Wait a minute... the FX-60...

vishusmartishus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure someone has brought this up before, but I just wanna get this clear.

The X2 4800+ runs at 2.4 GHz, right?
The FX-60 is based on the same architecture, runs at 2.6 GHz, and is about $300 more expensive, right?

Does this truly reveal the benefit of overclocking? By overclocking the X2 4800+ a measly 200 mhz, you can achieve basically the same processor as a stock-setting FX-60?

Surprised me...
I suppose with good cooling you could OC the 4400+ another 400 mhz to the FX-60 stock settings, too...

vishusmartishus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I think I read somewhere that the FX-60 is the same architecture as the X2 series, but AMD just put it in the FX line because it represents their best processor at the moment. Good thing most users know nothing about OCing, else the FX-60 would be a failure... True for every processor i guess.. Maybe the difference is in the fact that you could OC an FX-60 higher than you could OC a 4800+? Meh, I think I'm thinking too much about this.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I think the FX60 is based on the FX55 CPU. Yes you can overclock a 4800+ to 2.6 and basically have an FX60.
Not quite.
I think I read somewhere that the FX-60 is the same architecture as the X2 series, but AMD just put it in the FX line because it represents their best processor at the moment. Good thing most users know nothing about OCing, else the FX-60 would be a failure... True for every processor i guess.. Maybe the difference is in the fact that you could OC an FX-60 higher than you could OC a 4800+? Meh, I think I'm thinking too much about this.
They actually overclock about the same, although the FX-60 has unlocked multipliers.

RichPLS

Champion
The FX-60 is the same design, core and cache of the Opteron 180, but with 200 more MHz and an unlocked multiplier.
That is where the differences end.
If you overclock your Opty to 2.6GHz, you have a stock FX-60

gtr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I recall reading somewhere that the FX and opty chips has 128bit memory controllers vs 64bit on standrad X2 and athlon 64. I can someone shine some light into this?

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
FX-60 is just a X2 44/4800+ with higher multiplier, thats it.
A vanilla X2 4400+ has about the same max clock as the FX-60 and would even perform better due to higher memory clock, so the FX - like usual - doesnt justify the really premium price like Extreme Editions do.

borandi

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
FX-60 has an unlocked multiplier vs the X2 series.

my X2 4400 Oc'ed to beyond the X2 4800+ pretty easily. Now running at 2x2.475Ghz and all I've got on it is a massive heatsink/fan :D Saved me some $$$$ too.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
at least Intel provides better value from it's Extreme Editions than AMD's ripoff on the FX :x

I should slap you for saying that.

gtr: All AMD64 systems have a 128-bit Memory Controller, which allows for 2 64-bit channels for Memory (Dual Channel). This includes AMD64 s754, s939, Opties, FX's, X2's, standard A64's, and next-gen AM2's. In my opinion, the reason AMD is charging alot for the FX's is because they know the people who buy their lower-end A64's (not saying ANY A64 is low-end, sure as hell pwns any Intel CPU) are Gamers/People who know enough about computers to get the best, so they charge more for the FX's so they can make a few bucks w/o being too far behind Intel. IMHO, anybody who knows anything about computers, right now, would not buy an Intel CPU.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Not true Modmike. If I had a business and I wanted a cheap dual core I'd go with Intel 820, because 1) its cheaper than all the other CPU's. 2) I am not going to do anything extreme with it. 3) Heat issues wont matter for what a business would do, excepting server apps, or programs that really push a CPU.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Uhm...What does a business need with a Dual-Core CPU if it's being used for Word Processing and the like? Maybe you need 17,000 Microsot Word's open at once, idk. And if it's not going to be used for that, and for something larger, than the business wouldn't buy a crappy 820, so that defense is out the window. And they especially wouldn't buy an 820 for a Server, as Balki Bartokamous says, "Don't be reedeeculose!".

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Opteron 200 series just has more L1 (if any) cache?

No, all AMD64's from the s754 2800+ to the latest FX-60 all have 128KB L1 Cache (64KB Instruction, 64KB Data). Though I did read that in 2007ish timeframe, when AMD is set to release their new architecture to succeed the AMD64, they plan to put 128KB + 128KB for 256KB L1 Cache, not sure if it is true, but I read it awhile back. Something to ponder about I'd say.

