Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

1 phone-2 numbers?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
August 27, 2004 7:40:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I split my time between my St. Louis office and a branch in Tampa.

Having Tampa customers call my St. Louis # with the area code is confusing and a
pain for them. And for me to call them while in Tampa.

I heard that you can get 2 numbers on 1 phone?
Could I get a Tampa area code number added to my phone? (Moto V400)

Thanks!

More about : phone numbers

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 8:17:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <q0bti0502j5lti3cdnp5h7641767jm1l6e@4ax.com> on Fri, 27 Aug 2004 03:40:22
GMT, Jay <NOOOOO@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I split my time between my St. Louis office and a branch in Tampa.
>
>Having Tampa customers call my St. Louis # with the area code is confusing and a
>pain for them. And for me to call them while in Tampa.
>
>I heard that you can get 2 numbers on 1 phone?
>Could I get a Tampa area code number added to my phone? (Moto V400)

What did your carrier say?

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
August 27, 2004 9:29:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Jay" <NOOOOO@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:q0bti0502j5lti3cdnp5h7641767jm1l6e@4ax.com...
> I split my time between my St. Louis office and a branch in Tampa.
>
> Having Tampa customers call my St. Louis # with the area code is confusing
and a
> pain for them. And for me to call them while in Tampa.
>
> I heard that you can get 2 numbers on 1 phone?
> Could I get a Tampa area code number added to my phone? (Moto V400)
>
> Thanks!

Dual NAMs are not uncommon, but can you get ONE phone that will respond to
TWO different phone numbers at the same time?

I had a Motorola analog flip phone, from back in the Cellular One days, that
had dual NAMs, but it had to be switched on to one number or the other.
Callers that tried to get through on the other number were treated as though
the cell phone were turned off--they either got an out-of-area message or
they went directly to voicemail.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 9:51:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <SEzXc.5173$Y%3.4125@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Fri, 27 Aug 2004
05:29:22 GMT, "Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.thanks.com> wrote:

>"Jay" <NOOOOO@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:q0bti0502j5lti3cdnp5h7641767jm1l6e@4ax.com...
>> I split my time between my St. Louis office and a branch in Tampa.
>>
>> Having Tampa customers call my St. Louis # with the area code is confusing and a
>> pain for them. And for me to call them while in Tampa.
>>
>> I heard that you can get 2 numbers on 1 phone?
>> Could I get a Tampa area code number added to my phone? (Moto V400)

>Dual NAMs are not uncommon, but can you get ONE phone that will respond to
>TWO different phone numbers at the same time?

It's called Alternate Line Service.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
August 27, 2004 11:05:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Jeremy wrote:

> "Jay" <NOOOOO@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:q0bti0502j5lti3cdnp5h7641767jm1l6e@4ax.com...
>
>>I split my time between my St. Louis office and a branch in Tampa.
>>
>>Having Tampa customers call my St. Louis # with the area code is confusing
>
> and a
>
>>pain for them. And for me to call them while in Tampa.
>>
>>I heard that you can get 2 numbers on 1 phone?
>>Could I get a Tampa area code number added to my phone? (Moto V400)
>>
>>Thanks!
>
>
> Dual NAMs are not uncommon, but can you get ONE phone that will respond to
> TWO different phone numbers at the same time?
>
> I had a Motorola analog flip phone, from back in the Cellular One days, that
> had dual NAMs, but it had to be switched on to one number or the other.
> Callers that tried to get through on the other number were treated as though
> the cell phone were turned off--they either got an out-of-area message or
> they went directly to voicemail.
>

I'm unaware of any cellular handset that allows more than one NAM to be
active during the same nanosecond. Manually switching between NAMs is a
simple matter.


--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
what we know." -- Richard Wilbur
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 11:11:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <SEzXc.5173$Y%3.4125@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.thanks.com> wrote:

> > I split my time between my St. Louis office and a branch in Tampa.
> >
> > Having Tampa customers call my St. Louis # with the area code is confusing
> and a
> > pain for them. And for me to call them while in Tampa.
> >
> > I heard that you can get 2 numbers on 1 phone?
> > Could I get a Tampa area code number added to my phone? (Moto V400)
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Dual NAMs are not uncommon, but can you get ONE phone that will respond to
> TWO different phone numbers at the same time?

