Brain teaser

You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic displaying
just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?

KDFW
34 answers Last reply
More about brain teaser

    You're "flying" too low, and following too close. (And the guy in
    front of you is riding his brakes!) [:0)

    Propwash

    "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message news:<_vI8e.7941$yq6.5029@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
    > You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic displaying
    > just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?

    Either you're seeing something that is not of this world.....or you're
    flying behind a helicopter.

    Marcel

    That should read:
    Under what two circumstance would this be possible?

    Dallas

    Dallas wrote:

    > You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic displaying
    > just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?
    >

    > KDFW

    It's easy, the first red is the left nav light showing on the right side
    of the aircraft because it's inverted and the second red is the Master
    Caution on the dash because the door is open and the pilot bailed, --
    and also, you are too damn close. :)

    --

    boB

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    > You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic
    > displaying
    > just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?
    >

    > KDFW

    Dallas,
    The only thing that comes to mind is that if you are approaching another
    aircraft who is moving from your right to your left, whos heading will cause
    it to pass to your left. You may be seeing the left wing red position light,
    and the verticle tail red rotating beacon, with the right wing green
    position light being covered by the fuselage? Just a guess....

    Randy L.

    Dallas wrote:
    > You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic
    > displaying just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be
    > possible?

    Twin brothels on a high?

    --
    Cheers,

    Quilly

    "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

    >You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic displaying
    >just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?
    >

    >KDFW

    When your'e about to fly into 2 1000' broadcast/antenna towers!!
    -=tom=-

    "Dallas" wrote:

    > You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic
    > displaying
    > just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?

    This one is easy, you are close behind this vehicle:
    http://www.jims-pages.com/foison/images/flyingcar.jpg

    "Jan Berg" wrote:

    > "Dallas" wrote:
    >
    >> You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic
    >> displaying
    >> just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?

    Another possible answer:

    You are very very close behind an aircraft, you are blind on one eye
    and drunk 5 beers. ;-)

    Jan

    Dallas wrote:

    > A) Traffic is perpendicular to your flight path crossing right to
    left.
    > B) Traffic is perpendicular to your flight path crossing left to
    right
    > inverted.

    C) Traffic is not inverted and perpendicular to your flight path
    crossing *left to right.*

    .... you are inverted. ;)

    --
    Peter

    You are at a position approximately left forward quarter of the other
    aircraft and you
    are seeing the Port red wing tip light and the bottom or top fuselage red
    beacon.
    If you were in the left rear quarter of the other aircraft's position you
    would also
    see that aircraft's white tail light, so you have to be in the forward
    quarter, and
    approximately same altitude.
    Campbell

    On 18-Apr-2005, "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

    > You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic
    > displaying
    > just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?

    Your altimeter is broken, and you are actually just 3 feet above the local
    interstate highway..

    Best guess from me. ;o)

    Regards
    Mikael K

    --
    Vatsim-callsign: OY-MKO
    Home Airport: EKBI

    Sorry.. no direct reply-email.. ;o)

    "Mikael K"
    > Your altimeter is broken, and you are actually just 3 feet above the local
    > interstate highway..

    LOL.... great answers

    Directly in front of you is traffic displaying just 2 red lights. Under
    what two circumstance would this be possible?

    A) Traffic is perpendicular to your flight path crossing left to right.
    B) Traffic is perpendicular to your flight path crossing right to left
    inverted.

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Dallas/2reds.jpg

    Derr.. yeah, I know, it should read:

    A) Traffic is perpendicular to your flight path crossing right to left.
    B) Traffic is perpendicular to your flight path crossing left to right
    inverted.

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Dallas/2reds.jpg

    > You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic
    > displaying
    > just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?
    >

    > KDFW

    Keep off the turps, my friend.
    Just one red nav beacon and you've got double vision!

    Cheers,
    John

    "pr"
    > ... you are inverted. ;)

    There ya go again, thinking outside the box.

    Glad you didn't say "perverted".

    Dallas

    Dallas wrote:
    > "pr"
    >> ... you are inverted. ;)
    >
    > There ya go again, thinking outside the box.
    >

    > Glad you didn't say "perverted".

    That goes without saying.......... d:->))
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > Derr.. yeah, I know, it should read:
    >
    > A) Traffic is perpendicular to your flight path crossing right to left.
    > B) Traffic is perpendicular to your flight path crossing left to right
    > inverted.
    >
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Dallas/2reds.jpg

    Yeah, yeah ... happens every day :)

    Cheers,
    John
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic
    displaying
    > just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?

    Something nobody else seems to have mentioned --

    Some aircraft, like the F-111, have TWO red lights on the left side and
    TWO green lights on the right side -- one on teh wingtip and one on the
    fusalage just ahead of the wing...I think I got the sides right, I no longer
    fly :-(

    Earl

    --
    Earl Needham
    Clovis, New Mexico USA

    "Earl Needham"
    > Some aircraft, like the F-111, have TWO red lights on the left side
    and
    > TWO green lights on the right side -- one on teh wingtip and one on the
    > fusalage just ahead of the wing

    I'll bet that's because its a variable sweep wing aircraft?

    Dallas
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > "Earl Needham"
    > > Some aircraft, like the F-111, have TWO red lights on the left side
    > and
    > > TWO green lights on the right side -- one on teh wingtip and one on the
    > > fusalage just ahead of the wing
    >
    > I'll bet that's because its a variable sweep wing aircraft?

    On the F-111 it was. That wing tip moved quite a ways when it was swept
    back!

    --
    Earl Needham
    Clovis, New Mexico USA

    Hi Varmit,

    Piece of cake, mate - you overlooked a couple of those shiny red
    dangling balls when you removed all your other Christmas decorations from
    the cockpit, and it's taken you this long to notice!

    Typically American mistake - you're so enthusiastic about life that you
    move on to the next thing before you've paid sufficient attention to detail
    re the previous thing......

    Maybe a Spreadsheet would help explain my point, but they always give me
    a headache.........

    It's the Anzac Day long weekend here in Aus', and we've already kicked
    the Kiwis butts in the Commemorative rugby league Test match (yawn - what's
    new....), but I'm enjoying having the time to watch the TV footage of the
    Gallipoli campaign...........

    Regards,
    John Ward

    p.s. I hope this is a descent enough first post, now that I can start
    enjoying the n/g again!! :-))

    > You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic
    > displaying
    > just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?
    >

    > KDFW

  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "John Ward"
    > It's the Anzac Day long weekend here in Aus'

    What is the Anzac? Is that like in America where we kill off the
    indigenous people and then celebrate their heritage? :-)

    Varmit
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "John Ward"
    > Hi Varmit,

    According to my World Time Zones program, it's 3:10am over there in
    Ozzieland... are you up that late celebrating?

    Dallas
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Hi Varmit,

    Well, since you're not sleeping, I'll expand a fraction - ANZAC means
    Australia New Zealand ....., coined when troops were sent OS during the
    first World War, to places such as Gallipoli...

    Regards,
    John Ward

    > "John Ward"
    >> It's the Anzac Day long weekend here in Aus'
    >
    > What is the Anzac? Is that like in America where we kill off the
    > indigenous people and then celebrate their heritage? :-)
    >

    > Varmit

  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Hi Varmit,

    Nah - I'm up early, getting ready to celebrate again, after my 21/2 hour
    stroll along the riverbank in to the Botanical Gardens....apart from other
    things, that way I get to see the dawn, and weather, and occasionally
    reflect on how it would have felt to be a Spitfire pilot taking off in those
    circumstances....

    Of course, we also don't get the same weather here in Queensland....
    :-)))

    I must get the link to that program again, and remember what the "catch"
    was, that caught a few people....

    Regards,
    John Ward

    > "John Ward"
    >> Hi Varmit,
    >

    > According to my World Time Zones program, it's 3:10am over there in
    > Ozzieland... are you up that late celebrating?
    >
    > Dallas

  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Hi Dally..Under British directive the Australian New Zealand Army Corps
    landed at Gallipolli 90 years ago to try and capture 'The Narrows" to allow
    the battleships to enter Turkey It was all botched up by the decision
    makers.. landed in the wrong area and were victims of an easy prey shooting
    gallery. The whole sea was red 50 meters out. Many thousands died on the
    beaches clambering up the steep cliffs. Suicidal assault waves were ordered
    and after everyone had died the next wave was set off. The Turks lost
    thousands too.
    Along with thousands of others attending I have a brother at Anzac Cove,
    Turkey today amongst the war graves.

    Butts

    "John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi Varmit,
    >
    > Nah - I'm up early, getting ready to celebrate again, after my 21/2
    > hour stroll along the riverbank in to the Botanical Gardens....apart from
    > other things, that way I get to see the dawn, and weather, and
    > occasionally reflect on how it would have felt to be a Spitfire pilot
    > taking off in those circumstances....
    >
    > Of course, we also don't get the same weather here in Queensland....
    > :-)))
    >
    > I must get the link to that program again, and remember what the
    > "catch" was, that caught a few people....
    >
    > Regards,
    > John Ward
    > "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "John Ward"
    >>> Hi Varmit,
    >>

    >> According to my World Time Zones program, it's 3:10am over there in
    >> Ozzieland... are you up that late celebrating?
    >>
    >> Dallas

  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "donbutts"
    > Hi Dally..Under British directive the Australian New Zealand Army Corps
    > landed at Gallipolli 90 years ago to try and capture 'The Narrows"

    That's pretty much why the American military never serves under the command
    of another nation. They tend to think of you as the "expendable ones"...

