Buy OEM Windows 7 (or System Builder), or wait on 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My approach had always been ..... anything before SP3 is a Beta and I wasn't going to deal with an office full of beta software in a production environment. But I have to admit, Windows 7 SP1 wasn't bad at all. At this point, I'm buying Win7 Pro and won't be looking at 8 until at least 6 months after the release date.

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
I have to admit the boot times are insane in the Dev Preview. Seems like less than 10 seconds and I am using just a standard Hard Drive. Hate to say this, but the dev preview seems quicker and more polished than Ubuntu 11.10.

My Dev Preview expires March 11th, so I wonder when Windows 8 will be out to the general market (OEM and System Builder DVDs)

Next month (Feb) the Windows 8 Beta will be available.
Sometime after that will be the Release Candidate and then the retail/oem products in general release sometime (latest guess/rumor) around October.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
You definately won't be dissapointed with Windows 7. Imo its Microsoft's most complete and stable build since Win 2K. It's fast and never crashes.

I might just stick with Win 7 for the next couple of years, since a lot of the features in 8 doesn't really belong in a desktop OS imo.

The Win 8 Taskman, is so far the only awesome thing I've seen from the new OS

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

I have been using 7 on my laptop for quite some time and I agree that it is a great OS.
The Win 8 Taskmanager is a plus, as you mentioned.

Is this any different from Windows 7 OEM?
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I

It is perfectly good and legal to use System Builder on my personal PC since I AM the system builder?

Status
Not open for further replies.