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I'd say save the $300 and o/c... besides overclocking the FSB improves overall system performance by increasing bandwidth... that is if you have fast ram. Systems nowadays typically don't run into the problems of FSB overclocking(PCI, IDE channels screwing up etc... etc...) since most boards have async fsbs..

cedric

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Thats why the word overclocking was invented , to save som $$$.OCing is like extreme sports just pass som time to kick a$$.

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I'd say save the $300 and o/c... besides overclocking the FSB improves overall system performance by increasing bandwidth... that is if you have fast ram. Systems nowadays typically don't run into the problems of FSB overclocking(PCI, IDE channels screwing up etc... etc...) since most boards have async fsbs..

this is the reason I think I'd rather buy a cheaper AMD... I thought it was kind of a ripoff to make the FX 60 with so little difference. All a EE P4 is is an overclocked processor, faster FSB, and more cache, and maybe a few other specs, so not much there either... just get a 640 instead of 540, and you got the cache, then overclock it, have a higher clock as well as a faster FSB, so you really pwn the EE. :)

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

this is the reason I think I'd rather buy a cheaper AMD... I thought it was kind of a ripoff to make the FX 60 with so little difference. All a EE P4 is is an overclocked processor, faster FSB, and more cache, and maybe a few other specs, so not much there either... just get a 640 instead of 540, and you got the cache, then overclock it, have a higher clock as well as a faster FSB, so you really pwn the EE. :)

Anything pwns the EE. Even a s754 2800+ Underclocked to 200MHz.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Intel's overclocked... are a different story though ;)

No they're not. You don't want to debate me on performance of AMD vs. Intel like you're doing in the "AMD IS JUST BAD!!" thread, I've used almost all Intel and AMD processors there is to use (dating back to 486 time) and your "Intel" CPU's are not better than AMD, they were at one time with the P3 vs. Athlon, but those days are long gone.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Anything pwns the EE.
I find this comment funny considering how you lectured me on making categorical statements.

I can understand hyperbole but
Even a s754 2800+ Underclocked to 200MHz.
that type of exaggeration borders on irrelevance. I know there are many cases where the EEs performance is less than spectacular, but I doubt that is a case.

All AMD64 systems have a 128-bit Memory Controller, which allows for 2 64-bit channels for Memory (Dual Channel). This includes AMD64 s754, s939, Opties, FX's, X2's, standard A64's, and next-gen AM2's.
This statement is generally correct. However, S754 chips only have 64-bit memory controllers for single channel operation.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487^10248,00.html

Hmm, the link doesn't work properly because of "^" splits it, but its there.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Anything pwns the EE.
I find this comment funny considering how you lectured me on making categorical statements.

I can understand hyperbole but
Even a s754 2800+ Underclocked to 200MHz.
that type of exaggeration borders on irrelevance.

All AMD64 systems have a 128-bit Memory Controller, which allows for 2 64-bit channels for Memory (Dual Channel). This includes AMD64 s754, s939, Opties, FX's, X2's, standard A64's, and next-gen AM2's.
This statement is generally correct. However, S754 chips only have 64-bit memory controllers for single channel operation.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487^10248,00.html

God why can't you fly off a cliff and get off these forumz...sheesh.. Your type of unintelligence borders on "please get off these forumz because you're irritating me"-ance. But yes, you are correct with the s754's mem controller, sad though that you had to go to AMD.com to learn that...hmm...Character Character Character...

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I knew that you were wrong as soon as I read your statement. However, I included the link in accordance with your suggestion about solid supporting evidence. It's funny that when I follow your suggestion, you suddenly aren't satisfied. Perhaps, I'm not the only one with a character flaw.

You know, this grudge that your holding from me correcting your statements about the nature of HyperTransport architecture is tiresome. Not everyone here needs to agree with your point-of-view or stroke your ego.

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
MadModMike, I find that disgusting... you start insulting him when he's only pointing out some facts :roll: and you haven't even been here as long as I have :eek:

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
MadModMike, I find that disgusting... you start insulting him when he's only pointing out some facts :roll: and you haven't even been here as long as I have :eek:

You've been here longer, and that means....???

ltdata: It's not a grudge about the nature of something you've never even had anything to do with, it's your cockyness and arrogant nature of your posts that piss me off, I couldn't care less if you had created HTT or anything for that matter, I still say you need to fly off a cliff, take your Intel Fanboy WINDSHEAR wth you please.

TRENDING THREADS