When do I replace cartidges?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 27, 2004 12:12:42 PM

Hi,

My printer has just started flashing "Black Cartidge Ink Level Low" -
should I replace it now or wait until it's empty? (this is my
non-ribbon first printer).

nb it's a Canon MP360 (multifunction)

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

More about : replace cartidges

Anonymous
November 27, 2004 12:12:43 PM

In article <m1hgq0he98hnrpqb4p9jk2q7quuodo8k4b@4ax.com>, jorolat@msn.com
says...
> Hi,
>
> My printer has just started flashing "Black Cartidge Ink Level Low" -
> should I replace it now or wait until it's empty? (this is my
> non-ribbon first printer).
>
> nb it's a Canon MP360 (multifunction)

Are the heads part of the cartridge, or separate? If separate, do NOT
let it run completely dry, as that can damage the heads. If it's built
in, and you do not plan on refilling, then it's just an inconvenience if
it runs out in the middle of a big print job.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 12:14:17 PM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 09:12:42 +0000, John Latter <jorolat@msn.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My printer has just started flashing "Black Cartidge Ink Level Low" -
>should I replace it now or wait until it's empty? (this is my
>non-ribbon first printer).
>
>nb it's a Canon MP360 (multifunction)

Dunno why but suddenly I can't spell 'cartridge' anymore - probably
dementia setting in.

'sigh'

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
November 27, 2004 12:40:45 PM

It will do no harm to continue using the old cartridge either until
the printer tells you it is empty and refuses to print (as some do) or
problems with black printing become obvious. The worst thing that can
happen is the cartridge running out completely during a print job,
which you will then have to repeat after putting in a new cartridge.
The printer will not be harmed by a cartridge running dry.

wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My printer has just started flashing "Black Cartidge Ink Level Low" -
>should I replace it now or wait until it's empty? (this is my
>non-ribbon first printer).
>
>nb it's a Canon MP360 (multifunction)

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 3:22:03 PM

Thankyou Peter - just what I needed to know! :)

John
November 27, 2004 4:05:52 PM

"Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article <m1hgq0he98hnrpqb4p9jk2q7quuodo8k4b@4ax.com>, jorolat@msn.com
> says...
> > Hi,
> >
> > My printer has just started flashing "Black Cartidge Ink Level Low" -
> > should I replace it now or wait until it's empty? (this is my
> > non-ribbon first printer).
> >
> > nb it's a Canon MP360 (multifunction)
>
> Are the heads part of the cartridge, or separate? If separate, do NOT
> let it run completely dry, as that can damage the heads. If it's built
> in, and you do not plan on refilling, then it's just an inconvenience if
> it runs out in the middle of a big print job.

I agree. I also have the MP360 and let me tell you, you should NOT let the
carts run dry. This will create air pockets in the pads on both the print
head and the cart reservoir. I had a dickens of a time getting the head to
print again. Also, make sure you do the refill quickly or be prepared to
have the head clogged. Make sure the a cartridge guard/cap is on so the
sponge pads will not dry. To keep the head pads from drying, squirt some
head cleaning solution into the cart holder, enough so that it covers the
three color pads in the one well and the black pad in the other. I let the
head sit in a small sauce jar while I'm refilling the carts. The refill
holes must be covered after filling, but there should also be a small
breather hole at the top of the cart. It seems as though air pressure plays
a big roll in how the carts supply ink to the pads.

Ron
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 11:22:43 AM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:05:52 -0500, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote:

>"Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> In article <m1hgq0he98hnrpqb4p9jk2q7quuodo8k4b@4ax.com>, jorolat@msn.com
>> says...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > My printer has just started flashing "Black Cartidge Ink Level Low" -
>> > should I replace it now or wait until it's empty? (this is my
>> > non-ribbon first printer).
>> >
>> > nb it's a Canon MP360 (multifunction)
>>
>> Are the heads part of the cartridge, or separate? If separate, do NOT
>> let it run completely dry, as that can damage the heads. If it's built
>> in, and you do not plan on refilling, then it's just an inconvenience if
>> it runs out in the middle of a big print job.
>>
>I agree. I also have the MP360 and let me tell you, you should NOT let the
>carts run dry. This will create air pockets in the pads on both the print
>head and the cart reservoir. I had a dickens of a time getting the head to
>print again. Also, make sure you do the refill quickly or be prepared to
>have the head clogged. Make sure the a cartridge guard/cap is on so the
>sponge pads will not dry. To keep the head pads from drying, squirt some
>head cleaning solution into the cart holder, enough so that it covers the
>three color pads in the one well and the black pad in the other. I let the
>head sit in a small sauce jar while I'm refilling the carts. The refill
>holes must be covered after filling, but there should also be a small
>breather hole at the top of the cart. It seems as though air pressure plays
>a big roll in how the carts supply ink to the pads.
>
>Ron

Thankyou Ron!

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
November 29, 2004 11:17:26 AM

On 27 Nov 2004 12:22:03 GMT, jorolat@aol.com (John Latter) wrote as
underneath my scribble :

FWIW - We measure the weight of all new carts and then subtract 1gm
per ml ink to give you the rough empty tank weight - thus by weight
you can get close to the real situation! you need access to a
reasonably accurate balance if you want to get close to empty, for
refilling etc.
Charlie+

>Thankyou Peter - just what I needed to know! :)
>
>John
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 10:49:09 AM

Hey John!

What does your Printer Manual tell you to do?

!