newsgroup fly-in?

Would anyone be interested in having a newsgroup fly-in? We'd need to
arrange the following:

- Date

- Time

- Location

- Route (if we decided to fly to more than one airport)

- Network. For this last, I'm inclined to do it on VATSIM. Depending on
the location we picked, we might be able to arrange with the local
FIR/ARTCC for some ATC. But participants would need to join VATSIM
beforehand, and there might be a better alternative.

How much interest is there in this, and would people like to suggest a
date, time, location, or route? I'm thinking somewhere in mid- to late
May. If people enjoyed it, we could probably schedule another one on
shorter notice.

william

There is a world wide event scheduled for the 7th of May on VATSIM if that
may be an issue for you. Also suggest a uniform call sign to make the group
more recognizable

Bill

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1113760387.21315@forums.simradar.com...

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:54:06 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura wrote:

> Would anyone be interested in having a newsgroup fly-in? We'd need to
> arrange the following:

It's been suggested a few times before, David.
The biggest problem is time, since this group is mainly divided into three
continents: North America, Europe and Down Under (Oz and Kiwi-land).

Example: Sydney is UTC+10, Amsterdam is UTC+2, New York is UTC-4,
Los Angelas is UTC-7, Wellington is UTC+12, Calgary is UTC-6.

Finding a time that would suit everyone is very difficult.

Location is something else. Most people prefer to fly in their own
backyards.

The rest is a piece of cake.

I'm all for it, and so are most people here, but getting it started is a
huge problem.

--

Marcel
(Gear up, AP engaged...hey...what's that emergency light?)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

William wrote:
> There is a world wide event scheduled for the 7th of May on VATSIM if that
> may be an issue for you. Also suggest a uniform call sign to make the group
> more recognizable
>

> Bill

That would work. Some of the call signs I had over the years:

Wing 70 - Stuttgart Intl.

Raider 51 - Korea

Sabbath 66 - 2nd inf division, Korea, 1974, short for "Black Sabbath"
Our Cobra platoon picked this and it lasted for a few days until FOC
South (flight following) asked us: "Sabbath? Like in Sunday??" We
quickly changed it to a more ominous sounding callsign. I just can't
remember what the heck it was. Soon as I dig out all the farewell
plaques I'll know.

Maintenance 13 - Nurnberg Germany

That's all I remember but it gives a starting place to choose a
callsign. (Just not Black Sabbath please!!!!)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Would be fun. Need's lot's of coordination before hand though.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
> Would anyone be interested in having a newsgroup fly-in? We'd need to
> arrange the following:
>
> - Date
>
> - Time
>
> - Location
>
> - Route (if we decided to fly to more than one airport)
>
> - Network. For this last, I'm inclined to do it on VATSIM. Depending on
> the location we picked, we might be able to arrange with the local
> FIR/ARTCC for some ATC. But participants would need to join VATSIM
> beforehand, and there might be a better alternative.
>
> How much interest is there in this, and would people like to suggest a
> date, time, location, or route? I'm thinking somewhere in mid- to late
> May. If people enjoyed it, we could probably schedule another one on
> shorter notice.

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I place the name of David Wilson-Okamura in nomination to chair that
committee. All in favor say AYE!

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1113760387.21315@forums.simradar.com...
> Would anyone be interested in having a newsgroup fly-in? We'd need to
> arrange the following:
>
> - Date
>
> - Time
>
> - Location
>
> - Route (if we decided to fly to more than one airport)
>
> - Network. For this last, I'm inclined to do it on VATSIM. Depending on
> the location we picked, we might be able to arrange with the local
> FIR/ARTCC for some ATC. But participants would need to join VATSIM
> beforehand, and there might be a better alternative.
>
> How much interest is there in this, and would people like to suggest a
> date, time, location, or route? I'm thinking somewhere in mid- to late
> May. If people enjoyed it, we could probably schedule another one on
> shorter notice.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

>>Would anyone be interested in having a newsgroup fly-in? We'd need to
>>arrange the following:
>>
>>- Date
>>
>>- Time
>>
>>- Location
>>
>>- Route (if we decided to fly to more than one airport)
>>
>>- Network. For this last, I'm inclined to do it on VATSIM. Depending on
>>the location we picked, we might be able to arrange with the local
>>FIR/ARTCC for some ATC. But participants would need to join VATSIM
>>beforehand, and there might be a better alternative.
>>
>>How much interest is there in this, and would people like to suggest a
>>date, time, location, or route? I'm thinking somewhere in mid- to late
>>May. If people enjoyed it, we could probably schedule another one on
>>shorter notice.

Geoff does this all the time. I've been invited but have somehow never
had the opportunity but Geoff could tell us an easy way to link up.
VATSIM.... Well.... Still working on that French Utility. :)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1113760387.21315@forums.simradar.com...
> Would anyone be interested in having a newsgroup fly-in?

I think it's a great idea. Would be nice to see the flying skills of the
others, including those who are current/ex pros.