Nextel can do that.
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 6:09:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Jay <NOOOOO@yahoo.com> writes:

>I heard that you can get 2 numbers on 1 phone?
>Could I get a Tampa area code number added to my phone? (Moto V400)

Have you considered using voice over IP (VoIP)? Incoming lines are
on the order of $8/month. Then you'd pay two or three cents per
minute for an outgoing call to your mobile phone. That's if you
want to handle it on your own. (It would be good if your VoIP
number is used infrequently and you want to keep costs low).

Another option is to get a VoIP service that offers this service as
part of a package. VoicePulse, for example, calls it Multi-Ring.
http://www.voicepulse.com/features/advanced/MultiRing.a...
You would need to get one of their business plans, so that puts you
in the $50/month range but you could offset the cost by replacing a
landline with it. You can get as many "virtual numbers"
http://www.voicepulse.com/features/service/VirtualNumbe...
as you want.

One big advantage of going this route is that if you just give out
your VoIP number(s), you can switch mobile phone providers (or even
ring through to landlines) with ease. So if you want to let
someone else take care of business for a weekend, simply set the
calls to go to his number instead of yours.

--kyler
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 7:30:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <tZzXc.10011$54.143203@typhoon.sonic.net>, spamfilter0
@navasgroup.com says...
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <SEzXc.5173$Y%3.4125@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Fri, 27 Aug 2004
> 05:29:22 GMT, "Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.thanks.com> wrote:
>
> >"Jay" <NOOOOO@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >news:q0bti0502j5lti3cdnp5h7641767jm1l6e@4ax.com...
> >> I split my time between my St. Louis office and a branch in Tampa.
> >>
> >> Having Tampa customers call my St. Louis # with the area code is confusing and a
> >> pain for them. And for me to call them while in Tampa.
> >>
> >> I heard that you can get 2 numbers on 1 phone?
> >> Could I get a Tampa area code number added to my phone? (Moto V400)
>
> >Dual NAMs are not uncommon, but can you get ONE phone that will respond to
> >TWO different phone numbers at the same time?
>
> It's called Alternate Line Service.
>
>

Wasn't offered by Cingular here the last time I checked but is available
from some other GSM carriers. BUT, if you do a Google usenet search on
it there's a lot of problems. Apparently it complicates ROAMING no end,
ie one line may roam but the other won't and voice mail is usually on
the one that doesn't etc etc. Guess there hasn't been enough demand for
it for the carriers to work out the bugs. Would be nice though--I could
probably drop my one-number service with it. Maybe next year Cingular
will have time to fix it.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 4:49:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>I heard that you can get 2 numbers on 1 phone?
>Could I get a Tampa area code number added to my phone? (Moto V400)
>

Not for several years now. And even then, only one was available at a time.

--
John S.
e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 4:51:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>Dual NAMs are not uncommon, but can you get ONE phone that will respond to
>TWO different phone numbers at the same time?

Never has that been an option - never!

Now, you can get two (land line) numbers, on in St Louis and one in Tampa and
forward them both to your cell phone.

This will increase your Long Distance phone bill but for business it might be
worth it.

--
John S.
e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 5:09:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

If you signed up with a real company...you know, one that used SIM cards you
can have two numbers on one phone easily. There's a special item that let's
you use two SIM cards in one phone and operate them at the same time. Since
Verizon doesn't use SIM cards and the rest of the world does, there's more
options and features in the SIM world.

"Jay" <NOOOOO@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:q0bti0502j5lti3cdnp5h7641767jm1l6e@4ax.com...
> I split my time between my St. Louis office and a branch in Tampa.
>
> Having Tampa customers call my St. Louis # with the area code is confusing
and a
> pain for them. And for me to call them while in Tampa.
>
> I heard that you can get 2 numbers on 1 phone?
> Could I get a Tampa area code number added to my phone? (Moto V400)
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 7:20:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <20040827205122.16070.00002988@mb-m21.aol.com>,
sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote:

> >Dual NAMs are not uncommon, but can you get ONE phone that will respond to
> >TWO different phone numbers at the same time?
>
> Never has that been an option - never!

Unless you count Nextel, which does this just fine.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 9:29:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <psUXc.20326$_57.11369@fe32.usenetserver.com> on Sat, 28 Aug 2004 01:09:40
-0400, "Killer Madness" <killer@nospam.net> wrote:

>If you signed up with a real company...you know, one that used SIM cards you
>can have two numbers on one phone easily. There's a special item that let's
>you use two SIM cards in one phone

True.

>and operate them at the same time.

Not true -- one or the other.

>Since
>Verizon doesn't use SIM cards and the rest of the world does, there's more
>options and features in the SIM world.

But not because of SIM cards, because of volume.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 11:32:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Killer Madness" <killer@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:p sUXc.20326$_57.11369@fe32.usenetserver.com...
> If you signed up with a real company...you know, one that used SIM cards
you
> can have two numbers on one phone easily. There's a special item that
let's
> you use two SIM cards in one phone and operate them at the same time.
Since
> Verizon doesn't use SIM cards and the rest of the world does, there's more
> options and features in the SIM world.
>
The SIM is not the qualifier- Nextel was using dual NAM's long before they
started using SIM cards.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 7:00:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Jay,

This is possible but Cingular does not sell the service.

Chip

Jay wrote:
> I split my time between my St. Louis office and a branch in Tampa.
>
> Having Tampa customers call my St. Louis # with the area code is confusing and a
> pain for them. And for me to call them while in Tampa.
>
> I heard that you can get 2 numbers on 1 phone?
> Could I get a Tampa area code number added to my phone? (Moto V400)
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 2:11:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Jay <NOOOOO@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<q0bti0502j5lti3cdnp5h7641767jm1l6e@4ax.com>...
> I split my time between my St. Louis office and a branch in Tampa.
>
> I heard that you can get 2 numbers on 1 phone?
> Could I get a Tampa area code number added to my phone? (Moto V400)

AFAIK, no. However you might see if Cingular allows a family plan to
be split amongst two area codes- one phone w/a Tampa #, and one with a
St. Louis number, and set one to forward to the other so both numbers
ring on one phone.

T-Mobile allows family plan phones to have different area codes.
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 5:31:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>T-Mobile allows family plan phones to have different area codes.

Sprint PCS does too.

--
John S.
e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 6:07:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <cgn804$vgv@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
wrote:

> I'm unaware of any cellular handset that allows more than one NAM to be
> active during the same nanosecond.

And you haven't read the thread enough to know that Nextel has been
doing this for some time.
August 29, 2004 9:10:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article <cgn804$vgv@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
> wrote:
>
>
>>I'm unaware of any cellular handset that allows more than one NAM to be
>>active during the same nanosecond.
>
>
> And you haven't read the thread enough to know that Nextel has been
> doing this for some time.
>

I'm sorry, I didn't intend to exclude any qualified handset with my
comment. For some reason, I've understood Nextel handsets were IDEN
instead of cellular. My bad.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
what we know." -- Richard Wilbur
August 29, 2004 10:46:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Ok, thanks for the repsonses, but I don't know a NAM from PAM.
It sounds like Cingular doesn't have the ability, and I just re-upped for
another 2 years. (2 months ago) :( 

I asked a couple of mopes at the Cingular kiosks at the mall and got blank
stares. I tried to contact customer support at Cingular, but it appears there is
no one that can answer a phone at Cingular.

So far the 800 # seems doable, but I'm still a little lost.
Do I just find some carrier that offers 800 numbers and have it assigned to my
cell phone #, or can I change where it rings at? A few years ago I had
remote-call forwarding but it was a little cumbersome.

Thanks for all the ideas and answers!
J
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 12:01:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <cgtk6k$q8r@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
wrote:

> For some reason, I've understood Nextel handsets were IDEN
> instead of cellular. My bad.

Diesel or gas, it's still a car. The technology under the hood doesn't
matter; the fact is, it makes and receives phone calls. Call it what
you will; society has settled on "cell phone". So be it.

If you want to get picky about what's under the hood, that's fine--but
don't expect anyone else to (a) know, or (b) care. Nextel phones can
have two phone numbers assigned to them at once, others can't/won't.

And guess what: they're all wireless, they're all portable, and they're
all phones.
August 30, 2004 12:10:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article <cgtk6k$q8r@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
> wrote:
>
>
>>For some reason, I've understood Nextel handsets were IDEN
>>instead of cellular. My bad.
>
>
> Diesel or gas, it's still a car. The technology under the hood doesn't
> matter; the fact is, it makes and receives phone calls. Call it what
> you will; society has settled on "cell phone". So be it.

