Windows Update Failure

I did a system restore on an HP Pavilion a265c and now I
can't get Windows update to work. I can call up the web
site & get the following, but nothing ever comes up. The
computer does not "freeze". The page just never does
anything:

Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update
software...

Depending on your connection speed, this might take a
minute. During this time, you may receive one or more
security warnings. Review each security warning to ensure
that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click
Install or Yes to install the software.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Update worked fine
before the restore. Thanks. Doug
5 answers Last reply
More about windows update failure

    Hi Doug,
    Check this link, go through the entire artickle
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813444
    If you need more help pl mail back to v-2mnair@mssupport.microsoft.com.
    Good luck!

    This
    "Doug" wrote:

    > I did a system restore on an HP Pavilion a265c and now I
    > can't get Windows update to work. I can call up the web
    > site & get the following, but nothing ever comes up. The
    > computer does not "freeze". The page just never does
    > anything:
    >
    > Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update
    > software...
    >
    > Depending on your connection speed, this might take a
    > minute. During this time, you may receive one or more
    > security warnings. Review each security warning to ensure
    > that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click
    > Install or Yes to install the software.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated. Update worked fine
    > before the restore. Thanks. Doug

    Thanks very much for your reply. Went through the steps,
    but was unsuccessful. Finally found this & it worked:

    From the command line, ran:

    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll

    Got it off broadbandreports.com

    Doug

    I have same /exact problem! From the command line? what is that? Please
    expand! Thanks in advance!

    "Doug" wrote:

    > Thanks very much for your reply. Went through the steps,
    > but was unsuccessful. Finally found this & it worked:
    >
    > From the command line, ran:
    >
    > REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
    > REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
    > REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
    > REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
    > REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll
    >
    > Got it off broadbandreports.com
    >
    > Doug

    Click Start, select Run and type (Note: pressing enter after each one and wait for
    the success message):

    "stroker46" <stroker46@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have same /exact problem! From the command line? what is that? Please
    > expand! Thanks in advance!
    >
    > "Doug" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks very much for your reply. Went through the steps,
    >> but was unsuccessful. Finally found this & it worked:
    >>
    >> From the command line, ran:
    >>
    >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
    >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
    >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
    >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
    >> REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll
    >>
    >> Got it off broadbandreports.com
    >>
    >> Doug

    Mohan, Thank you so much for this info. I have been looking for 2 days for a
    solution to this problem. As soon as I checked the security settings I knew
    what the problem was. These settings get changed so easy. I just changed
    the user settings from a user profile to "All Users use the same settings"
    and all kinds problems occured. Lot of missing updates, etc. Again, thank
    you so much.
    "Mohan" wrote:

    > Hi Doug,
    > Check this link, go through the entire artickle
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813444
    > If you need more help pl mail back to v-2mnair@mssupport.microsoft.com.
    > Good luck!
    >

    > This
    > "Doug" wrote:
    >
    > > I did a system restore on an HP Pavilion a265c and now I
    > > can't get Windows update to work. I can call up the web
    > > site & get the following, but nothing ever comes up. The
    > > computer does not "freeze". The page just never does
    > > anything:
    > >
    > > Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update
    > > software...
    > >
    > > Depending on your connection speed, this might take a
    > > minute. During this time, you may receive one or more
    > > security warnings. Review each security warning to ensure
    > > that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click
    > > Install or Yes to install the software.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions would be appreciated. Update worked fine
    > > before the restore. Thanks. Doug

Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP