Backwards Compatibility

linux_0

Splendid
Yes absolutely as stated above.

In fact most cards do not even take advantage of AGP 8x so your AGP 4x should work fine and relatively quite fast to boot.

Good Luck! :D

secondsamuel12

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I have a number of options for upgrades, but NVIDIA seems to give the best bang for the buck with their 6600 GT, and 6800 Models. What are the comparable ATI models for the 6600 GT and 6800?

cleeve

Illustrious
Man, it appears ATI's cards just plain cost more. It's stupid!

What are you bitching about? What exactly costs more than what?

Nvidia's AGP 7800 GS is so overpriced it's not even a viable option. The AGP 6800 GS is priced OK, but you'll find the comparable X800 GTO the same price or cheaper. Both are 12-pipe, 256-bit cards.

So what're you guffing about?

pauldh

Illustrious
My only beef with ATI AGP is that the X800XT and X850XT are not found near the prices they have been for the past months. ATI Owned high end AGP, and if pricing availability of X850XT had remained as beofore, they'ed still own it now; 7800GS would mean little until prices dropped to equal X850XT. As it stands now, the top AGP cards from either company aren't worth the $300+ they are asking now. The $200 X800 pro, X800GTO, and 6800GS are much better buys (as you know).

pauldh

Illustrious
Man, it appears ATI's cards just plain cost more. It's stupid!
No, it's just getting harder to find the same great prices on higher end ATI AGP, and now in the past week 6800GS pricing deals are found. A few weeks back, AGP belonged to ATI once you went above a 6600GT pricing.

IMO, below are the two best AGP deals to buy now(that I am aware of) if you can afford this much. If anyone knows of better prices, please post them. :) Or X800XL, X800XT, X850 pro, X850XT, 6800GT AGP deals too.

My feeling is the X800 pro is slightly ahead of the 6800GS in performance, but that totally depends on the game. In Doom 3 for instance, the 6800GS would easily win. But reviews of the 6800GS agp's are not out there, so I go by the Asus V999 GE which has the same specs as the refernce AGP 6800GS. The X800 pro more often than not beat out that card in lots of reviews.

I'm having a tough time choosing, and actually probably have to make this choice today or tomorrow for a customers upgrade. The fact that it's BFG and Zipzoomfly, make me lean toward the 6800GS. I don't want hassles and zipzooms always been great. But if they were both from zipzoom, then I'd probably go with the X800 pro. It's very close anyways; and priced the same. You choose what's best for you. I don't think there is a wrong choice either way.

$200 BBA X800 pro: http://www.compuplus.com/i-ATI-Radeon-X800-PRO-AGP-256MB-DDR-Video-Card-Retail-Box-w-TV-out-DVI-support-100435200-1002777~refer-pricegrabber.com.html

$200 BFG 6800GS: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=326031

cleeve

Illustrious
I do own some ATI devices but they are nothing to brag about... I have a machine with ATI Rage XL graphics.

Heheh well that's not a bragworthy chipset for sure, but then very few things in the computer world that were released 10 years ago are...

pauldh

Illustrious
the ati x700 model compare with the 6600 fairly close and the 6800 is between the x800 and x850

In My Opinion: it's this order with each group being better than the one above it:
X700 >= GF6600
X800GT=GF6600GT >= X700 pro
X800 pro >= X800GTO = 6800GS (AGP)
X800XL = 6800GT >= X850 pro
X850XTpe > 7800GS = X850XT > GF6800U >= X800XT

pauldh

Illustrious
Hey, if NV & Linux are working well for you; stick too it. No arguements on that. But For making recommendations for those gaming in Win XP, they need to shop both companies to grab the best card for their budget. You simply can't get the best in every price range or for every game from either comapany.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Back to the question, I forget the details but don't you need to make sure your board supports AGP 2.0 and there was something about the voltage of the slot as well.

Anybody remember the details???

And who cares which is better, ATI/Nvidia. I've run both and they've worked great. Can't remember the last card I bought that sucked from either one. I went from an ATI 9600 to my current 6600GT (AGP BTW). Both cards worked/work great for me. The 6600GT just happened to be the best mid-range card AT THE TIME. It changes back and forth. I remember when some of the old FX5000 series of cards were getting owned by ATI. It changes constantly. Go with whoever has the best product for your budget/needs. In linux's case he's right, NV cards do generally work better with Linux. Their drivers are more optimized for Open GL, something Linux natively supports as opposed to DX due to licensing issues.

But Pauldh also has a good point. Generally in Windows, yes ATI favors DX while again NV favors Open GL. However, the differences usually aren't that big enough to make the games completely miserable to play from either standpoint.

"Of course that's just my opinion...I could be wrong."

TRENDING THREADS