Well, my guess is you've not coasted your '59 Austin-Healey Sprite
through the welcome doors of a modern Chevrolet repair shop - trust me,
EPS, the technology under the hood matters a great deal to those fine
individuals. Considering that, I'm not that certain technology doesn't
matter on this point, either. I'm certainly no cell phone guru, but
maybe one is floating around here somewhere and will kindly stick a nose
in this thread to help us all understand better why Nextel does dual-NAM
tricks and the others don't.

>
> If you want to get picky about what's under the hood, that's fine--but
> don't expect anyone else to (a) know, or (b) care. Nextel phones can
> have two phone numbers assigned to them at once, others can't/won't.

Then, your position also includes both numbers are simultaneously
usable, without the need to manually switch from one to the other?
(Since that was the original point of the poster that started this thread)

>
> And guess what: they're all wireless, they're all portable, and they're
> all phones.
>


--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
what we know." -- Richard Wilbur
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 12:49:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>And you haven't read the thread enough to know that Nextel has been
>doing this for some time.

But Nextel isn't Cellular. The previous poster was 100% correct.

You are the one that obviously needs to be paying attention!


--
John S.
e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 12:49:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <20040829164916.04711.00001480@mb-m21.aol.com>,
sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote:

> >And you haven't read the thread enough to know that Nextel has been
> >doing this for some time.
>
> But Nextel isn't Cellular. The previous poster was 100% correct.
>
> You are the one that obviously needs to be paying attention!

They're all wireless, they're all portable, and they're all phones.

I guess you'd look at a diesel car and say it's not a car, because it
doesn't run on gas like cars do. Trucks run on diesel, cars run on gas.
Whatever you want to think. Guess what? Society calls them all "cell
phones". They walk like a duck and quack like a duck and swim like a
duck; they're all ducks.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 2:05:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <cgtuog$79u@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
wrote:

> Then, your position also includes both numbers are simultaneously
> usable, without the need to manually switch from one to the other?
> (Since that was the original point of the poster that started this thread)

Yes.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 2:06:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <cgtuog$79u@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
wrote:

> > Diesel or gas, it's still a car. The technology under the hood doesn't
> > matter; the fact is, it makes and receives phone calls. Call it what
> > you will; society has settled on "cell phone". So be it.
>
> Well, my guess is you've not coasted your '59 Austin-Healey Sprite
> through the welcome doors of a modern Chevrolet repair shop - trust me,
> EPS, the technology under the hood matters a great deal to those fine
> individuals.

Sure, a Chevy dealer doesn't care what makes a Honda go. But society
calls them all cars. And society calls Nextel a cell phone, no matter
what's under the hood.

But you sit in your world and refuse to acknowledge that, for all
intents and purposes, Nextel is a cell phone.

An engineer cares as he's engineering the thing. But he doesn't
engineer it for the sake of engineering it; he engineers it to be used.
By people. People who call it a cell phone.

You really can separate the two concepts and acknowledge them as being
equally valid. You simply refuse to.
August 30, 2004 2:06:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article <cgtuog$79u@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
> wrote:
>
>
>>>Diesel or gas, it's still a car. The technology under the hood doesn't
>>>matter; the fact is, it makes and receives phone calls. Call it what
>>>you will; society has settled on "cell phone". So be it.
>>
>>Well, my guess is you've not coasted your '59 Austin-Healey Sprite
>>through the welcome doors of a modern Chevrolet repair shop - trust me,
>>EPS, the technology under the hood matters a great deal to those fine
>>individuals.
>
>
> Sure, a Chevy dealer doesn't care what makes a Honda go.

He/she better if he/she volunteers to fix it.

> But society
> calls them all cars. And society calls Nextel a cell phone, no matter
> what's under the hood.
>
> But you sit in your world and refuse to acknowledge that, for all
> intents and purposes, Nextel is a cell phone.
>
> An engineer cares as he's engineering the thing. But he doesn't
> engineer it for the sake of engineering it; he engineers it to be used.
> By people. People who call it a cell phone.
>
> You really can separate the two concepts and acknowledge them as being
> equally valid. You simply refuse to.

