Using XP PRO VPN CLient to connect to SONICWALL?

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

Can someone tell me if there is a way to use the built in WINDOWS XP
PRO VPN CLIENT to connect to a SONICWALL PRO 330 vpn and if so how? I
have tried everything and it wont connect. It appears I can only
connect to the sonicwall using the SONICWALL GLOBAL VPN CLIENT..
anyone get it to work??

Thanks..
4 answers Last reply
More about using client connect sonicwall
  1. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

    Dave Hauss wrote:
    > Can someone tell me if there is a way to use the built in WINDOWS XP
    > PRO VPN CLIENT to connect to a SONICWALL PRO 330 vpn and if so how? I
    > have tried everything and it wont connect. It appears I can only
    > connect to the sonicwall using the SONICWALL GLOBAL VPN CLIENT..
    > anyone get it to work??
    >
    > Thanks..


    Yes I can answer that:

    No, there is no way to do it. According to sonicwall it has to do with
    the way the XP client negotiates - apparently it does so in a
    "non-standard" way. Something to do with jow it handles aggressive mode.

    Other VPN clients will likely work OK, just not the windows XP built in
    client.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

    dahauss@unlimitedsounds.com (Dave Hauss) wrote:
    >Can someone tell me if there is a way to use the built in WINDOWS XP
    >PRO VPN CLIENT to connect to a SONICWALL PRO 330 vpn and if so how? I
    >have tried everything and it wont connect. It appears I can only
    >connect to the sonicwall using the SONICWALL GLOBAL VPN CLIENT..
    >anyone get it to work??
    >
    >Thanks..

    XP built-in IPsec client can connect to standards-conforming IPsec VPN
    server easily. For step-by-step configuration, see my company website
    below. Some commercial VPN servers implements some proprietary stuff
    only to tight their users up, which neither enhances security nor
    performance.

    ------------------------------------------------
    The leader in Green VPN solutions
    http://strongsolutions.addr.com/
    ------------------------------------------------
  3. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

    INVALID@google.com wrote:

    >
    >
    > XP built-in IPsec client can connect to standards-conforming IPsec VPN
    > server easily. For step-by-step configuration, see my company website
    > below. Some commercial VPN servers implements some proprietary stuff
    > only to tight their users up, which neither enhances security nor
    > performance.

    No. In fact if the remote end properly implements agressive mode as per
    the standard, the windoze XP ipsec client won't work with it.

    -Sean
  4. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

    "T. Sean Weintz" <strap@hanh-ct.org> wrote:
    >INVALID@google.com wrote:
    >>
    >> XP built-in IPsec client can connect to standards-conforming IPsec VPN
    >> server easily. For step-by-step configuration, see my company website
    >> below. Some commercial VPN servers implements some proprietary stuff
    >> only to tight their users up, which neither enhances security nor
    >> performance.
    >
    >No. In fact if the remote end properly implements agressive mode as per
    >the standard, the windoze XP ipsec client won't work with it.
    >
    >-Sean

    Exactly. You are correct. But let's look at the bright side, rather than
    the dark side. (Note that there are already tons of nodes bashing M$
    stuff.) That's why main mode should be used always. Hence, people trying
    to "configure" Win IPsec clients to do aggressive mode with
    standards-conforming IPsec VPN servers would find themselves in a
    difficult situation.

    Use main mode/transport mode combination to configure Win IPsec client
    to connect to standards-conforming IPsec servers. Win IPsec clients by
    Microsoft/Cisco do conform to standards mostly because they can
    interoperate with standards-conforming IPsec servers in main mode.
    However, Win IPsec clients only do 3des in low-grade (export version)
    encryption if case anyone cares the quality of encryption.

    ------------------------------------------------
    The leader in Green VPN solutions
    http://strongsolutions.addr.com/
    ------------------------------------------------
Ask a new question

Read More

vpn Connection Windows XP Networking