When do I replace cartidges?

Hi,

My printer has just started flashing "Black Cartidge Ink Level Low" -
should I replace it now or wait until it's empty? (this is my
non-ribbon first printer).

nb it's a Canon MP360 (multifunction)

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
More about when replace cartidges

    In article <m1hgq0he98hnrpqb4p9jk2q7quuodo8k4b@4ax.com>, jorolat@msn.com
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > My printer has just started flashing "Black Cartidge Ink Level Low" -
    > should I replace it now or wait until it's empty? (this is my
    > non-ribbon first printer).
    >
    > nb it's a Canon MP360 (multifunction)

    Are the heads part of the cartridge, or separate? If separate, do NOT
    let it run completely dry, as that can damage the heads. If it's built
    in, and you do not plan on refilling, then it's just an inconvenience if
    it runs out in the middle of a big print job.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 09:12:42 +0000, John Latter <jorolat@msn.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >My printer has just started flashing "Black Cartidge Ink Level Low" -
    >should I replace it now or wait until it's empty? (this is my
    >non-ribbon first printer).
    >
    >nb it's a Canon MP360 (multifunction)

    Dunno why but suddenly I can't spell 'cartridge' anymore - probably
    dementia setting in.

    'sigh'

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

    It will do no harm to continue using the old cartridge either until
    the printer tells you it is empty and refuses to print (as some do) or
    problems with black printing become obvious. The worst thing that can
    happen is the cartridge running out completely during a print job,
    which you will then have to repeat after putting in a new cartridge.
    The printer will not be harmed by a cartridge running dry.

    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >My printer has just started flashing "Black Cartidge Ink Level Low" -
    >should I replace it now or wait until it's empty? (this is my
    >non-ribbon first printer).
    >
    >nb it's a Canon MP360 (multifunction)

    Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
    Peter R. Fletcher

    Thankyou Peter - just what I needed to know! :)

    John

    "Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > In article <m1hgq0he98hnrpqb4p9jk2q7quuodo8k4b@4ax.com>, jorolat@msn.com
    > says...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > My printer has just started flashing "Black Cartidge Ink Level Low" -
    > > should I replace it now or wait until it's empty? (this is my
    > > non-ribbon first printer).
    > >
    > > nb it's a Canon MP360 (multifunction)
    >
    > Are the heads part of the cartridge, or separate? If separate, do NOT
    > let it run completely dry, as that can damage the heads. If it's built
    > in, and you do not plan on refilling, then it's just an inconvenience if
    > it runs out in the middle of a big print job.

    I agree. I also have the MP360 and let me tell you, you should NOT let the
    carts run dry. This will create air pockets in the pads on both the print
    head and the cart reservoir. I had a dickens of a time getting the head to
    print again. Also, make sure you do the refill quickly or be prepared to
    have the head clogged. Make sure the a cartridge guard/cap is on so the
    sponge pads will not dry. To keep the head pads from drying, squirt some
    head cleaning solution into the cart holder, enough so that it covers the
    three color pads in the one well and the black pad in the other. I let the
    head sit in a small sauce jar while I'm refilling the carts. The refill
    holes must be covered after filling, but there should also be a small
    breather hole at the top of the cart. It seems as though air pressure plays
    a big roll in how the carts supply ink to the pads.

    Ron

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:05:52 -0500, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote:

    >"Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> In article <m1hgq0he98hnrpqb4p9jk2q7quuodo8k4b@4ax.com>, jorolat@msn.com
    >> says...
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > My printer has just started flashing "Black Cartidge Ink Level Low" -
    >> > should I replace it now or wait until it's empty? (this is my
    >> > non-ribbon first printer).
    >> >
    >> > nb it's a Canon MP360 (multifunction)
    >>
    >> Are the heads part of the cartridge, or separate? If separate, do NOT
    >> let it run completely dry, as that can damage the heads. If it's built
    >> in, and you do not plan on refilling, then it's just an inconvenience if
    >> it runs out in the middle of a big print job.
    >>
    >I agree. I also have the MP360 and let me tell you, you should NOT let the
    >carts run dry. This will create air pockets in the pads on both the print
    >head and the cart reservoir. I had a dickens of a time getting the head to
    >print again. Also, make sure you do the refill quickly or be prepared to
    >have the head clogged. Make sure the a cartridge guard/cap is on so the
    >sponge pads will not dry. To keep the head pads from drying, squirt some
    >head cleaning solution into the cart holder, enough so that it covers the
    >three color pads in the one well and the black pad in the other. I let the
    >head sit in a small sauce jar while I'm refilling the carts. The refill
    >holes must be covered after filling, but there should also be a small
    >breather hole at the top of the cart. It seems as though air pressure plays
    >a big roll in how the carts supply ink to the pads.
    >
    >Ron

    Thankyou Ron!

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

    On 27 Nov 2004 12:22:03 GMT, jorolat@aol.com (John Latter) wrote as
    underneath my scribble :

    FWIW - We measure the weight of all new carts and then subtract 1gm
    per ml ink to give you the rough empty tank weight - thus by weight
    you can get close to the real situation! you need access to a
    reasonably accurate balance if you want to get close to empty, for
    refilling etc.
    Charlie+

    >Thankyou Peter - just what I needed to know! :)
    >
    >John

    Hey John!

    What does your Printer Manual tell you to do?

    "John Latter" <jorolat@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My printer has just started flashing "Black Cartidge Ink Level Low" -
    > should I replace it now or wait until it's empty? (this is my
    > non-ribbon first printer).
    >
    > nb it's a Canon MP360 (multifunction)
    >
    > --
    >
    > John Latter
    >
    > Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    > homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    > http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >
    > 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech

Printers Canon Extension Peripherals