I'm not refusing a thing Elmo P, I (and maybe a few lurkers) am simply
trying to understand how a Nextel handset can answer up for two
different numbers simultaneously when others can't. I'm fairly certain
the answer is buried in a technology thing, unless Nextel incorporates a
crystal ball inside all their IDEN handsets.

I'm not denying the capability, I'm trying to understand the difference.


--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
what we know." -- Richard Wilbur
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 3:32:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <cgu3o2$qv9@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
wrote:

> I'm not refusing a thing Elmo P, I (and maybe a few lurkers) am simply
> trying to understand how a Nextel handset can answer up for two
> different numbers simultaneously when others can't.

Or won't.

Nextel tends not to cater to the same audience that the rest of the
carriers cater to. They focus strictly on voice and data for business
use. Any non-business use is incidental to them.

The other carriers, on the other hand, focus on and cater to personal
"entertainment" use. Hence the cameras, chat, etc. Any business use is
incidental to them. Their REAL income is from frivolous use by younger
people who have no concept of money, who spend everything they get.

It's not a matter of can't; it's a matter of won't. It's the business
plan.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 4:49:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>They walk like a duck and quack like a duck and swim like a
>duck; they're all ducks.

And stupidity comes in all forms.

What is it that you look like?

--
John S.
e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 8:12:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <cgtk6k$q8r@library2.airnews.net> on Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:10:09 -0500, Jer
<gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> In article <cgn804$vgv@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm unaware of any cellular handset that allows more than one NAM to be
>>>active during the same nanosecond.
>>
>> And you haven't read the thread enough to know that Nextel has been
>> doing this for some time.
>
>I'm sorry, I didn't intend to exclude any qualified handset with my
>comment. For some reason, I've understood Nextel handsets were IDEN
>instead of cellular. My bad.

:)  And of course not usable on Cingular, the subject of this newsgroup.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 8:12:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <DlIYc.11047$54.151621@typhoon.sonic.net>,
John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >I'm sorry, I didn't intend to exclude any qualified handset with my
> >comment. For some reason, I've understood Nextel handsets were IDEN
> >instead of cellular. My bad.
>
> :)  And of course not usable on Cingular, the subject of this newsgroup.

But the assertion was that "NO ONE does this". Bullshit. Nextel does
it.

Go make cell calls with Nextel if you need it. Oops--here comes Mr. A/V
Geek, going to correct me that Nextel makes iDEN calls.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 9:14:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <elmop-480CF7.20030529082004@text.usenetserver.com> on Sun, 29 Aug 2004
20:03:05 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <20040829164916.04711.00001480@mb-m21.aol.com>,
> sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote:
>
>> >And you haven't read the thread enough to know that Nextel has been
>> >doing this for some time.
>>
>> But Nextel isn't Cellular. The previous poster was 100% correct.
>>
>> You are the one that obviously needs to be paying attention!
>
>They're all wireless, they're all portable, and they're all phones.
>
>I guess you'd look at a diesel car and say it's not a car, because it
>doesn't run on gas like cars do. Trucks run on diesel, cars run on gas.
>Whatever you want to think. Guess what? Society calls them all "cell
>phones". They walk like a duck and quack like a duck and swim like a
>duck; they're all ducks.

By that logic, my cordless phone is a "cellular" phone, albeit with piss poor
coverage beyond my residence. :)  And try putting gas into your diesel and
see how far you get. There are limitations of iDEN as compared to cellular
that can make it unsuitable for the OP, who is posting in a Cingular newsgroup
after all.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 9:29:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <elmop-270677.20013929082004@text.usenetserver.com> on Sun, 29 Aug 2004
20:01:39 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <cgtk6k$q8r@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
>wrote:
>
>> For some reason, I've understood Nextel handsets were IDEN
>> instead of cellular. My bad.
>
>Diesel or gas, it's still a car.

But not terribly useful if only gas is available, and (like mobile phones)
commonly distinguished by name ("diesel car" versus just "car").

>The technology under the hood doesn't
>matter;

Of course it does, as noted above. If there's no iDEN coverage in the area,
then iDEN isn't a viable option. And you won't be able to use your Cingular
"cellular" phones on an iDEN network.

>the fact is, it makes and receives phone calls.

So does my landline.

>Call it what
>you will; society has settled on "cell phone". So be it.

Society is often sloppy about technical terms, These are more accurately
"mobile" phones, where cellular is simply the most common current of the
types, all of which are distinct and incompatible.

