Over Clocking Question (Sempron 3400+)

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Well i bumped the CPU up to 2400mhz from 2000mhz
to keep it stable i also bumped up the Vcore + 0.1 volt
i tried +0.05 but windoze kept locking up on me

system specs are as follows (for anyone that really wants to know)

Sempron 3400+ Palermo Core (stock cooling)
Biostar Geforce 6100-M7 motherboard
512 MB PC2100 memory (64 MB being used by onboard Video)
HIPRO HP-E4009F5WR ATX 400W Power Supply
HD and Cd ROM types not important

anyhow the question is, is +.1 volt excessive?
the only thing ive done so far to really tax the system is run 3Dmark 03 back to back for about 2 hours or so, it's all i could come up with without searching around on google for a program that taxes a system continously for long periods of time

My CPU idle temp is 33 degrees C
running 3d mark for a couple hours got me up to 40 degrees C, after stoping it went back to 33 degrees within a minute or so

i can go back into the bios and change everything back and never look back, overclocking doesnt excite me to much, but at the same time i got a %15 increase in my 3d mark score from overclocking, system definately feels just a tad bit faster (though this could be in my head hehe)

advice, suggestions, or anyone that has had experience overclocking socket 754 semprons would be greatly apreciated

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
no it doesn't the RAM speed still reads the same

and i just purchased this - no way i would buy anything else

the over clocking ability of the motherboard is fine so far runs at 2400 with no problems so far

i dont really recall asking about what to upgrade or buy....

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your .1 voltage increase is minimal so I wouldn't worry about that.

Download Prime95 and run the torture test for a while to check stability. I thought my systems were stable before I tested them with Prime95 and they weren't. It's a great tool for testing OC stability.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Well i bumped the CPU up to 2400mhz from 2000mhz
to keep it stable i also bumped up the Vcore + 0.1 volt
i tried +0.05 but windoze kept locking up on me

system specs are as follows (for anyone that really wants to know)

Sempron 3400+ Palermo Core (stock cooling)
Biostar Geforce 6100-M7 motherboard
512 MB PC2100 memory (64 MB being used by onboard Video)
HIPRO HP-E4009F5WR ATX 400W Power Supply
HD and Cd ROM types not important

anyhow the question is, is +.1 volt excessive?
the only thing ive done so far to really tax the system is run 3Dmark 03 back to back for about 2 hours or so, it's all i could come up with without searching around on google for a program that taxes a system continously for long periods of time

My CPU idle temp is 33 degrees C
running 3d mark for a couple hours got me up to 40 degrees C, after stoping it went back to 33 degrees within a minute or so

i can go back into the bios and change everything back and never look back, overclocking doesnt excite me to much, but at the same time i got a %15 increase in my 3d mark score from overclocking, system definately feels just a tad bit faster (though this could be in my head hehe)

advice, suggestions, or anyone that has had experience overclocking socket 754 semprons would be greatly apreciated
8O Dude thats the nicest oc i've ever seen on a sempron!

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
8O Dude thats the nicest oc i've ever seen on a sempron!

show s how much of a plant/noob u areLook shut up ok i've never seen a sempron oc like that with little voltage increase first of all. and second i'm not a noob i've built alot of pc's for friends. third i did oc my bros newcastle 3000 socket 754 to that speed but i had to bump up the voltage to 1.7 8). fourth the sempron voltage is at 1.4 ok mines was at 1.5 :x . and fifth the only sempron i ever oced was a the 3000 to 2.1 with a bump to 1.55 voltage :p so yeah for a sempron thats nice to me.

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
well after reading a bit on Prime's web site about what people consider stable, blah blah - so i got some mixed feelings about what truly stable might be (they say to "doubt it" after all heh)

but anyway - running Prime for a about 45 mins in torture test mode - My CPU started slowly warming up, it made it up to 48C (I didn't let it get higher). I stoped Prime and went back into BIOS and found the best overclock i can get is 2200mhz with no voltage increase and Prime runs totally stable - no errors - and my CPU temp never goes over 41C.

I think i will get better cooling before i attempt more. I'm just not comfortable with the temp going that much higher over what it does at stock speeds.

I apreciate the tip on the Prime program (thanks)