>We'd need to arrange the following:
> - Date

Would probably have to be a weekend, that way people from the different
continents would be able to join (due to time difference).

> - Time
I was thinking evening in Europe, that way it would be morning/early
afternoon in North America. As for those in Aussie land, it would mean a
very early morning. This was just my idea, I'm sure others can come up with
bettter.

> - Location
As everone seems to like flying local, this could be difficult to decide. My
idea would be a vote for which country/continent would be most liked then go
from there.

> - Route (if we decided to fly to more than one airport)
As above.

> - Network. For this last, I'm inclined to do it on VATSIM. Depending on
> the location we picked, we might be able to arrange with the local
> FIR/ARTCC for some ATC. But participants would need to join VATSIM
> beforehand, and there might be a better alternative.

It's probably a good idea to use VATSIM due to the amount of people already
registered. Now squawkbox 3 is out it's also very easy for people to use
voice.

> How much interest is there in this, and would people like to suggest a
> date, time, location, or route? I'm thinking somewhere in mid- to late
> May. If people enjoyed it, we could probably schedule another one on
> shorter notice.

My personal preference would be late May (between 19th and 30th), on VATSIM,
somewhere around either the UK or Ontario, Canada.

Just my thoughts,
Jimbo.

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1113760387.21315@forums.simradar.com...
> Would anyone be interested in having a newsgroup fly-in?

I think it's a great idea. Would be nice to see the flying skills of the
others, including those who are current/ex pros.

>We'd need to arrange the following:
> - Date

Would probably have to be a weekend, that way people from the different
continents would be able to join (due to time difference).

> - Time
I was thinking evening in Europe, that way it would be morning/early
afternoon in North America. As for those in Aussie land, it would mean a
very early morning. This was just my idea, I'm sure others can come up with
bettter.

> - Location
As everone seems to like flying local, this could be difficult to decide. My
idea would be a vote for which country/continent would be most liked then go
from there.

> - Route (if we decided to fly to more than one airport)
As above.

> - Network. For this last, I'm inclined to do it on VATSIM. Depending on
> the location we picked, we might be able to arrange with the local
> FIR/ARTCC for some ATC. But participants would need to join VATSIM
> beforehand, and there might be a better alternative.

It's probably a good idea to use VATSIM due to the amount of people already
registered. Now squawkbox 3 is out it's also very easy for people to use
voice.

> How much interest is there in this, and would people like to suggest a
> date, time, location, or route? I'm thinking somewhere in mid- to late
> May. If people enjoyed it, we could probably schedule another one on
> shorter notice.

My personal preference would be late May (between 19th and 30th), on VATSIM,
somewhere around either the UK or Ontario, Canada.

Just my thoughts,
Jimbo.

I don't mind coordinating, and if we're talking about late May then
there's time to do it right. The biggest issue that I see is finding a
time when people from North America, Europe, and the western Pacific
can all be awake and fit to fly airplanes. I spent some time studying a
time zone chart yesterday and I don't see how we can do it. As it
happens, I was also having dinner with someone who has done research on
calendars and chronometers. He thought about it for thirty seconds and
said we're out of luck.

My suggestion: let's see who's interested and pick a time that will
accommodate MOST of the willing participants. If the first one goes
well, then we do the next one at a time that will accommodate the
people who got left out the first time around. Sound reasonable?

If you're interested, email me at dswo@yahoo.com. Put "Newsgroup
fly-in" in the subject header and tell me the following:

1. Name

2. Email

3. Your local timezone

4. Any suggestions about location or route

5. How long you think the event should last (I'm guessing 2 hours is
going to be the ceiling for most people, but it might be lower.)

6. Any suggestions for our call-sign (see boB's email above).

7. Don't forget to put "Newsgroup fly-in" in the subject header!

If you'd like to help with organization, you can mention that too. I
promise not to use any of the information you send me, including your
email address, for weird or commercial purposes.

This sounds like a great idea, but needs 1 person to head it all that has
good knowledge of VATSIM, we would also need controllers aswell or a place
that has alot of controllers, also the place of flying, I am in England and
with others and I think we have some ozzies here aswell as the yanks, so I
think that would need a lot of help, other then that we join a local
divisions flying, I know there is one at Frankfurt on Friday (Frankfurt
Friday) and one on Thursday for Vatsim-UK

--
www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 05:53:22 GMT, boB wrote:

> Geoff does this all the time. I've been invited but have somehow never
> had the opportunity but Geoff could tell us an easy way to link up.
> VATSIM.... Well.... Still working on that French Utility. :)

He invited me to fly with him too....a PMDG737 mini-formation.
A couple of times....somehow I've never gotten around to taking up his
offer. But I will some day.

--

Marcel
(...travelling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!)

I'm not sure if I'm the Geoff that Bob and Marcel refer to but if I am here
are my thoughts on the matter. To use VATSIM is asking for trouble unless
all are familiar with it. I for one am not that experienced but have a few
hours logged. Also I'm not sure how the VATSIM guys would take to us being
informal on their net.

