Sign in with
Your question

P4 2.8 c running very hot (asus p4c800 e deluxe)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 6, 2006 12:39:24 PM

Hi, I think I am going to need the help of the people on this forum in order to solve my problem. I apologize in advance for any spelling and or grammatical errors (english is not my native language).

Now my problem. I have a p4 2.8 c with an asus p4c800-e dlx mobo. The cpu is running at stock fsb (it is not overclooked) and has a stock intel HSF. This system is around 2years old. When I first got it, I was not very experienced with computers in general and I used to think that my temps were ok. However, recently, I was running 3dmark2005 at stock FSB and I saw my temps reach 68 C for cpu and 38 ish for my mobo. Even when running Folding at home, my temps can reach 70 C. Idling they are 43 C cpu and 32 ish mobo. I did not notice this heat before because I was not monitoring the temps (I had no reasons to). I know the sensors are ok because when I start the system in the morning, temps are 30 C for cpu and 21 for mobo. So I ordered some arctic silver 5 and I am wondering wether it would be worth it to buy a watercooling kit (i was thinking of something along the lines of cooler master aquagate mini 120 (I want something easy to install)). Also keeping in mind I will want to start overclocking my cpu. For information purposes, my case has 5 fans 2 intakes and 3 exhausts and cable arrangement is pretty neat.

Please suggest/comment on possible solutions

here are my specs:

P4 2.8 c
Asus p4c800 e dlx
1gb Corsair twinx 4000-pt (running 2.5-3-3-8)
ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb
antec trupower 480 watts
Lian li 65 u case

ps: can cleaning the dust out of the HSF help me lower temperatures?

sorry for the long post
Thanks
Guigz
February 6, 2006 12:53:58 PM

Quote:
ps: can cleaning the dust out of the HSF help me lower temperatures?
YES!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Sorry, but dust is a major problem for computers. In fact, that would have been my first suggestion to you, to get a can of compressed dry air from any PC shop and blow all of the evil dust away. Then recheck your temps. They may be perfectly fine after you get rid of the dust. Dust not only insulates, preventing heatsinks from dispersing their heat into the air, but it also gums up fan bearings, often slowing down the fan and wearing on the bearings over time.

I'd suggest getting rid of the dust everywhere, but most especially in the heatsinks, fans, and power supply.

The dust may have worn down the fan bearings a bit though. So once you blow it out, you may want to consider oiling the fan bearings and/or replacing the fans if they get a bit noisy.
February 6, 2006 1:01:57 PM

Will do. Thanks
However, I recall my temps reaching around 65 ish when I got the cpu (under full load) so I suspect something else is not helping....

How do I collect the dust that will be blown off? with a vaccum?

Guigz

Edit : Is there a way to control the fan speeds ? I think my mobo only lets me control the HSF and then it is always running at 100% (2700 rpm) so I can only slow it down....

Edit: Maybe not the right forum to ask this but, other than the temps, I can get a stable OC at 240 FSB, do you think I can get farther with better coolinG?
Related resources
February 6, 2006 1:36:50 PM

yes, dust can and will be an issue. Water cooling is not necessary by any means on that processor. If anything, the arctic silver 5 will help bring temps down 5-7 degrees as long as it is applied correctly. I use a zalman cooler on my P4 prescott which is overclocked (read my system specs) and idle temps are 30-32 degrees celcius and under load, it can go as high as 47 degrees celcius.

Just grab some cans of compressed air from a local computer retailer. Use of a vacuum is not recommended unless it is specifically made for computer use.

Clean out the case especially around all fans and the processor. If temps are still a concern for you, grab yourself a better air cooler and use that arctic silver. Intels are definately known in some cases for using inefficient coolers.

Better cooling = better overclocking

You can grab a fan controller that mounts either in an empty pci slot on the back of the case or one that mounts on the front of the case. Check newegg.com, tigerdirect.com etc. for some fan controllers to adjust your speeds.
February 6, 2006 1:47:37 PM

Great and thanks. However, since noise is also a factor and since the aquagate mini 120 is *only* 100$ compared to 40 ish for a better aircooler, I think it should be an interesting choice. Plus, I plan on upgrading to socket 939 or 940 further down and the aquagate is compatible with those....

Bw: the vaccuum I use is a dust buster, it is not powerfull but grabs the particles of dust from the air....
February 6, 2006 2:03:42 PM

heh, yeah I have an old dust buster I use to chase my cats around the house with. They freak out every time they hear it
February 6, 2006 2:18:56 PM

Yeah like L said, you need to clean your pc every 3 months so you don't accumulate any dust. Make sure your Pc has good ventilation and not in tight space. The Artic Silver thermal paste should help.

