How is this configuration?

After some help from the board and reading reviews from THW I put together this configuration. How it does it sound to you guys....

Case-Lian Li PC-V1000B Plus w/Window
CPU AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4800+
Motherboard Asus-A8N-SLI Premium
Graphics Card Video-XFX GEFORCE 7800 GTX 256MB PCI EXPRESS
Power Supply ENERMAX EG701AX-VE SFMA
HD1 SEAGATE 400GB ST3400633AS SATA300 7200RPM 8MB
HD2 SEAGATE 500GB ST3500641AS SATA300 7200RPM 8MB
DVD/CD PLEXTOR DUAL 6x/DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER 8x4x16x/DVD+-RW 48x24x48x/ CD-RW EIDE W/SW (Black)
DVD/CD 2 SONY DDU1615 BLACK 16X DVD/40X CD ROM EIDE INTERNAL DRIVE
Memory CORSAIR twinx2048-400PT
Floppy DRIVE SONY 1.44MB BLACK FLOPPY DRIVE

Thanks in advance
Ed
9 answers Last reply
More about configuration
  1. Looks like a winner. Even though your not buying dual graphics, its still nice to have the SLI for a future upgrade. The seagate drives I've had good luck with and they are very zippy. Good choices
  2. Yeah I feel the same way the only issue is that the ones that are not SLI seem to have less features. I considered the A8N-VM CSM but it is not apparent on their website that it supports SATA 3Gb/s. If it did I would probably go with that....

Thanks
    Ed
  3. If you are going to be doing a fair amont of 3d gaming, then I would consider the following, if overall cost is an object:

Drop the cpu down to a 4400+ (still essentially two 3700+ processors on a single core, plenty for gaming, but at a couple hundred $$ less), and the mb to a non-SLI variant, usually saving another $100

Up the video card to a $520 X1900XT; it's drastically faster at high res, sometimes defeating even a pair of SLI GTX256's in many gaming benchmarks...

Just my opinion, but the revised rig would be capable of running most games at 2 or 3 steps higher resolution with similar framerates...
  4. You dont really need 900GB HDD, do ya?
  5. Quote:
    You dont really need 900GB HDD, do ya?

I have a really large Howard Stern Show Collection (MP3 and TV).... :) I do a lot of Video and TIVO stuff so yeah in the next 2 years I will need it....

Ed
  6. Quote:
    If you are going to be doing a fair amont of 3d gaming, then I would consider the following, if overall cost is an object:

Drop the cpu down to a 4400+ (still essentially two 3700+ processors on a single core, plenty for gaming, but at a couple hundred $$ less), and the mb to a non-SLI variant, usually saving another $100

Up the video card to a $520 X1900XT; it's drastically faster at high res, sometimes defeating even a pair of SLI GTX256's in many gaming benchmarks...

Just my opinion, but the revised rig would be capable of running most games at 2 or 3 steps higher resolution with similar framerates...

I am thinking about these suggestions as they seem well thought out...Thank you
  7. I think I am going to do that with the cpu as the benchmarks aren't all that different.

I am liking what I read about the X1900XT, my question then becomes whose make of this card is the one to get? The ATI, Asus or who?

Another question is what would be a good Motherboard for this video chipset. I have had good luck with Asus. Is there a particular model? I need firewire builtin and prefer to take advantage of something like the SATA 3Gb/s featured on the Asus-A8N-SLI Premium... Don't need audio as I have a seperate external MAUDIO FW Card with a power amp and studio monitors.

Thanks man I REALLY appreciate the advice as my brain is burning from all of the reviews, benchmarks etc.....

Thanks
    Ed
  8. Get the 74 Gb Western Digital Raptor for your hard drive instead. Get 3 of them and raid it. Unless you really need 900 Gb of space.
  9. a single 74gb would be nice, 2 for raid 0 is okay, 3 is kinda pointless....

he said he needs the 900gb for howard stern's stuff... 900gb is alot, but to each his own...

for that much money, why not an opty 170/175?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Configuration CD-Rom Systems