how to tell if cpu overclocked?

noobathon

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I know warranties are void if we overclock, but how do manufacturers tell if we have done so? Do cpu's have some kind of memory of what they were set at (like in their cache?). Please explain.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
i highly doubt that they can, since video card overclocking is driver based (usually) and processor/memory overclocking is motherboard bios based. unless you switch bios's on a video card, i doubt theyd know. however, it is interesting to note that intel cpu's do have an identifiable id code that can be read with software so it is a possibility that it might mark itself as overclocked and read when it is sent in.

noobathon

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Cool- thanks for the reply dude. So is saying they'll void our warranty just a scare tactic to stop us from getting more bang for our buck? OC'ing is fun, and I think i'm learning more about computers in the process.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
anybody who tells you that will f*ck up your hardware from overclocking is retarded. just don't screw with the built-in features on a video card and make SURE heat is down and you'll have plenty of success.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
That's an interesting question, hhmmm, I never thought about it. Well overclocking the CPU generates lots of heat due to increase of voltage. So, if you return a broken/fried cpu due to overclocking I think the manufacturer would know it if they see the CPU fried.

Does anybody have successfully returned a fried CPU and got a replacement?