Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Window 7 slow to boot, minimizing and maximizing windows in slow motio

Last response: in Windows 7
March 24, 2011 2:56:50 PM

Hello,
My son has a Dell Vostro 200MT. Windows 7 32 bit, upgraded from Vista. He has a e7200 CPU, onboard graphics, 4GB Ram.

He has been doing some intense computing and said he has been maxing out his CPU's at 100% for weeks. For starters, the system for several months has not shut-down, only reset when asked to shutdown. He has been using sleep mode. Over the past several days, when starting up it goes to the BSOD. This could be from him powering down PC since it won't shutdown. Now, system takes over 5 minutes to boot up. When logged in, the windows maximize and minimize in slow motion. You can see them slowly open/close and move across the screen and are translucent. We did a fresh install of windows 7 and have same thing. He thinks that the CPU may be destroyed. Any suggestions.

Thanks
March 24, 2011 10:24:32 PM

brainman22 said:
Hello,
My son has a Dell Vostro 200MT. Windows 7 32 bit, upgraded from Vista. He has a e7200 CPU, onboard graphics, 4GB Ram.

He has been doing some intense computing and said he has been maxing out his CPU's at 100% for weeks. For starters, the system for several months has not shut-down, only reset when asked to shutdown. He has been using sleep mode. Over the past several days, when starting up it goes to the BSOD. This could be from him powering down PC since it won't shutdown. Now, system takes over 5 minutes to boot up. When logged in, the windows maximize and minimize in slow motion. You can see them slowly open/close and move across the screen and are translucent. We did a fresh install of windows 7 and have same thing. He thinks that the CPU may be destroyed. Any suggestions.

Thanks

I had a similar problem with slow boot up and apps starting very slowly. I found that I had many bad sectors on my harddrive when I ran HP diagnostic tools. Running chkdsk seems to have fixed the problem.
Dave
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2011 1:47:18 AM

By clean install you mean you RE-formatted the hard drive. And then install Win7 32 from scratch off the DVD.. RIGHT?

First issue, I would have loaded Win 7 64 bit, since w/32 bit version you can use all of your RAM only about 3.25Gb...but no matter.

I would download & install CPU-Z. Then check the Memory tab, be sure the Channels # says DUAL. Then the DRAM frequency, should be 533 Mhz. And, Size will read 3250 MBytes or there abouts....

On CPU tab check that Core Speed is 2530 Mhz (note, run a video or another program or two to get the CPU busy to test (else CPU may run in a slower power saving mode...))

If CPU & RAM look good then hard disk :
- IF you did a re-format, shouldn't need to de-fragment...
- IF you did a fresh install, likely your are Less than 50% full....

You can pick up a new WD Blue 500Gb 7200 RPM drive for about $40 if your believe this may be the problem. Even if it's not you can use it for extra storage ....
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2011 11:43:24 AM

Thanks for the response.

No, we didn't re-format, only put disc in and choose custom and loaded that way.
Last night my son mentioned that the LED on MB was amber and he heard a popping sound. Also, the fans will run for a while, then stop. The system won't even boot up now. We think the CPU & MB are bad. Looks like we can't follow your troubleshooting.

Thanks again.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2011 12:19:33 PM

Ok, 1st if the computer's under warranty or close to it give Dell a call for repairs.....

If not in warranty do you want to try to fix it yourself?

I believe Dell & many computer shops charge $90 to diagnose the problem. Then cost of part & labor to install....

As an alternative you can buy & install a new power supply (sparks, pops, can't turn off & fans don't run point to power supply) The Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway (all the off the shelf computers) put SMALL in-expensive power supplies in their systems. They work hard and unusually don't last too long....

I'd go for Antec or Corsair for a replacement ~400watts if you don't intend to upgrade the video to play games in the near term.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OR, 600--650watts if you do intend to add a GPU card....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

NOW, even when fixed the computer won't be too speedy. If it's more than a few years old, you might want to consider flat out replacing it, $300--$500. OR, you could replace the broken parts and do the upgrade yourself about $300 depending on what can be salvaged from the existing Dell. Be glad to provide some guidance either way....

m
l
March 25, 2011 1:54:34 PM

Is there any way I can test the power supply? Would that cause slow bootup, windows opening in slow motion, yellow LED on MB, and BSOD though? If it was only a power supply, it would be worth it to fix.

Thanks for all of the help. PC is almost 3 years old and out of warranty. Our feeling is that it would not pay to fix. We can take out DVD drive for 2nd drive on new PC and maybe HD for external. Will probably not buy a Dell again even thought we have 3 of them. I think my son just overworked it and maxed it out. He's wanting a new one from IBUYPOWER.COM. They seem to be rated well.

Thanks for all of the help
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 25, 2011 3:57:45 PM

There are power supply testers, but, they only check voltages without load not such a good test (Example: your car battery reads close 12 volts, always even a dead one that can't start your car since it doesn't work under load). You can always "try" the power supply and simply return it if is does Not solve the problem...

The slow bootup could be caused due to improper shut downs, indirectly caused by the power supply. Same thing with windows in slow motion, could be CPU is still busy working away trying to recover files & the system. BSOD, certainly a power supply that isn't supplying all the power need can cause crashes under load at anytime.

On Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway.... they are designed for "light desktop computing".... The Dell XPS are more suited to heavier use & games. IBuyPower or Cyberpower are good alternatives for Heavier use....

March 31, 2011 1:15:38 PM

Best answer selected by brainman22.
m
l
!