Networking 2 PC's

G

I am trying to network 2 Pc's together with NIC's. I am running Win 98 on both. I have all the hardware including crossover cable but I don't know how to configure them. Can anybody help?

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm, from what I remember, you must make 2 computers' workgroup the same, make 2 network cards' IPs within the range of 192.168.0.x, and then name each computers uniquely. Then with file and print sharing installed, you should be able to share data by making some folders sharable within the network. All those networking thing can be done in Network in Control Panel and the sharing folder thing can be done by right-clicking the folder and choose Sharing...

I know there are many more guides out there that is more elaborated, but for a quick guide, that's what you can do. Hope this helps.

------------------
This site is cool.

G

Machow is mostly correct. In the network settings you need to have the following installed:
Adapter
Client - (Client for Microsoft Networks)
Protocol - (NetBEUI...You don't need to use TCP/IP in such a network and thuse wont bother having to mess around with IPs unless your are planning on using ICS or something to connect to the internet with both of them)
Service - File and Printer Sharing
Aside from that clarification, do what machow said and you'll be fine