  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 12:48:43 PM

What is the trick to approaching correct runways?

If I am flying to an airport via VOR, I understand that the VOR gets me
there, but it doesn't get me to approach the correct runway in the
position I want to be to land.

I.E. Suppose I am heading to an airport via VOR at a heading of 360
degrees. I am 6 miles out and the tower reuest that I land on runway
90R. Now I realize that the runway would be on a heading of 90
degrees, and I can cheat the VOR by turing the heading card to match
the radius, which would then line me up for the right approach, but how
is it really done? Or do pilots just fly to within a certain distance
and then head into the crosswind, downwind, base traffic pattern that
is indicated within MSFS?

Just wondering, I can get to the airport, but I always want to fly
straight in to land because it ives me the best chance for an easy
landing. In the ILS lesson it's much easier because you have the VOR,
and then the ILS to bring you in, but it's always direct landings.

More about : trick approaching airport runways

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 3:34:07 PM

Other people should jump in here, but since it's a Saturday and you
probably want to fly NOW, here are some pointers:

If you have filed an IFR flight plan, you will get vectors to approach
from air traffic control (ATC).

If you're flying VFR, have a look at the Learning Center articles on
Air Traffic Control. The one that will be most immediately useful is
"Airport Traffic Patterns." If it's a towered airport, contact tower
and follow his or her directions (e.g., fly straight in, make base,
make downwind, etc.). If you haven't tried talking to a controller yet,
hit the ~ key and follow the menus when you get within 10-15 miles of
the airport. There's lots more you can do with radio comms, but that
will be enough to get you talking with the control tower and
established for landing.

If the airport is NOT towered (and most aren't), standard procedure for
VFR is to join the downwind leg at a 45 degree angle. More details and
and nice diagrams in the FAA "Airplane Flying Handbook," which you can
download free in chunks.
http://av-info.faa.gov/data/traininghandbook/faa-h-8083...

April 16, 2005 5:09:49 PM

It's really tough to learn this from a newsgroup but the tutorials on
these sites will really help:

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/
http://www.stevesflightschool.com/

<snoopy_@excite.com> wrote in message
> What is the trick to approaching correct runways?
>
> If I am flying to an airport via VOR, I understand that the VOR gets me
> there, but it doesn't get me to approach the correct runway in the
> position I want to be to land.
>
> I.E. Suppose I am heading to an airport via VOR at a heading of 360
> degrees. I am 6 miles out and the tower reuest that I land on runway
> 90R. Now I realize that the runway would be on a heading of 90
> degrees, and I can cheat the VOR by turing the heading card to match
> the radius, which would then line me up for the right approach, but how
> is it really done? Or do pilots just fly to within a certain distance
> and then head into the crosswind, downwind, base traffic pattern that
> is indicated within MSFS?
>
> Just wondering, I can get to the airport, but I always want to fly
> straight in to land because it ives me the best chance for an easy
> landing. In the ILS lesson it's much easier because you have the VOR,
> and then the ILS to bring you in, but it's always direct landings.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:35:23 AM

shorter version. tune your VOR to the same heading as teh runway you want
to land on. Intercept and fly that VOR

<snoopy_@excite.com> wrote in message
> What is the trick to approaching correct runways?
>
> If I am flying to an airport via VOR, I understand that the VOR gets me
> there, but it doesn't get me to approach the correct runway in the
> position I want to be to land.
>
> I.E. Suppose I am heading to an airport via VOR at a heading of 360
> degrees. I am 6 miles out and the tower reuest that I land on runway
> 90R. Now I realize that the runway would be on a heading of 90
> degrees, and I can cheat the VOR by turing the heading card to match
> the radius, which would then line me up for the right approach, but how
> is it really done? Or do pilots just fly to within a certain distance
> and then head into the crosswind, downwind, base traffic pattern that
> is indicated within MSFS?
>
> Just wondering, I can get to the airport, but I always want to fly
> straight in to land because it ives me the best chance for an easy
> landing. In the ILS lesson it's much easier because you have the VOR,
> and then the ILS to bring you in, but it's always direct landings.

