Connect remote office with two VPN routers?

Last response: in Networking
July 31, 2004 2:35:05 AM

Hi,

I have two VPN routers (D-LINK DI808HV) and have established a secure VPN
between the two. I can ping a remote PC by IP to confirm it.

The problem is what other routing is needed to have the PC's in the remote
location see the LAN and login to the domain on the LAN?

Here is the setup;

<remote_winxp_192.168.1.135>--<Dlink_192.168.1.1>--VPN--<Dlink_192.168.0.1>-
-<Win2k3_server_192.168.0.104_&_LAN_10.1.30.20>
DNS and DHCP is on LAN at 10.1.30.26. The LAN is a Windows Active Directory
domain.
The remote PC's are all members of the domain - joined while at the main
office before being moved to the remote office.
The Win2k3 server has two nics - one to the LAN and one to the DLINK.

It's possible to set up routes in the routers, on the remote workstations or
in the server, but I don't know where?
Do I need to bridge the two adapters in the Win2K3 box?

Given the above scenario, what routing has to take place to allow the remote
machines to log in to the LAN and browse the domain?
I read there was a need for a WINS server? I wll try that now.
I really need to get this working, but have little experience so I really
appreciate all or any advise.

Thanks,

Steve

--

(to reply remove the two)
Anonymous

I now have an additional WINS server in the Win2K3 machine that has 2 nics.
I can browse the LAN from the remote location. I just can't ping or connect
to any LAN IP address? This must be a routing problem, but where and how do
I set up a route so that a machine with an IP of 192.168.1.x can hit a
machine with a 10.1.30.x address?

Anyone?

Thank you,

Steve

--

(to reply remove the two)
"Horem" <horem21@rogers.com> wrote in message
[...]

July 31, 2004 5:21:23 PM

"Horem" <horem21@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<rtCOc.2665$%ir.275@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> I now have an additional WINS server in the Win2K3 machine that has 2 nics.
> I can browse the LAN from the remote location. I just can't ping or connect
> to any LAN IP address? This must be a routing problem, but where and how do
> I set up a route so that a machine with an IP of 192.168.1.x can hit a
> machine with a 10.1.30.x address?

Is there a reason why you're using 2 nics and forcing traffic from the
D-Link to go through the server to get to the 10.1.30.x LAN? It would
be simplier if you just placed the D-Link directly on the 10.1.30.x
LAN.

To make it work with your current setup, you'll have to enter a static
route into the D-Link to tell it to route traffic destined for
10.1.30.x through the server's 192.168.0.104 address. Traffic from
10.1.30.x destined for 192.168.1.x needs to be routed through the
server's 10.1.30.20 address. You might be able to enter a static
route into the router used for your default gateway to handle that.
The Win2K3 server also needs to be willing to act as a router. I
don't know enough about Win servers to know if that requires any
configuring.

Bill
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 5:30:03 PM

"Horem" <horem21@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<rtCOc.2665$%ir.275@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> I now have an additional WINS server in the Win2K3 machine that has 2 nics.
> I can browse the LAN from the remote location. I just can't ping or connect
> to any LAN IP address? This must be a routing problem, but where and how do
> I set up a route so that a machine with an IP of 192.168.1.x can hit a
> machine with a 10.1.30.x address?

In addition to the static routes mentioned in my other message, you
might also need a static route in the Win2K3 server that routes
traffic destined for 192.168.1.x through the 192.168.0.1 D-Link
address.

Bill
!