Help please! Windows not finishing loading

TheGman_GL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Windows 7 never finishes loading. Sometimes I get the desktop with all icons but the mouse pointer has the loading icon and i can't do a thing. Other times I only get the background image and the start bar but again, I can't do a thing. All this started after I had to force-shutdown my laptop after it froze while I was watching a maximized youtube video on Firefox 4... What can I do? Do you thing Firefox was the problem? I need that machine back!

Solution

Step #1 is to test the machine is Safe Mode and see if it behaves itself in Safe Mode.
If it does, it's likely your issue is a software problem.

Test that first though before jumping to conclusions. It will make things simpler in the long run.

Also the other classic thing to do if you...

muz_j

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

Step #1 is to test the machine is Safe Mode and see if it behaves itself in Safe Mode.
If it does, it's likely your issue is a software problem.

Test that first though before jumping to conclusions. It will make things simpler in the long run.

Also the other classic thing to do if you can get it to run in Safe Mode is to perform a disk check on all your drives and fix any errors if present. You may have corrupted a portion of your file system by forcing the shutdown (if the disk was actively in use at the time).

Solution

TheGman_GL

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

Mehh... I downloaded CCleaner and my laptop is fine again, only some Microsoft services (IE, Messenger, etc.) slightly unstable. I heard registry cleaners are a good subject for debate but I can say based on my experience that they work.

TRENDING THREADS