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 10:06:06 AM

Hi just cursing through saw this and believe I am no pro but if you can
learn to fly this pattern and do it according to the specs then you can
land almost any airport without problem. Practice this over and over
till you figure it out. Then to see if you have learned anything change
airports not just runways and do it again.

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/basic-nav-general.htm

go to the bottom of this page there is a link there to down load the
picture and how to's so you can have it in a folder. Here is the link
for the beginning of the whole web site. I downloaded every page of
this and studied it. There is more information here about VOR and NDB's
than you really need to fly but it is the best place I have found.

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm

Ken

April 17, 2005 12:58:19 PM

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1113669191.22762@forums.simradar.com...
More details and
> and nice diagrams in the FAA "Airplane Flying Handbook," which you can
> download free in chunks.
> http://av-info.faa.gov/data/traininghandbook/faa-h-8083...

Here's a link to the menu for the rest of this manual:
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/airplane_handbook/
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 6:25:08 PM

Not correct if flying a procedure off a chart with an off-centreline
approach inbound on the VOR.

Usually the VOR/DME approach will lead either to close to final approach
direction, or leads to the Circuit pattern with the option for a Circling
Visual Approach when visual. The end part of a VOR/DME approach should
always be visual. You have a minimum Descent Altitude and at that point you
HAVE to be visual to continue the approach. You can however transition to
the Visual Approach from the moment you land. Depending on what kind of
VOR/DME approach also. Is it an approach generic for the entire airport, or
is it specific to a runway? If it is specific to a runway you should
transition to Visual from the moment you are either visual or number 1 for
approach (whichever is later). You will then come off the VOR track and
visually line up for the runway. A number of turns will be required because
the VOR is not on the runway centreline. If you are on a generic VOR
approach which ends in visual to both runways, you should enter the Visual
Landing Pattern, or the Circling Visual Approach. Circling Visual gets you
in quicker, but usually has a higher minimums. A Circling Visual Approach
means you come off the heading and track an arc down to the runway,
descending all the time. Like a long descending turn down to short finals,
quite a difficult manuver to master in the sim because of lack of peripheral
vision. The Circuit option would mean you would enter the circuit at circuit
altitude. If you were to enter a circuit on the other side of the active
runway (ie you have to cross over) you should cross the runway at Circuit
Altitude plus 500ft.

A Circling Approach can be thought of as joining the Circuit from Base. If
you are joining the circuit as standard it should be from Downwind at least,
or perhaps cross overhead the VOR (crossing the runway centreline) at
Circuit altitude +500. Descend to Circuit altitude on the dead side and turn
to join on Crosswind of the circuit (crossing the runway centreline again)
Turn Downwind, Base and Finals and landing.

"Jay Williams" <Voodoo141@buggeroffspammercox.net> wrote in message
> shorter version. tune your VOR to the same heading as teh runway you want
> to land on. Intercept and fly that VOR
>
> <snoopy_@excite.com> wrote in message
>> What is the trick to approaching correct runways?
>>
>> If I am flying to an airport via VOR, I understand that the VOR gets me
>> there, but it doesn't get me to approach the correct runway in the
>> position I want to be to land.
>>
>> I.E. Suppose I am heading to an airport via VOR at a heading of 360
>> degrees. I am 6 miles out and the tower reuest that I land on runway
>> 90R. Now I realize that the runway would be on a heading of 90
>> degrees, and I can cheat the VOR by turing the heading card to match
>> the radius, which would then line me up for the right approach, but how
>> is it really done? Or do pilots just fly to within a certain distance
>> and then head into the crosswind, downwind, base traffic pattern that
>> is indicated within MSFS?
>>
>> Just wondering, I can get to the airport, but I always want to fly
>> straight in to land because it ives me the best chance for an easy
>> landing. In the ILS lesson it's much easier because you have the VOR,
>> and then the ILS to bring you in, but it's always direct landings.