When we've done this previously (As Marcel will testify) we have used the FS
multiplayer facility and Roger Wilco for speech. In realty we used FSHost as
it combines 2002 and 2004 sessions plus some fun features for the guy
running it such as weather control :) I think better voice services than
Roger Wilco are now available but I can't recall the names.

Another aspect of FSHost is that it runs independently of FS, therefore you
can run it on laptop on the hosting persons LAN for better FPS on their
machine. That's what I do when I host.

I would suggest ten is a practical max if people want any sort of
interaction, as more becomes unwieldy. A predefined flight plan exported for
the various systems is also useful in advance, as well as competence in
connecting. Run a few tests in advance to avoid the fly in being a software
tutorial day.

In the past we have had Europe and US online, but worldwide would take more
dedication on the part of some.

If we did pull something together I would consider hosting it if that helps.
I recently upgraded to a 4Mbps broadband service so that will avoid
bottlenecks for both voice and FS. Speaking of which, it's a bit of a
challenge doing this on a modem, although it can be done.

Just my two penneth worth

Geoff

"Chris Harries" <chrisflyer@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> This sounds like a great idea, but needs 1 person to head it all that has
> good knowledge of VATSIM, we would also need controllers aswell or a place
> that has alot of controllers, also the place of flying, I am in England
and
> with others and I think we have some ozzies here aswell as the yanks, so I
> think that would need a lot of help, other then that we join a local
> divisions flying, I know there is one at Frankfurt on Friday (Frankfurt
> Friday) and one on Thursday for Vatsim-UK
>
> --
> www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
> www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.
> I apologise now for any spelling mistakes or bad grammar
> --
> "David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
> message news:1113760387.21315@forums.simradar.com...
> > Would anyone be interested in having a newsgroup fly-in? We'd need to
> > arrange the following:
> >
> > - Date
> >
> > - Time
> >
> > - Location
> >
> > - Route (if we decided to fly to more than one airport)
> >
> > - Network. For this last, I'm inclined to do it on VATSIM. Depending on
> > the location we picked, we might be able to arrange with the local
> > FIR/ARTCC for some ATC. But participants would need to join VATSIM
> > beforehand, and there might be a better alternative.
> >
> > How much interest is there in this, and would people like to suggest a
> > date, time, location, or route? I'm thinking somewhere in mid- to late
> > May. If people enjoyed it, we could probably schedule another one on
> > shorter notice.

Evening all,

Vatsim with SB3 takes care of the Voice problem within itself. I think your
thinking of Teamspeak as the best voice program available.

Using Vatsim must be formal, NO informal joking at all. If that is
everyones intention then FSHost would be a much better place to fly. I'm
sure there are probably a couple of ATC's in here somewhere LOL. Practiced
or not.

Sounds like your all talking about a "World Wide Virtual Airline" instead of
just a Newsgroup event. If you want to make matters more efficient, go over
to Hovercontrol.com for ideas. They have an informal place to fly. Set
adventures to follow like S&R "Search and Rescue", Fire Spotting and a
couple of others. They even have a flight school for a Pilots License. Yes
they are only a Helo VA but with there ideas, with a little creativity the
way you have evolved this discussion, this could take off as a good place to
fly. Or a better VA with Hubs all over the world.

I would suggest that you NOT limit yourselves in any way at this point. All
ideas should be welcome and bounced around a little to form the best group
event you can. So far your doing this and if you take a step back and look
at it from a distance, you now have a major thing developing.

Mark G
Not4wood

"GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > the location we picked, we might be able to arrange with the local
>> > FIR/ARTCC for some ATC. But participants would need to join VATSIM
>> > beforehand, and there might be a better alternative.
>> >
>> > How much interest is there in this, and would people like to suggest a
>> > date, time, location, or route? I'm thinking somewhere in mid- to late
>> > May. If people enjoyed it, we could probably schedule another one on
>> > shorter notice.

"GeoffC" <geoff_noise@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure if I'm the Geoff that Bob and Marcel refer to but if I am
> here
> are my thoughts on the matter. To use VATSIM is asking for trouble unless
> all are familiar with it. I for one am not that experienced but have a few
> hours logged. Also I'm not sure how the VATSIM guys would take to us
If you guys want to do an informal newsgroup fly-in, you're very
welcome to use the server at http://flightsim.apollo3.com. As someone
mentioned, I'm sure there are controllers in this group. So some of you can
login as controllers and others can login as pilots. All the software you
need have links on the front page.

The software you need is FSInn (an SB3 alternative also usable on
VATSIM) for the pilots. The controllers can download ProController.

Just mention here the date and time, and anyone interested, can log
into the server.

You can setup Team Speak to the controllers frequency, and informally
chat with your buddy with Team Speak's whisper command.

This can be a great alternative for getting experience before jumping
fully into VATSIM.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James