>If you want to get picky about what's under the hood, that's fine--but
>don't expect anyone else to (a) know, or (b) care.

Many of us here (a) know and (b) care, and this is after all the forum.

>Nextel phones can
>have two phone numbers assigned to them at once, others can't/won't.

Dual SIMs are available for GSM, and dual numbers have been available on
non-iDEN as well. It's probably not widely available now because it's proven
to be a problematic feature with low demand.

>And guess what: they're all wireless, they're all portable, and they're
>all phones.

So are my cordless phones at home. :) 

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 9:29:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <TtJYc.11079$54.151938@typhoon.sonic.net>,
John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >The technology under the hood doesn't
> >matter;
>
> Of course it does, as noted above. If there's no iDEN coverage in the area,
> then iDEN isn't a viable option. And you won't be able to use your Cingular
> "cellular" phones on an iDEN network.

It doesn't matter. Either I have coverage, or I don't. I don't care
WHY I don't have coverage; the issues are the same. My carrier made
choices about what area to cover and not cover. Whether it's iDEN,
TCMA, CDMA, GSM, etc.--it just doesn't matter. I'm using a cell phone
(portable, wireless, voice) and either I have coverage or I don't.

And either I can do two numbers at once or I can't.

Why you geekoids insist on going down to the code level and then assume
that anyone else cares, is beyond me.

It's a cell phone. iDEN is a subset of cell phones, as far as anyone
cares. But what they really care about is, do I have coverage or not?
Do I have a camera or not? Can I browse the web or not?

The more you insist on telling people that "no, you don't have a cell
phone, you have a Nextel," the more you look like the A/V geek in high
school, passing the time playing dungeons and dragons.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 9:29:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <TtJYc.11079$54.151938@typhoon.sonic.net>,
John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >And guess what: they're all wireless, they're all portable, and they're
> >all phones.
>
> So are my cordless phones at home. :) 

They're all wireless, they're all portable, that portability extends to
anywhere within the continental US at least, and they're all phones.

Tell me when your cordless phone at home can go 2000 miles away and make
a call on your home line.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 9:32:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <cgtuog$79u@library2.airnews.net> on Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:10:20 -0500, Jer
<gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>... I'm certainly no cell phone guru, but
>maybe one is floating around here somewhere and will kindly stick a nose
>in this thread to help us all understand better why Nextel does dual-NAM
>tricks and the others don't.

It's a legacy of what is basically obsolete technology (iDEN), much like the
original TDMA deployed here in the USA. About the only real advantage of iDEN
was PTT (push to talk), but that's now being neutralized.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 9:32:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <YwJYc.11080$54.151849@typhoon.sonic.net>,
John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> About the only real advantage of iDEN
> was PTT (push to talk), but that's now being neutralized.

By what?

No one else does PTT anywhere near as well or usefully as Nextel.

And PTT does have its advantages. It may be a bit niche, but it's a
very, very strong niche.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 1:26:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <elmop-B8F526.13493930082004@text.usenetserver.com> on Mon, 30 Aug 2004
13:49:39 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <DlIYc.11047$54.151621@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >I'm sorry, I didn't intend to exclude any qualified handset with my
>> >comment. For some reason, I've understood Nextel handsets were IDEN
>> >instead of cellular. My bad.
>>
>> :)  And of course not usable on Cingular, the subject of this newsgroup.
>
>But the assertion was that "NO ONE does this". Bullshit. Nextel does
>it.

No current cellular does. Nextel is iDEN.

>Go make cell calls with Nextel if you need it. Oops--

Oops indeed -- won't work with my handsets.

>here comes Mr. A/V
>Geek, going to correct me that Nextel makes iDEN calls.

In fact it does only make iDEN calls, which is why Nextel handsets won't work
on other carriers, and iDEN features will only work on Nextel. In other
words, it's different. ;-)

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 1:26:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <elmop-9D17E2.13483130082004@text.usenetserver.com> on Mon, 30 Aug 2004
13:48:31 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <TtJYc.11079$54.151938@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >And guess what: they're all wireless, they're all portable, and they're
>> >all phones.
>>
>> So are my cordless phones at home. :) 
>
>They're all wireless, they're all portable, that portability extends to
>anywhere within the continental US at least, and they're all phones.
>
>Tell me when your cordless phone at home can go 2000 miles away and make
>a call on your home line.

