Sign in with
Your question

System hangs at "Starting Windows" among other places

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
March 24, 2011 4:50:51 PM

Hello,

There were a couple of somewhat similar threads when I searched, but they were all both old and mostly for fresh installs or upgrades. My computer has been running 7 for a year now so I am not hanging on installation but on boot.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit I think it is Professional.

Upon boot, the computer proceeds to the startup splash with the windows logo in it's glorious pulsing colors and stays there. I have had a hang on this screen before that was fixed using a system restore, but that previous time, the splash screen actually froze. This time, no matter how long I sit it there, the colors continue to pulse.

I have attempted to repair (after entering the boot menu using f8) as well as running in safe mode and even booting the last known good configuration. the repair will go through the loading screen, then the second load with the side scrolling green bars and then load into a black screen with a mouse cursor that does not respond to commands. Safe mode gets stuck at /classpnp.sys and does not continue. Last known good configuration borks the same way that loading normally does.

I actually restarted my computer because chrome crashed and the computer hung on attempting to start the task manager. I had no other symptoms other than this crash.

My CPU temp in the BIOS is shown as 47 C.

My build is a home-build consisting of:

MSI K9A2 CF
HD Radeon 4850
Phenom X3 (not Phenom II X3)
2x2 gig ddr2 sdram mushkin
Corsair TX 750w
samsung HDD (OS installed)
A WD HDD

Any help would be excellent.

Thank you
March 24, 2011 5:11:32 PM

As an update, while I was writing the above post, reading other posts, and trying to find other places for help, the computer started.

I estimate that it sat for a good 15-20 minutes in the splash screen before progressing to actually starting windows. I am currently backing up everything on the driver containing the OS in case the drive is failing.

What could be causing this?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 24, 2011 7:13:42 PM

I would start by running a chkdsk to check the drive for errors. When you get to the desktop, go to start-->in the box type chkdsk /r and press enter. This will schedule a chkdsk for the next time you restart, and will try to fix any errors it finds on the drive. It can take a while, so be patient.
m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2011 9:59:15 PM

Well delayed response due to having to go out of town.

I ran the chkdsk and you weren't kidding when you warned about it taking a while. I ended up coming back and finding the computer had fully started up (last I saw was the chkdsk at 53% complete) with no sort of warning or anything. Does this mean that nothing was wrong in that check?

I also just experienced the computer hanging in normal operation. I was playing a game when I noticed that the audio seemed to be looping. One of the sound effects seemed to have gotten stuck "on" though every other sound was normal. I entered the game menu to attempt and solve the issue and the game froze with the sound file looping constantly quite loudly. Mouse still worked though I couldn't get the computer to do anything. After turning it off, letting it sit, and turning it back on I am now once again stuck at the windows splash screen. I am just going to let it sit here and see if it decides to work like last time.

I believe this means I am having some sort of hardware malfunction, but am not experienced enough to know what (though the POST sequence was the same as it had always been).
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 29, 2011 11:22:06 PM

Tap F8 repeatedly on startup. Try booting into safe mode with command prompt. At the command line, type rstrui.exe and press enter. This will access your system restore points, and allow you to roll back to before the issue started.
m
l
!