Newbie needs guidance in seeking out add-on scenery.

I'm pretty new to MS FS. I can take off and land with little problem
and navigate easily with GPS. It's fun to take virtual trips through
locations that I've only seen at ground level.

I would like to add on scenery but don't know where to access it from.

Are freeware downloads any good and relitively safe (viruswise)?
Are payware downloads worth the cost?
Is the software easy to install?

I have the Century of Flight edition. I particularly like the realtime
weather feature. It does seem to be short of plane types though.
Any ways to include other planes without having to re-invent the
wheel?

Any help anyone can offer would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Paul S.
6 answers Last reply
More about newbie guidance seeking scenery

    Welcome to the world of wannabe reality. You can download some of the most
    beautiful sceneries ever created for FS9.

    Some of the payware have free samples to get the feel of whats going on.
    The best of the freeware is available from the big portals. Flightsim.com,
    Avsim.com, Simviation.com all have aircraft, sceneries, panels (dashboards)
    and sound files to download.

    Lately, people in there own countries have been getting together to create
    very detailed sceneries to show how beautiful there countries actually are.
    France, Greece, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and a bunch of others are
    the most beautiful.

    Also, go to Tony Smiths Gateway: http://www.msfsgateway.com/ here you will
    find the most up-to-date places for everything you could ever imagine for
    Flight Sim. Under the Sceneries, the second link down is Valhalla. This is
    always updated. Every country is represented and anything new is updated
    daily. This is a great place to always check to see whats offered.

    By the way, since you are now curious at to what the rest of the world looks
    like. Have you tried flying with real people instead of AI planes?? Try
    Vatsim.net for the most realistic flying on the WWW. Also, for offline
    planes to make the world look more real you can try
    http://www.projectai.com/index.php

    They have an installer, packages for commercial and GA (General Aviation)
    and a very long list of carriers by country. Check it out.

    Good luck, and if you have any questions just ask away.

    Mark G
    TIA2077
    Transinternationalairlines.com

    "Paganguy" <psiwy@mountaincable.net> wrote in message
    > I'm pretty new to MS FS. I can take off and land with little problem
    > and navigate easily with GPS. It's fun to take virtual trips through
    > locations that I've only seen at ground level.
    >
    > I would like to add on scenery but don't know where to access it from.
    >
    > Are freeware downloads any good and relitively safe (viruswise)?
    > Are payware downloads worth the cost?
    > Is the software easy to install?
    >
    > I have the Century of Flight edition. I particularly like the realtime
    > weather feature. It does seem to be short of plane types though.
    > Any ways to include other planes without having to re-invent the
    > wheel?
    >
    > Any help anyone can offer would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Paul S.

    Hi Paul,

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:03:14 -0400, you wrote:

    > Any help anyone can offer would be most appreciated.

    I'm a bit late getting to this thread, but I thought I'd add my two
    cents for starters...

    As the others have mentioned, there's a great deal of freeware
    available; some of it extremely good, and some of it is not so great.
    There is also a good deal of payware available; again, some great,
    and some not so great.

    I don't know if you have a particular preference for certain types of
    planes, certain places to fly, etc., but since I mostly enjoy flying
    small prop planes over mountainous coastal areas, here are just a few
    of my favorite "must have" add-ons:

    Terrain Mesh:

    Anything from FSGenesis - both freeware and payware:

    http://portal.fsgenesis.net/

    Anything from Holger Sandmann - both freeware and payware. Holger
    does something special with his mesh/scenery products; he will hand
    paint accurate scenery features that greatly enhance the areas
    covered. For an example of some of this latest payware work, see the
    "Misty Fjords" scenery Here:

    http://www.fsaddon.com/

    His freeware work can be found at the avsim.com file library.

    Enhanced moon and stars:

    http://www.b314clipper.com/

    On that page, follow the "Support" and "Download" links, then scroll
    to the bottom of the page for "Real Stars" and "Real Moon".

    Generic runway/taxiway enhancements:

    aeu7.zip
    rlights.zip

    So far I only have one "Georender" scenery, and I really like it. It's
    the "Orcas Island" scenery from FSAddon, and it includes a nice
    enhanced KORS airport (small planes or helicopters only, as it's a
    pretty short runway).

    A few of my favorite payware planes:

    - From http://www.realairsimulations.com/ ...

    Super Decathlon
    SIAI Marchetti FS.260

    Soon I'll also be getting RealAir's Scout and Spitfire planes.

    - From http://www.flight1.com/ ...

    Piper Archer II

    If you get the Piper archer II, also get the freeware "Bandit Kit"
    from Peter McLeland here:

    http://www.petermcleland.com/logbook_001.htm

    Click on the "links" button to go to the download page.