Now you add a new qualifier. Are there more? Yes exclude technology as a
qualifier. Quite a tap dance. :) 

My cordless phone will work anywhere there's coverage, even when it's 2000
miles from my home. Just like my mobile phone, it just needs to be within
range of a base station. Which goes to show how silly your claim is. ;-)

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 1:26:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <elmop-A21968.13472430082004@text.usenetserver.com> on Mon, 30 Aug 2004
13:47:24 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <TtJYc.11079$54.151938@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >The technology under the hood doesn't
>> >matter;
>>
>> Of course it does, as noted above. If there's no iDEN coverage in the area,
>> then iDEN isn't a viable option. And you won't be able to use your Cingular
>> "cellular" phones on an iDEN network.
>
>It doesn't matter. ...

Of course it does, no matter what you may claim.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 1:26:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <NXMYc.11123$54.152327@typhoon.sonic.net>,
John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> In fact it does only make iDEN calls, which is why Nextel handsets won't work
> on other carriers,

And my ATTWS handset won't work on other carriers, either. Does that
make it bad?

Oh, but you're going to delve in and talk about how that's not a
TECHNICAL limitation, how it's just how ATTWS wants things to be. So
what? Who cares if the limitation is technical or political? "Won't
work on other carriers" is the same as "won't work on other carriers".
Either I can make a call, or I can't.

Navas again shows how he can't see the forest for the trees. What an
ass. But then, some things never change.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 1:26:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <NXMYc.11121$54.152207@typhoon.sonic.net>,
John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >> Of course it does, as noted above. If there's no iDEN coverage in the
> >> area,
> >> then iDEN isn't a viable option. And you won't be able to use your
> >> Cingular
> >> "cellular" phones on an iDEN network.
> >
> >It doesn't matter. ...
>
> Of course it does, no matter what you may claim.

If it matters to you, John, I'm proud to acknowledge that such minutae
matters not one whit to me.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 1:54:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

John and Shag,

Iden is a take off of GSM. I beleive that Nextel has roaming agreements
with oversees carriers. I beleive that if Nextel wanted to, they could
sign roaming agreements with all the US GSM carriers, and use there
network. They would just loose there Push to talk.

Chip

John Navas wrote:
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <elmop-B8F526.13493930082004@text.usenetserver.com> on Mon, 30 Aug 2004
> 13:49:39 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
>
>
>>In article <DlIYc.11047$54.151621@typhoon.sonic.net>,
>>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>>I'm sorry, I didn't intend to exclude any qualified handset with my
>>>>comment. For some reason, I've understood Nextel handsets were IDEN
>>>>instead of cellular. My bad.
>>>
>>> :)  And of course not usable on Cingular, the subject of this newsgroup.
>>
>>But the assertion was that "NO ONE does this". Bullshit. Nextel does
>>it.
>
>
> No current cellular does. Nextel is iDEN.
>
>
>>Go make cell calls with Nextel if you need it. Oops--
>
>
> Oops indeed -- won't work with my handsets.
>
>
>>here comes Mr. A/V
>>Geek, going to correct me that Nextel makes iDEN calls.
>
>
> In fact it does only make iDEN calls, which is why Nextel handsets won't work
> on other carriers, and iDEN features will only work on Nextel. In other
> words, it's different. ;-)
>
August 31, 2004 2:31:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Ralph Blach wrote:

> John and Shag,
>
> Iden is a take off of GSM. I beleive that Nextel has roaming agreements
> with oversees carriers. I beleive that if Nextel wanted to, they could
> sign roaming agreements with all the US GSM carriers, and use there
> network. They would just loose there Push to talk.
>
> Chip


I think Chip is a geekoid. :) )


--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
what we know." -- Richard Wilbur
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 3:18:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <elmop-B897C5.13433030082004@text.usenetserver.com> on Mon, 30 Aug 2004
13:43:30 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <YwJYc.11080$54.151849@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> About the only real advantage of iDEN
>> was PTT (push to talk), but that's now being neutralized.
>
>By what?
>
>No one else does PTT anywhere near as well or usefully as Nextel.

