Closed

Buy OEM Windows 7 (or System Builder), or wait on 8?

So I have my new PC Build running Windows 8 Developer Preview, and wondered if I should purchase 7.
I am wondering if I should purchase this: http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I

or continue using the dev build, and buy Windows 8 when it releases. Suggestions?
6 answers Last reply
More about windows system builder wait
  1. My approach had always been ..... anything before SP3 is a Beta and I wasn't going to deal with an office full of beta software in a production environment. But I have to admit, Windows 7 SP1 wasn't bad at all. At this point, I'm buying Win7 Pro and won't be looking at 8 until at least 6 months after the release date.
  2. I have to admit the boot times are insane in the Dev Preview. Seems like less than 10 seconds and I am using just a standard Hard Drive. Hate to say this, but the dev preview seems quicker and more polished than Ubuntu 11.10.

My Dev Preview expires March 11th, so I wonder when Windows 8 will be out to the general market (OEM and System Builder DVDs)
  3. SingingThroughTheStorm said:
    Dev Preview expires March 11th, so I wonder when Windows 8 will be out to the general market
    Next month (Feb) the Windows 8 Beta will be available.
    Sometime after that will be the Release Candidate and then the retail/oem products in general release sometime (latest guess/rumor) around October.
  4. You definately won't be dissapointed with Windows 7. Imo its Microsoft's most complete and stable build since Win 2K. It's fast and never crashes.

I might just stick with Win 7 for the next couple of years, since a lot of the features in 8 doesn't really belong in a desktop OS imo.

The Win 8 Taskman, is so far the only awesome thing I've seen from the new OS
  5. chriscornell said:
    You definately won't be dissapointed with Windows 7. Imo its Microsoft's most complete and stable build since Win 2K. It's fast and never crashes.

I might just stick with Win 7 for the next couple of years, since a lot of the features in 8 doesn't really belong in a desktop OS imo.

The Win 8 Taskman, is so far the only awesome thing I've seen from the new OS

I have been using 7 on my laptop for quite some time and I agree that it is a great OS.
    The Win 8 Taskmanager is a plus, as you mentioned.

Is this any different from Windows 7 OEM?
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I

It is perfectly good and legal to use System Builder on my personal PC since I AM the system builder?
Ask a new question

Read More

System Builder Windows 7 Build Windows 8