Need help with hp pavilion 700

hi guys i need help with my hp pavilion 700
system specs:
Intel Pentium 4 2.00 Ghz
512 mb ram
80 gb hard drive

the problem i have is that my computer wont power up i looked inside the computer cpu fan is not working and when i turn on my pc on its a black screen with nothing on it and the power supply making funny noises.
any suggestions?
thanks any help is appreciated.
18 answers Last reply
More about need pavilion
  1. The power supply comes on, does it stay on or shut back down? When is the last time you had the case open to clean it out? Right off the top of my head, you've got a power issue. If there is alot of dust and dirt in the power supply or in the case, clean it out first. Do the lights on the front of the case come on stay on?

Just based on what you've said it is, its a power issue. The machine is not getting power. Check the cord from the wall to the tower. Make sure it is plugged in good and check the condition of the cord. Try plugging it into another plug in the wall too. I've had that happen before. Let us know.

L
  2. I would also say it's a power issue. Try doing what Luminaris suggested and let us know how it went. Good luck :D
  3. Most common failure in those is the power supply, I've replaced quite a few.
  4. Yep. That's what happens when people buy from major OEMs. They just cut too many corners for my taste. :roll:
  5. thanks to everybody!
    the only thing i know is that i opened the case and took the memory stick out and put it back like it was before!
    yeah there was a lot of dust. power supply stays on but cpu fan doesnt work blank screen.
    thanks again.
  6. About the only thing you can do at this point is try hooking up a different PSU to see if it boots up. Chances are its either the PSU going bad or there is a problem with the board and possibly the CPU. If the CPU fan is bad, some boards can detect that and the CPU will not power up. Normally, I start with swapping out the PSU first then go from there.
  7. You guys will love this, but someone told me that HP's Customer Service (Customer Service....Hah!) told them that static electricity can build up inside the power supply if they leave a machine on all the time by letting it go into that worthless sleep mode. This can cause the computer to not turn back on if they actually turn it off (what a concept) and they should leave it off unplugged for at least an hour and try to turn it on again.

Anyways, you tried reseating the memory to fix the problem, or you reseated the memory and now it won't come on?
  8. Quote:
    You guys will love this, but someone told me that HP's Customer Service (Customer Service....Hah!) told them that static electricity can build up inside the power supply if they leave a machine on all the time by letting it go into that worthless sleep mode. This can cause the computer to not turn back on if they actually turn it off (what a concept) and they should leave it off unplugged for at least an hour and try to turn it on again.
    Actually, I've seen misc. consumer electronics do weird stuff like that. In general, if anything starts giving me problems I always unplug it for a while and try again later. It's amazing how many times that fixes things. :lol:

But I've heard worse. I had a friend that bought a hard drive from Best Buy. He put it in his system and it was acting horribly. So he runs scandisk on it ... tons and tons of damaged sectors. It was an obvious example of bad S&H somewhere along the way.

So he calls their customer service to RMA the drive. They fought with him on it for over an hour, trying to blame him for damaging the hard drive by running scandisk. Because you're not supposed to run scandisk on a hard drive you know. 8O

It seems like so very often customer service is more like customer dis-service. :lol: And that was years ago before everything got outsourced to India.
  9. i put a brand new power supply. Thermatake 410 W.
    I cleaned the whole computer no dust. I still cant fix it. I unplugged the whole computer no effect. You guys are right about the customer service, its more like dis-service.
    Any ideas are appreciated!
    thanks.
  10. Quote:
    Anyways, you tried reseating the memory to fix the problem, or you reseated the memory and now it won't come on?

Could you answer the above question? Thnx.
  11. If that's the case, something terminal has happened. Alot of times with older or OEM PSUs, they have no real protection in them so when they go, they can damage your system.

If the system fans come on at all, pull the CPU fan off and plug it into another fan header on the board to see if it comes on. If that fan quit working, your CPU may be shot if it overheated and the board has no thermal protection. Try that next.

The problem is, its so easy to point the finger at the PSU in these cases. I still think the PSU went and I can almost guarantee, it took everything else with it. But testing each piece of hardware will tell us.
  12. I think thats what happened. i cant reset my memory dont know how
    now i just have to buy a new computer.
    thanks to everybody!
  13. All you have to do to is RESEAT your memory:

Open the case

Ground yourself

Pull out ONE memory module by pressing down on the tabs at each end.

Memory is keyed, meaning it only fits one way

Put it back in the SAME slot using constant pressure

If it seats correctly, the tabs you pushed down on in the first step will flip back up and lock into the memory chip in notches on each side of the chip

If you are trying to seat it incorrectly, the chip will not go all the way in and the tabs will not flip up.

Repeat the process for the rest of your memory chips.

I would advise doing this before buying a new computer.
  14. I've seen a dead short develope on a hard drive's controller circuit that prevents a system from starting at all.
  15. Crashman, you've probably seen everything under the sun. :D
  16. Well, not under Sun, but HP, Compaq, Dell, eMachines, IBM, Gateway, Packard Bell...
  17. BTW, the shorted-out on-drive controller card is fairly common in HP and Compaq machines with Quantum drives, but I've seen it on a few Seagates too. Don't know what makes HP and Compaq so special :)
  18. Quote:
    Don't know what makes HP and Compaq so special :)
    You mean other than that they ride the short bus? :mrgreen:

Seriously though, you can't even trust HP's laptops anymore. :( I've never seen so many failed hard drives in the duration of the warranty period as I have with my ex's HP laptop. Funny how when I gave up and bought my own dependable HD instead of dealing with their RMAs all of the failures stopped cold.

So yeah, HP must do something awfully special to their hard drives. :lol:
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computer HP Pavilion