Using XP PRO VPN CLient to connect to SONICWALL?

Last response: in Networking
August 11, 2004 10:33:28 PM

Can someone tell me if there is a way to use the built in WINDOWS XP
PRO VPN CLIENT to connect to a SONICWALL PRO 330 vpn and if so how? I
have tried everything and it wont connect. It appears I can only
connect to the sonicwall using the SONICWALL GLOBAL VPN CLIENT..
anyone get it to work??

Thanks..

More about : pro vpn client connect sonicwall

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 5:21:37 PM

Dave Hauss wrote:
> Can someone tell me if there is a way to use the built in WINDOWS XP
> PRO VPN CLIENT to connect to a SONICWALL PRO 330 vpn and if so how? I
> have tried everything and it wont connect. It appears I can only
> connect to the sonicwall using the SONICWALL GLOBAL VPN CLIENT..
> anyone get it to work??
>
> Thanks..

Yes I can answer that:

No, there is no way to do it. According to sonicwall it has to do with
the way the XP client negotiates - apparently it does so in a
"non-standard" way. Something to do with jow it handles aggressive mode.

Other VPN clients will likely work OK, just not the windows XP built in
client.
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 9:06:45 PM

dahauss@unlimitedsounds.com (Dave Hauss) wrote:
>Can someone tell me if there is a way to use the built in WINDOWS XP
>PRO VPN CLIENT to connect to a SONICWALL PRO 330 vpn and if so how? I
>have tried everything and it wont connect. It appears I can only
>connect to the sonicwall using the SONICWALL GLOBAL VPN CLIENT..
>anyone get it to work??
>
>Thanks..

XP built-in IPsec client can connect to standards-conforming IPsec VPN
server easily. For step-by-step configuration, see my company website
below. Some commercial VPN servers implements some proprietary stuff
only to tight their users up, which neither enhances security nor
performance.

The leader in Green VPN solutions
http://strongsolutions.addr.com/
September 13, 2004 9:06:46 PM

INVALID@google.com wrote:

> XP built-in IPsec client can connect to standards-conforming IPsec VPN
> server easily. For step-by-step configuration, see my company website
> below. Some commercial VPN servers implements some proprietary stuff
> only to tight their users up, which neither enhances security nor
> performance.

No. In fact if the remote end properly implements agressive mode as per
the standard, the windoze XP ipsec client won't work with it.

-Sean
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 2:10:00 PM

"T. Sean Weintz" <strap@hanh-ct.org> wrote:
>INVALID@google.com wrote:
>>
>> XP built-in IPsec client can connect to standards-conforming IPsec VPN
>> server easily. For step-by-step configuration, see my company website
>> below. Some commercial VPN servers implements some proprietary stuff
>> only to tight their users up, which neither enhances security nor
>> performance.
>
>No. In fact if the remote end properly implements agressive mode as per
>the standard, the windoze XP ipsec client won't work with it.
>
>-Sean

Exactly. You are correct. But let's look at the bright side, rather than
the dark side. (Note that there are already tons of nodes bashing M$
stuff.) That's why main mode should be used always. Hence, people trying
to "configure" Win IPsec clients to do aggressive mode with
standards-conforming IPsec VPN servers would find themselves in a
difficult situation.

Use main mode/transport mode combination to configure Win IPsec client
to connect to standards-conforming IPsec servers. Win IPsec clients by
Microsoft/Cisco do conform to standards mostly because they can
interoperate with standards-conforming IPsec servers in main mode.
However, Win IPsec clients only do 3des in low-grade (export version)
encryption if case anyone cares the quality of encryption.