    With Peter's Bandit Kit, you can create a "souped up/aerobatic"
    version of the Archer II, but you must first have the payware Archer
    II from flight1/Dreamfleet in order to use the Bandit Kit.

    More flight1/Dreamfleet planes I have and recommend:

    Piper Meridian
    Cessna 152
    Cessna 177
    Cessna 421

    I'm thinking about getting the flight1 Cessna 172 as well. The only
    flight1 plane I have that I can't recommend without reservation is
    the Cessna 441, as I just don't feel they did quite as good a job on
    this plane as they have on the others.

    There's a lot more to mention, but if you're interested in flying
    small planes, the mesh, sceneries, and planes above should give you a
    good start.

    - --
    Melissa

    PGP Public Keys: http://www.freewebs.com/kuviahunnihautik/

    Lawn Dart wrote:

    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:03:14 -0400, you wrote:
    >

    >>Any help anyone can offer would be most appreciated.
    >

    > I'm a bit late getting to this thread, but I thought I'd add my two
    > cents for starters...
    >
    > As the others have mentioned, there's a great deal of freeware
    > available; some of it extremely good, and some of it is not so great.

    And I have most of both. Can't delete any of it, might need it later.

    I learned my lesson well. When a message like this comes along I no
    longer mark it as important and save it to a special folder. I just
    forward it to my Yahoo email account. With a zillion megs of space
    available just with linking email id's it's a much safer way to keep the
    important things.

    And looking at my saved messages, I see quite a few names from this
    group. Every person here has advice or suggestions on "something" that
    should be remembered. Sorry Q, while I do have a few of your pearls
    saved, I haven't saved many of the "over" 30,000 procedures. I have
    heard it many times over the years, above 500 ft AGL is nose-bleed
    altitude. Marcel, keep a log of your "under" 700 ft AGL flight so we can
    hear about it. :)

    --

    boB

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    Dallas wrote:

    > "Paganguy"
    >
    >>I never quite understood before I purchased Century of Flight how
    >>someone would find just flying a plane entertaining.
    >

    > Yeah, it's incredible how I can have the choice of flying an F-15 in Jane's
    > or a Cessna in FS9.. and find the Cessna more fun.
    >

    >>I look forward to expanding the aircraft in my modest hanger and
    >>adding to the scenery within my basic program.
    >

    > If you can scrape up a couple of bucks you should consider a payware
    > aircraft, they add a whole new dimension to the sim.
    >
    > I can personally recommend the new Flight1 Beech A-36 as a good starting
    > point.
    >
    > Here is my little virtual Beech A-36 tour:
    > http://bbillionaire.photosite.com/flight1beecha36/
    >
    > (Hit the view slideshow button)
    >
    > Flight1 is here:
    > http://www.flight1.com
    >
    > Hum... I think I'll go fly mine now. :-)
    >
    > Dallas

    Probably before buying a payware plane, you might want to try the
    different aircraft and different ways they are flown. Some like
    cruising at 35,000 feet and calculating the decent angle and rate to
    arrive at the IAF exactly as the altimeter reads 3000 ft.

    Or, like Melissa, try the bush planes going in and out of small out of
    the way grass strips. OR, you can try your hand with Helicopters. Once
    you have decided what type of flying you like best, then look at the
    good quality payware aircraft.

    HEY!!!! Come to think of it, I don't know of a single payware
    helicopter out there. That seems to be an untapped area of flight simming.

    --

    boB

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    I have found that signing up to the following daily newsletters gives me
    something to consider downloading every day,

    Avsim. com
    SurClaro Flight Simulations
    FSimCafe.com

    Cheers,

    Quilly

    Melissa: In addition to your other planes, you must absolutely get
    Dreamfleet's A-36. Remember when you got the Archer how much you liked it?
    With the A-36 you will love it. Sweetest GA plane you will ever fly. Bill
    "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

> [...]
    >
    > http://www.petermcleland.com/logbook_001.htm
    >
    > Click on the "links" button to go to the download page.
    >
    > With Peter's Bandit Kit, you can create a "souped up/aerobatic"
    > version of the Archer II, but you must first have the payware Archer
    > II from flight1/Dreamfleet in order to use the Bandit Kit.
    >
    > More flight1/Dreamfleet planes I have and recommend:
    >
    > Piper Meridian
    > Cessna 152
    > Cessna 177
    > Cessna 421
    >
    > I'm thinking about getting the flight1 Cessna 172 as well. The only
    > flight1 plane I have that I can't recommend without reservation is
    > the Cessna 441, as I just don't feel they did quite as good a job on
    > this plane as they have on the others.
    >
    > There's a lot more to mention, but if you're interested in flying
    > small planes, the mesh, sceneries, and planes above should give you a

Microsoft Video Games