    Dallas
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    oh yeah missed out the true spirit and this is gospel; mentioned in
    documentaries ... after those assaults and the fields were covered in
    bodies, the sun went down and in the darkness a lone Australian voice broke
    the eery silence... "play ya again next Saturday'
    Is that not another typical Jaydub???
    Butts
    "donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Dally..Under British directive the Australian New Zealand Army Corps
    > landed at Gallipolli 90 years ago to try and capture 'The Narrows" to
    > allow the battleships to enter Turkey It was all botched up by the
    > decision makers.. landed in the wrong area and were victims of an easy
    > prey shooting gallery. The whole sea was red 50 meters out. Many
    > thousands died on the beaches clambering up the steep cliffs. Suicidal
    > assault waves were ordered and after everyone had died the next wave was
    > set off. The Turks lost thousands too.
    > Along with thousands of others attending I have a brother at Anzac Cove,
    > Turkey today amongst the war graves.
    >
    > Butts
    >
    > "John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Hi Varmit,
    >>
    >> Nah - I'm up early, getting ready to celebrate again, after my 21/2
    >> hour stroll along the riverbank in to the Botanical Gardens....apart from
    >> other things, that way I get to see the dawn, and weather, and
    >> occasionally reflect on how it would have felt to be a Spitfire pilot
    >> taking off in those circumstances....
    >>
    >> Of course, we also don't get the same weather here in Queensland....
    >> :-)))
    >>
    >> I must get the link to that program again, and remember what the
    >> "catch" was, that caught a few people....
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> John Ward
    >> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "John Ward"
    >>>

    >>> According to my World Time Zones program, it's 3:10am over there in
    >>> Ozzieland... are you up that late celebrating?
    >>>
    >>> Dallas

  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > "donbutts"
    >> Hi Dally..Under British directive the Australian New Zealand Army Corps
    >> landed at Gallipolli 90 years ago to try and capture 'The Narrows"
    >
    > That's pretty much why the American military never serves under the
    > command
    > of another nation. They tend to think of you as the "expendable ones"...
    >

    > Dallas

    hmmmm we lost quite a few in Vietnam at your guys request :-\ however we
    tend to get the trade squeeze if we don't jump to the call. However, we did
    stop US nuclear powered ships from entering here for enviromental reasons
    and its been a pretty icy relationship ever since whereas Aussie never put a
    foot wrong and get red carpet treatment. Prime Miinisters Howard and Blair
    sit on the right and left hand of the encumbent President of the day.
    Butts
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "donbutts"
    > Prime Miinisters Howard and Blair
    > sit on the right and left hand of the encumbent President of the day.

    When did it become such a bad thing to be Allies with us?

    We're not such a bad friend to have... If you need help militarily we'll be
    there. It saves you guys lots of money. Historically, we've left quite a
    few of ours on foreign shores in fights that were not entirely ours.

    Who's going to bother you?

    Your northern friend China is developing a blue water navy. I wonder why
    they are doing that?

    Dallas
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    hey Dallas don't get it wrong we are great long standing allies with the US
    but dont necessary go along with US overall control whereas those two
    others I mentioned accept it for their own advantage. I guess we like to
    think we can think and act for ourselves.
    Butts

    > "donbutts"
    >> Prime Miinisters Howard and Blair
    >> sit on the right and left hand of the encumbent President of the day.
    >
    > When did it become such a bad thing to be Allies with us?
    >
    > We're not such a bad friend to have... If you need help militarily we'll
    > be
    > there. It saves you guys lots of money. Historically, we've left quite a
    > few of ours on foreign shores in fights that were not entirely ours.
    >
    > Who's going to bother you?
    >
    > Your northern friend China is developing a blue water navy. I wonder why
    > they are doing that?
    >

    > Dallas

  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "donbutts"
    > I guess we like to
    > think we can think and act for ourselves.

    Everybody does... :-)

    Dallas
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > "donbutts"
    >> I guess we like to
    >> think we can think and act for ourselves.
    >
    > Everybody does... :-)
    >

    > Dallas

    too true :-)
    but have to admit being the first to declare a nuclear free zone back in the
    70's and more recently saying, "sorry Sam not this time", over the weapons
    of mass destruction issue got us in the sht a bit and we got the trade
    squeeze as a result. (we did send a clean up team over but...) Maybe also,
    despite Nasa and Boeing helping out your guys with hull design we came over
    and pinched the Americas Sailing Cup with an underfunded back yard
    job......that's a bit on the nose too :-) (then a big rich country purchased
    our team and designers and came back and beat us easily using our own
    guys!!) :-\
    And here's us still insisting we beat the Wright Bros to powered flight
    The cheek of it all.

    Butts

Light Games Microsoft Video Games