will 3700 bottleneck x1900xt?

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
i wont tell you the other stats of the system caus ethey will definetly not bottleneck the video card, the processor is the only thing i skimped on.(instead of fx 57 or fx 60)

RichPLS

Champion
BTW, I have some very nice high performance Mickey Thompson racing slicks. How much traction will they give me at the track? I won't bore you with the details of my rod, just let me tell you it aint holding me back!!!

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
fine, i just meant that all the other components were high end and shouldn't hold back the video card but anyways the stats are

athlon 3700+
4x512mb ocz rev2 ddr400
asus a8n sli premium
wd 250 16mb 7200rpm hd

don't think anything else would affect it

gersson

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
You should OC it just in case since your memory is godly and beyond reproach.

I have this: OCZ PC4000 2x1024 EB Platinum. I oced my 3500+ to 2.7Ghz

Too bad my CPU wouldnt let me go further cos my mem goes to 550 DDR

RichPLS

Champion
Actually, lower resolutions like 1280x1024 and lower are CPU limited, that is why the two top co's cards flatline out, being held back by the CPU.
Then when you see them drop from 100+fps to 30fps, you are using the card full bore.
Unless you keep that bus loaded with a fast processor, the card burns clock cycles...

jonno

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
That the system that i am using and it matches A1 the 3700 is less than 10FPS than the FX57 in most games. It aslso has the same core :twisted:

endyen

Splendid
Of course it will, in some games, just as the gfx card will bottleneck it in others.
The 3700 is the best price/performance chip out there right now.
It's a great match with that video card. It might even stand up to a quick gfx upgrade.
Looks like the type of system that makes me a little green with envy.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
how bout at higher resolutions cause i got a really good crt monitor, i think viewsonic g90fb or something i can't remember but it goes to 1900x 1600 or something, i don't feel like looking it up

if it still is not a suitable processor for this system then what would you recommend

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
the cpu chart only tells you which cpu is better, i already know and only want to know if it will lower the performance of the video card cause i'm spending lots of money on a vid card and want to use all its potetial, and by the way the fx 7 would be great but at a 1000 more cad its not worth it. maybe next year i'll get an fx 60

endyen

Splendid
I would certainly recommend that combo over a same priced setup, with a better chip. An fx chip may give you better framerates, but the 3700 is not going to give poor framerates for a long time. At high res, and lots of eye candy, your gfx card is more likely to be the bottleneck.
I think that chip would be good, even with crossfire, and two of those gfx cards.

RichPLS

Champion
I would never recommend a FX chip to anyone but the most elite rich bastard who has to have it all regardless of cost, and then they could do better for a PC if that was the case.
If you have to have one of the fastest, a cheaper Opteron 180 stock beats the FX-60 in certain apps, others it looses, and they both will overclock to approximately the same potential, just one costs less.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
yeah and i don't even plan on getting dual cards cause its an ati card while i got an nforce4 chipset which won't run crossfire, and even if it did i wouldn't cause its a big waste of money.
i could spend twice the money and get dual x1900xtx's and an fx 60 or 57 and still not see many differences

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
no way the socket 939 3700 wont bottleneck anything cuase pci-e 16 runs at 1533 mhz and the fsb on all 939 cpu's is 2000 mhz but really it's 1000 mhz cause it goes both way's also you need fast ram

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your stuff is out of my league but I think you made a good choice "skimping" a little on the CPU. Think about it this way:

Being CPU bound at low res matters not at all except for benchie bragging rights. At low res you are going to be getting fantastic frame rates that are totally smooth. Even if a better CPU could get better scores you will never see it.

What matters is the bottleneck at the res you want to run with the setting where you want them to be, which is not going to be low res.