Windows Update Failure

August 24, 2004 6:50:38 PM

I did a system restore on an HP Pavilion a265c and now I
can't get Windows update to work. I can call up the web
site & get the following, but nothing ever comes up. The
computer does not "freeze". The page just never does
anything:

Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update
software...

Depending on your connection speed, this might take a
minute. During this time, you may receive one or more
security warnings. Review each security warning to ensure
that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click
Install or Yes to install the software.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Update worked fine
before the restore. Thanks. Doug

More about : windows update failure

August 24, 2004 7:59:09 PM

Hi Doug,
Check this link, go through the entire artickle
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813444
If you need more help pl mail back to v-2mnair@mssupport.microsoft.com.
Good luck!

This
"Doug" wrote:

> I did a system restore on an HP Pavilion a265c and now I
> can't get Windows update to work. I can call up the web
> site & get the following, but nothing ever comes up. The
> computer does not "freeze". The page just never does
> anything:
>
> Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update
> software...
>
> Depending on your connection speed, this might take a
> minute. During this time, you may receive one or more
> security warnings. Review each security warning to ensure
> that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click
> Install or Yes to install the software.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Update worked fine
> before the restore. Thanks. Doug

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:01:06 AM

Thanks very much for your reply. Went through the steps,
but was unsuccessful. Finally found this & it worked:

From the command line, ran:

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll

Got it off broadbandreports.com

Doug

October 5, 2004 5:39:04 PM

I have same /exact problem! From the command line? what is that? Please
expand! Thanks in advance!

"Doug" wrote:

> Thanks very much for your reply. Went through the steps,
> but was unsuccessful. Finally found this & it worked:
>
> From the command line, ran:
>
> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll
>
> Got it off broadbandreports.com
>
> Doug

Anonymous
October 7, 2004 1:44:25 AM

Click Start, select Run and type (Note: pressing enter after each one and wait for
the success message):

"stroker46" <stroker46@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have same /exact problem! From the command line? what is that? Please
> expand! Thanks in advance!
>
> "Doug" wrote:
>
>> Thanks very much for your reply. Went through the steps,
>> but was unsuccessful. Finally found this & it worked:
>>
>> From the command line, ran:
>>
>> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
>> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
>> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
>> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
>> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll
>>
>> Got it off broadbandreports.com
>>
>> Doug

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:09:02 AM

Mohan, Thank you so much for this info. I have been looking for 2 days for a
solution to this problem. As soon as I checked the security settings I knew
what the problem was. These settings get changed so easy. I just changed
the user settings from a user profile to "All Users use the same settings"
and all kinds problems occured. Lot of missing updates, etc. Again, thank
you so much.

!