Help with improving signal strength

junbin

Distinguished
May 13, 2003
I have a Linksys WRT54G and the signal strength 2 rooms down is horrendous. The signal gets knocked off everytime a phone in the same room as the computer rings. Would I be better off getting the Linksys WSB (signal booster) or a better antenna (say the hyperlink 8dbi antenna)?

Also, I heard that antennas cables should be as short as possible as they tend to reduce the signal strength and add noise. Is this true? Because as far as I can tell, hyperlink antenna kits all come with 6 feet cables.. should I just pay them more to modify the kits so that the cables are shorter (like, around half a foot)?

bob333

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2003
a couple of things that I can think that might be the problem is:

Change the frequency that the wireless conections are on to get rid of the phone thing.

Metal afects the wireless transmissions greatly, So do you know that there is not any metal between the two computers

updating your hardware will not hurt or signal boost

with linksys none of this should be too much of a problem

mattg1000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
I would get the booster and see if it helps. I have heard that it works in certain cases.

As long as the cable is sheilded and at a fairly high guage, you shouldn't have a big problem with signal loss. I had an antenna with a 45' cable for an outdoor application and we calculated that it lost about 1-2 dB

TRENDING THREADS