Says I need to consult the system administrator.......huh?

August 24, 2004 6:45:39 PM

I tried to change my homepage and my computer is telling
me I need to consult my system administrator because
somehow Windows thinks I have blocked this feature. This
is my computer and NO one else uses it. I am still listed
as the administrator in "my computer". How do I change
this setting so that I can change various system wide
stuff. Thanks
August 24, 2004 8:07:02 PM

hey jim,
try to change the home page in the safe mode
Reboot the computer and while it is restarting hit the F8 key. We will
get the windows advanced options menu. select safe mode and login to
windows
try to change the home page in the safe mode.
also run a spyware removal tool from www.microsoft.com/spyware
Download the Lavasoft tool and run a scan on the system.
could also check this link from the microsoft knowledge base
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320159

good luck Jim! need more help pl mail to v-2mnair@mssupport.microsoft.com

"Jim" wrote:

> I tried to change my homepage and my computer is telling
> me I need to consult my system administrator because
> somehow Windows thinks I have blocked this feature. This
> is my computer and NO one else uses it. I am still listed
> as the administrator in "my computer". How do I change
> this setting so that I can change various system wide
> stuff. Thanks

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 11:17:02 PM

If this is XP pro... Sign in as admin. Go to run and type GPEDIT.MSC. Choose
and expand "user configuration". Choose "Windows settings". Choose "Internet
Explorer Maintenance". Click on "URL's". Now choose "Important URLs" There is
a homepage choice there. Select the appropriate choice to customize your
Homepage. Enter in your choice for a page or clear the check box if the
offending page is listed in the "Homepage URL:" window...

cheers,
Spiney_Norman