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 3:36:35 AM

Hi Snoop;

You didn't say if you are VFR or on an IFR flight plan when you're
approaching this airport. Which are you?
Dudley

<snoopy_@excite.com> wrote in message
> What is the trick to approaching correct runways?
>
> If I am flying to an airport via VOR, I understand that the VOR gets me
> there, but it doesn't get me to approach the correct runway in the
> position I want to be to land.
>
> I.E. Suppose I am heading to an airport via VOR at a heading of 360
> degrees. I am 6 miles out and the tower reuest that I land on runway
> 90R. Now I realize that the runway would be on a heading of 90
> degrees, and I can cheat the VOR by turing the heading card to match
> the radius, which would then line me up for the right approach, but how
> is it really done? Or do pilots just fly to within a certain distance
> and then head into the crosswind, downwind, base traffic pattern that
> is indicated within MSFS?
>
> Just wondering, I can get to the airport, but I always want to fly
> straight in to land because it ives me the best chance for an easy
> landing. In the ILS lesson it's much easier because you have the VOR,
> and then the ILS to bring you in, but it's always direct landings.

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 9:04:44 PM

Dudley,
I was VOR. I was playing with the OBS dial an dialing in the same
radial I figured the runway would be, but I thought that was cheating
or maybe more correctly the wrong application to using VOR.

I flew a couple of the IFR flights and that is much simpler, the ATC
usually lines you straight up, but most times the ATC takes you way out
of your way, at least it feels tht way. I guess they vector you around
other aircrafts, etc....

Now I need to study the ways to join a traffic pattern, there seems
to be so many.

I was using MSFS to try to figure out if I should take lessons or
not. I find it difficult to figure out what I'd do witht he license if
I got one. I like the simulator, and the navigation, but I don't know
how practical having a license would be; would I use it? $5,000 -
$6,000 for the private, then another $7,000 - $8,000 for Intrument.
And where do I have to go?
April 23, 2005 5:24:50 AM

snoopy_@excite.com wrote:

> Dudley,
>

> Now I need to study the ways to join a traffic pattern, there seems
> to be so many.
>
> I was using MSFS to try to figure out if I should take lessons or
> not. I find it difficult to figure out what I'd do witht he license if
> I got one. I like the simulator, and the navigation, but I don't know
> how practical having a license would be; would I use it? $5,000 -
> $6,000 for the private, then another $7,000 - $8,000 for Intrument.
> And where do I have to go?

Hello Snoop. Pardon me but here are some alternatives to the high cost
of the Private Pilot License. To me, it's a whole lot more fun and you
may like it also. Just reading your posts I believe you could benefit
from the following URL's. And later on if you do want a PPL, it will be
so much easier.

http://www.sportpilot.org/brochures/

http://www.sportpilot.org/

http://www.usua.org/SportPilot/

http://afs600.faa.gov/documents/PDF/LSA-CertModels.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/sportpilot/index.cfm

--

boB, SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
April 23, 2005 7:04:38 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:24:50 GMT, boB <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom>
wrote:

>snoopy_@excite.com wrote:
>
>> Dudley,
>>

>> Now I need to study the ways to join a traffic pattern, there seems
>> to be so many.
>>
>> I was using MSFS to try to figure out if I should take lessons or
>> not. I find it difficult to figure out what I'd do witht he license if
>> I got one. I like the simulator, and the navigation, but I don't know
>> how practical having a license would be; would I use it? $5,000 -
>> $6,000 for the private, then another $7,000 - $8,000 for Intrument.
>> And where do I have to go?

If you can afford it, and really like to play then go for the private,
instrument, and commercial.

Where you have to go is up to you. Do you like to travel? Can you
afford to travel? Vacations? Visit friends and family over
distances. My daughter lives in Colorado and my son and his family is
in Georgia. My wife's folks lived in Florida until her mother passed
away. We live in Central Michigan (where on the 23 of May we are
looking at the possibility of a blizzard this week end). There for a
while I was putting on over 130 hours a year and over half was on long
cross countries

OTOH if you really don't have any place to go and just want to play
around your home airport, *then* consider the sport pilot license.

The sport pilot license is a great addition, if it is not too limiting
for what you want to do.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com