Your planning to do some overclocking. Well, if you do then get a good hsf for the pentium 4. Keep in mind that there are HSF out there that is compatible with both Pentium 4 and Socket 939 and get that one. When the time comes for you to purchase a socket 939 motherboard, then u can still use the same HSF.

P.S. Luminaris, one day those cats are gonna piss on your pc.

:twisted:
February 6, 2006 2:31:30 PM

I know, but that's ok, if it shorts out the PC, gives me a reason to build another one :D 
February 6, 2006 5:02:16 PM

Update: I went to the electronic store and bought some duster in a can. All I can say is wow! Well geez :oops:  ... I am ashamed to say that it was dust in a MAJOR way... here are my temps now...
idling: 24 mobo 28 cpu
full load (prime 95): 30 mobo 48 cpu!!!
Compared to 30/38 idling and 36/71 full load!
Well thanks guys!
Any reason you suggest using air instead of water cooling (besides the price)?

Guigz
February 6, 2006 5:21:12 PM

In my case, air coolers are more convenient. Using liquids near electrical parts coupled with more parts in general does not appeal to me. Besides, Air coolers have come a long way and the technology is superior. Now if they can just get the size down a little more. My cooler can probably keep a caterpiller diesel engine cool!

Glad to see that fixed your problem man and don't be embarrased at all about the dust thing.
February 6, 2006 5:24:56 PM

Congrats. Dust will do that. But now you know, and knowing is half the battle. :D 

As for water cooling, meh. Unless you're seriously overclocking, I'd just stick to a good air cooler. It's cheaper and pretty efficient.

Heck, as my sig states, I had my P4 NWC 2.6GHz cooled with a passive heatsink. My temps would only get up to about 47 under load. (And that was with two instances of Folding@home running thanks to HT.) So water cooling would be way overkill I think.

But, if you want to, no one is stopping you. It's at least a learning experience. :) 
February 6, 2006 6:00:04 PM

I just couldn't resist noting how cool it ran once the dust was blown out. Do I see any AMD fanboys screaming about how hot Intel's run? :p  :lol: 
February 6, 2006 6:23:07 PM

Quote:
I just couldn't resist noting how cool it ran once the dust was blown out. Do I see any AMD fanboys screaming about how hot Intel's run? :p  :lol: 
:lol:  That is the power of the Northwood C. Heck, my 2.6GHz NWC used to run 35-37C with the stock cooler. Going totally passive only raised the load temp by 10C. It was well worth the investment. Intel just made some dumb mistakes when they first put Scotty out there. But even Scotty is getting cooler now. I still wouldn't buy a Scotty personally, but at least they're getting there. Sooner or later the AMD fanboys aren't going to have the heat argument to throw out there anymore. It should be interesting to see how long they still try to use it. :D 

Imagine a world where Intel and AMD are equal.

**gasp**

No. It just can never happen. The world would cease to exist. :lol: 
February 6, 2006 8:41:36 PM

Quote:
Will do. Thanks
However, I recall my temps reaching around 65 ish when I got the cpu (under full load) so I suspect something else is not helping....

How do I collect the dust that will be blown off? with a vaccum?

Guigz

Edit : Is there a way to control the fan speeds ? I think my mobo only lets me control the HSF and then it is always running at 100% (2700 rpm) so I can only slow it down....

Edit: Maybe not the right forum to ask this but, other than the temps, I can get a stable OC at 240 FSB, do you think I can get farther with better coolinG?

To remove dust, ask Mayep-necro.. he knows how now I'm sure...
February 6, 2006 10:21:48 PM

Northwood C's are nice cool running chips. I personally wouldnt bother with watercooling them. My 3.2C Northwood's running happily on air cooling at 3.5Ghz with a load temperature of around 46 degrees, using a quiet Zalman heatsink/fan.

Could probably get alot more out of it, but I like a cool and quiet running system. First time I installed the CPU I had just switched out a 2.6C which was running at 3.25Ghz (250mhz fsb), and the system actually booted all the way into windows with the CPU at 4GHZ, I only realised my 'mistake' when the system crashed... well I was still running stock VCORE on the system. (Turns out I have a 30 capper D1 stepping, not as good as an M0, but still a good chip)
February 7, 2006 9:30:06 AM

Your CPU was definitely running hot! I have the same CPU but have a dirty great big CPU heatsink. I've got a Coolermaster Hyper 6 which is a huge copper heatsink which weighs about a kilo. Last winter when it was just above zero degrees it was idling along at 14 degrees C. Nowadays it idles around 33 but summers aren't that cool in Australia.

In my opinion all of the AMD fanboys need only to have a look at how well the Northwood cored P4's ran to show them that P4's haven't always been hot. It should also be pointed out that when amd brought out their 3200+ Socket A it was no faster than the 2.8C. Now I find that a bit funny :lol: 
!