Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Google Lets Businesses Rent Chromebooks for $30 a Month

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
September 7, 2012 2:24:25 PM

Quote:
Since Chromebook and Chromebox prices range from $330 to $600, the rental program is a great way for companies to temporarily rent a high volume of systems for a relatively low price.

Hmm...I can lease a $1,100 Dell for $28/month; example Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook - http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/xps-14-l421x/fs

Yeah, for sure what a deal?!
Score
September 7, 2012 2:26:12 PM

$30 a month to rent a device with a worth of just barely over $200? And what good is a limited warranty on a rental? This is simply not an attractive proposition for customers.
Score
September 7, 2012 2:58:29 PM

Our company leases Win7 laptops for less than $25/mo...
Score
September 7, 2012 3:18:51 PM

jaquithHmm...I can lease a $1,100 Dell for $28/month; example Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook - http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/xps-14-l421x/fsYeah, for sure what a deal?!

I doubt that Dell offers lease terms shorter than a year (though I can't be bothered to confirm that). With this deal, you can return the laptops whenever you don't need them anymore.
Score
September 7, 2012 3:57:39 PM

wow expensive
Score
September 7, 2012 3:58:03 PM

better hope thats rent to own
Score
September 7, 2012 4:04:11 PM

good deal for temp needs.
Score
September 7, 2012 4:16:14 PM

Seems interesting for month-to-month rentals. Obviously this isn't intended to replace your companies fleet of machines for permanent employees.

Offer a LTE equipped model for $50 a month with 2GB of data and it'd be even more interesting. I wonder if we'll see this expanded to $15 a month Nexus 7 rentals for survey takers, etc.
Score
September 7, 2012 4:46:19 PM

As someone who works in computer parts/consumer electronics E-commerce, also being a tech nerd, and having studied Small Business Mgmt. in grad school, I feel compelled to note that it's more cost-effective and strategic to buy 3-4 year old notebooks (e.g. Dell Latitude D830, E6410, etc.) at a fraction of full new retail price or amortized rental cost. For most computing tasks, these older notebooks have enough horsepower to get the job done and can be easily data wiped/restored and the hardware swapped/upgraded. When you rent technology, you have to deal with the issue of Information Security, data wiping, etc. which is a problem with a rented notebook since you don't have complete control of the hardware and software. From a business start-up perspective, cutting initial overhead costs such as buying a much cheaper off-lease business notebooks helps free up cash flow and reduce liabilities in the books (assuming of course you don't need an expensive and ridiculously high-powered notebook for your new business).

And regarding Google's "Chromebook"....Worst. Concept. Ever. No wonder it never took off in the industry.
Score
September 7, 2012 7:11:23 PM

you can also build a PC for $350 and use it for 5+ years, the ROI is not worth the trouble.
Score
September 7, 2012 7:27:29 PM

The fact that you can rent it for just one month is why this is a decent deal. Going for more than 6 months and you might as well just lease a laptop.
Score
September 7, 2012 9:29:51 PM

gm0n3yThe fact that you can rent it for just one month is why this is a decent deal. Going for more than 6 months and you might as well just lease a laptop.

Agreed. If you did lease it the whole 36 months you'd end up spending $900. Definitely not worth it, you're better off purchasing it outright if you're planning on keeping it for a good amount of time.
Score
September 7, 2012 10:27:07 PM

I can buy a basic laptop for $240. It's mine. Forever. I can use it anyway I want. I can trash it if I want to and not worry about a rental agreement. As a small business, I can use it for a year and then sell it to my employee (if I have any) for $100 to recoup some cost.

Why rent for $30 a month if I can buy for $240 for...ever?
Score
September 7, 2012 11:28:01 PM

aponenote that it's more cost-effective and strategic to buy 3-4 year old notebooks (e.g. Dell Latitude D830, E6410, etc.) at a fraction of full new retail price or amortized rental cost. For most computing tasks, these older notebooks have enough horsepower to get the job done and can be easily data wiped/restored and the hardware swapped/upgraded.

Except for the fact that laptops typically only work well for 3-4 years, then yeah, it's a great plan. Spending $400 on a used $1200 laptop doesn't make alot of sense when you constantly need to have warranty work done on it to keep it running, or if it's so slow that your employees are less productive. Used computer hardware is pretty much always vastly overpriced, and only appeals to short-sighted tightwads who don't see the full life-cycle cost of the products they're using.

Now scratch and dent new models that carry a full warranty... I can maybe understand (as long as the price is right, which oftentimes is worse than whatever promo the OEM is running at any given time).
Score
September 8, 2012 12:56:01 AM

@ c4v3man

Quote:
Except for the fact that laptops typically only work well for 3-4 years, then yeah, it's a great plan. Spending $400 on a used $1200 laptop doesn't make alot of sense when you constantly need to have warranty work done on it to keep it running, or if it's so slow that your employees are less productive.

Not sure if you know this but business class notebooks such as the Dell's Latitude line, Lenovo's ThinkPad line, HP Compaq Workstations, etc. are specifically designed to last a long time since in business, time is money. They also have ridiculous flexibility when it comes to upgrading and can have parts be easily swapped out for an upgrade or repair which provides practical modularity.

Even now in 2012, a 5-year old Dell Latitude D830 with a 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU is plenty fast enough for most business tasks and can easily accommodate a small business home or home office. (You can give it a cheap SSD, Win 7, and a nano receiver usb flash drive for Readyboost if you're feeling adventurous with upgrades))

Quote:
Used computer hardware is pretty much always vastly overpriced, and only appeals to short-sighted tightwads who don't see the full life-cycle cost of the products they're using.

Not sure where you got that from but case in point, a corporate business-grade used Lenovo Thinkpad W510 (circa 2010) can be easily found online for $400-$500 which is a more than reasonable cost considering the hardware under the hood. And remember, I'm talking about small business; In other words, we're nickel & diming about reducing INITIAL overhead costs. If/when the new business takes off considerably, then sure maybe switching to a full-life cycle cost perspective and opting for a scratch & dent with full warranty notebook is a good idea.
Score
September 8, 2012 6:47:50 AM

In other news, councils are to rent park benches to investment bankers.
Score
!