000 price points

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Well it just a suggestion for the builders who are thinking about that 1000$ ultimate PC i did'nt say thay have to Overclock to max it's just a suggestion to keep the price tag of the PC it self under 1000$ and every thing else that will be directly atttached wil come directly outof the 1000$ so yeah , http://www.sharkyextreme.com/
would be a great place to look too, and i will clock it to the max stable/and longest life. i can get from any practical tests.

"...and do the volt core and cooling tweaks to make it really fast."

Fast in what?

Super Pi? (cpu/mem) 3dmark06? (80% gpu) F.E.A.R? (90% gpu)

If you want a "Fast" (by todays standards for gaming) system, about $550 wll be devoted to a 1900XT or a pair of 7800GTs; and if you intend to play at a high resolution, a $200 cpu gets about the same gaming framerates as a $1100 FX60, so wasting $150 on cpu water coolng rigs is money better spent on SLI and/or better video cards...

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Exactly "so wasting $150 on cpu water coolng rigs is money better spent on SLI and/or better video cards..." that's the delema most people think about when they are strapped with a budget to get them self a new computer, to either spend some extra cash and get a better Video card or a Water cooling system or get a card with a fan cooling system, its pretty confusing to Noobs like us eh!

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
What If Intel Fan Boys and AMD fan boys were given 1000$ each and told to build them self’s the ultimate under 1000$ machine would you Intel’ers and AMD’ers take the challenge? I mean including putting it through every test possible, starting from the easy and soft benchmarking to Frame rate testing and the stability testing to energy consumption all the way to maximum Over clock, until it basically melts apart or breaks and blows the CPU.

I dare any group of you people to do it, Because not only me but most of the forum users would love to see some actual race going on, like the Race to the moon, only TG forum style and maybe Tom's hardware will even put it up, because I also need to buy a computer under 800$ Canadian and I have no idea what to use or build or how.

(Quoted to save scrolling, if anything).

We are talking US$ here right, as I am in Australia, so how would the currency conversion work ?.
- Would it be US$ / AU$ current exchange rate ?
- Would it be what the US$ prices are for the goods I purchase, using AU$ ?

There is enough of a difference (significant to spec) to ask, that's all.

How are you 'reviewing' the systems aswell ?
- eg: Cooling, ventilation, longtivity (PSU, etc), processor / overall / HDD / 3D / etc performance, and the like ?
- Would it be 'similar' to the old iCOMP (1.0 - 3.0) ratings Intel used on the 486 - Pentium II/III processors for overall performance ?

I am considering accepting your challenge, but would require the information (above, remember Internet = International) as I can always just sell the system off once it is built or use it as a 'demo' box.

I think people here already know what parts I am likely to use in it though. :p

Honestly don't see a large number of Intel machines being submitted (even paper specs) as the value / dollars ratio may be in favour of AMD. Although, of the few Intel ones that may be submitted I suspect to see some well thought out Intel machines.

I think a 'Space Race', but with AMD vs Intel(vs others if any are left) would be interesting if over 50 different machines where in 'the race', 25 from each side in as close to the price limit as possible with a +/-3% price tollerance.

It is honestly a good way to encourage media attention, when most the media / articles this quarter (until CeBit) are going to be 'lame' in comparison.

Bear in mind that prices drop over time, and flux considerably at times, Feb - March is good CPU buying time, mid April for Video cards... then Oct - Nov for CPUs and Vid-Cards again. After March CPU prices may very well rise. (At least the supply price will, the street price will be the same if the existing markups cover it).

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Wow thanks TabrisDarkPeace for taking interest in this, topic Well the information you need i probbly wouldn't be a great ammount of help, but if any AMD and Intel Experts can help me out by posting and helping TabrisDarkPeace out a bit here it would be great. Yea, if media attention can get onto this test it would be awsome because some people would like to see the latest CPUs put upto practical and well recorded tests. Because of all this Hyperthraeding and hyper transport and 64-bit systems we're getting confused on which one to buy and what they are good for and what they can in real application do for us.

Please any INTEL pro's and any AMD pro's help me out here. please and thanks :)