While GSM is coming last to the PTT party, GSM looks to trump other PTT
solutions in the long run, since GSM PTT is IP-based (over GPRS/EDGE),
making inter-GSM carrier PTT easy, and unlike CDMA, GSM PTT latency is
comparable to Nextel.

>And PTT does have its advantages. It may be a bit niche, but it's a
>very, very strong niche.

Indeed, and very, very vulnerable.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 3:18:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <elmop-CD3B46.17441730082004@text.usenetserver.com> on Mon, 30 Aug 2004
17:44:17 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <NXMYc.11121$54.152207@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >> Of course it does, as noted above. If there's no iDEN coverage in the
>> >> area,
>> >> then iDEN isn't a viable option. And you won't be able to use your
>> >> Cingular
>> >> "cellular" phones on an iDEN network.
>> >
>> >It doesn't matter. ...
>>
>> Of course it does, no matter what you may claim.
>
>If it matters to you, John, I'm proud to acknowledge that such minutae
>matters not one whit to me.

So noted.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 3:22:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <elmop-AA007C.17434130082004@text.usenetserver.com> on Mon, 30 Aug 2004
17:43:41 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <NXMYc.11123$54.152327@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> In fact it does only make iDEN calls, which is why Nextel handsets won't work
>> on other carriers,
>
>And my ATTWS handset won't work on other carriers, either.

Because ATTWS locks them, a problem easily avoided by buying an unlocked
handset.

>Does that
>make it bad?

I think so. Because my handsets are unlocked, I can and have changed carriers
freely, easily, and cheaply.

>Oh, but you're going to delve in and talk about how that's not a
>TECHNICAL limitation, how it's just how ATTWS wants things to be. So
>what? Who cares if the limitation is technical or political? "Won't
>work on other carriers" is the same as "won't work on other carriers".
>Either I can make a call, or I can't.

Business limitations can be avoided. Technical ones can't.

>Navas again shows how he can't see the forest for the trees. What an
>ass. But then, some things never change.

All that does is make you look the ass. Whatever.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
August 31, 2004 7:43:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

After seeing what this thread has deteriorated to, I'm sorry I asked.
J
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 10:46:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:<NXMYc.11123$54.152327@typhoon.sonic.net>...

> No current cellular does. Nextel is iDEN.

Jesus- my three year old daughter is better at letting a stupid
argument drop than you guys! What's with the pathological need to get
in the last word?

> >Go make cell calls with Nextel if you need it. Oops--
>
> Oops indeed -- won't work with my handsets.

Neither does CDMA! This whole "Nextel isn't cellular" argument might
have been valid in the old 800MHz analog-only A/B carrier days, but my
most definitions Sprint and T-Mo aren't "cellular" either- they aren't
800MHz.
So, if you have expanded YOUR definition of "cellular" to include
different frequencies and different technologies, then it's not too
much of a stretch to include iDen in the blanket of "wireless phones
that operate by registration with the network of a wireless service
provider", which most of us would, in casual conversation, likely
abbreviate to "wireless", "mobile" or "cellular" phone.



> In fact it does only make iDEN calls, which is why Nextel handsets won't work
> on other carriers, and iDEN features will only work on Nextel. In other
> words, it's different. ;-)

Correct- just a little more different as CDMA and GSM... Why no
stupid arguments over their claim to the term "cellular"?
(Particularly those hansets with no 800MHz "cellular" support?)

From the end user standpoint, in these United States of non-unified
wireless standards, Nextel is as "cellular" as any other wireless
carrier, regarless of what's under the hood. If we were an all-CDMA
or all-GSM nation where handsets were interchangeable between carriers
except for Nextel/iDen, you'd have a point for singling them out- but
virtually any criteria you use to exclude them (handsets not
compatible with others, different technology, frequency, etc.) fits
other carriers as well.

The purest reason to consider them "wireless" or "cellular"? Simple:
the other players in the industry consider them a competitor.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 5:11:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Jay <NOOOOO@yahoo.com> writes:

>After seeing what this thread has deteriorated to, I'm sorry I asked.

There's no need to apologize for posting a good question and then being
too lazy to appreciate the answers. Someday someone more discerning
might come along looking for similar information and find what he needs
in this thread.

I am surprised by the turn in the thread however. You see, it's long
established that *I* am the only one allowed to call non-AMPS cellular
PSTN devices "cell phones."
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=356A947C.68B0%40ea...

--kyler
!