Windows XP Boot - progress bar was never there before?

I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled XP Home, and now
when the system boots there is a black screen with a white
progress bar on the bottom that takes about 30 seconds to
finish before it goes to the XP logo page with the "cylon"
eye at the bottom. This is an extra step in the boot
sequence that was never there before. Did I do something
wrong, or can a modify a setting to take it away?
Please help.
Gene
3 answers Last reply
More about windows boot progress before

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:52:52 -0700, Gene wrote:

    > I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled XP Home, and now
    > when the system boots there is a black screen with a white
    > progress bar on the bottom that takes about 30 seconds to
    > finish before it goes to the XP logo page with the "cylon"
    > eye at the bottom. This is an extra step in the boot
    > sequence that was never there before. Did I do something
    > wrong, or can a modify a setting to take it away?
    > Please help.
    > Gene

    You did nothing wrong. This is a normal step in the boot process. Before
    the restore, it probably whizzed by so fast that you did not see it.
    Something has changed in your startup services and you now see the screen.

    One setting that you could try is in System Properties> Advanced> Startup
    and Recovery> Settings. Uncheck the box for a timeout to display operating
    systems. This will change the timeout value in boot.ini from 30 seconds to
    0. However, if you only have one operating system installed, you probably
    won't see a difference in the current boot events.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
  3. XpJAY said:
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/long-boot-up-with-white-loading-bar-158876.htmlI had the exact same problem in the same situation in xp and a defragment worked. I got the idea from

    There is a progress bar because the systems boot settings might have been changed or the system may be old and the files need time to load but in this case it's be cause it can't fin the boot skin this is just normal it's just that it can't dons the boot skin or it didn't load properly

    Blox Computers Corporation

Boot Hard Drives Windows XP