Brain teaser

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 18, 2005 10:32:26 AM

You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic displaying
just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?

KDFW

More about : brain teaser

April 18, 2005 10:32:27 AM

You're "flying" too low, and following too close. (And the guy in
front of you is riding his brakes!) [:0)

Propwash
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 10:32:27 AM

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message news:<_vI8e.7941$yq6.5029@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic displaying
> just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?

Either you're seeing something that is not of this world.....or you're
flying behind a helicopter.

Marcel
Related resources
April 18, 2005 10:41:16 AM

That should read:
Under what two circumstance would this be possible?

Dallas
April 18, 2005 10:44:44 AM

Dallas wrote:

> You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic displaying
> just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?
>

> KDFW

It's easy, the first red is the left nav light showing on the right side
of the aircraft because it's inverted and the second red is the Master
Caution on the dash because the door is open and the pilot bailed, --
and also, you are too damn close. :)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
April 18, 2005 12:00:17 PM

> You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic
> displaying
> just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?
>

> KDFW

Dallas,
The only thing that comes to mind is that if you are approaching another
aircraft who is moving from your right to your left, whos heading will cause
it to pass to your left. You may be seeing the left wing red position light,
and the verticle tail red rotating beacon, with the right wing green
position light being covered by the fuselage? Just a guess....

Randy L.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 1:25:41 PM

Dallas wrote:
> You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic
> displaying just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be
> possible?

Twin brothels on a high?

--
Cheers,

Quilly
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 3:11:30 PM

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

>You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic displaying
>just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?
>

>KDFW

When your'e about to fly into 2 1000' broadcast/antenna towers!!
-=tom=-
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 4:39:01 PM

"Dallas" wrote:

> You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic
> displaying
> just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?

This one is easy, you are close behind this vehicle:
http://www.jims-pages.com/foison/images/flyingcar.jpg
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 5:08:22 PM

"Jan Berg" wrote:

> "Dallas" wrote:
>
>> You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic
>> displaying
>> just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?

Another possible answer:

You are very very close behind an aircraft, you are blind on one eye
and drunk 5 beers. ;-)

Jan
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 7:25:00 PM

Dallas wrote:

> A) Traffic is perpendicular to your flight path crossing right to
left.
> B) Traffic is perpendicular to your flight path crossing left to
right
> inverted.

C) Traffic is not inverted and perpendicular to your flight path
crossing *left to right.*

.... you are inverted. ;)

--
Peter
April 18, 2005 8:02:35 PM

You are at a position approximately left forward quarter of the other
aircraft and you
are seeing the Port red wing tip light and the bottom or top fuselage red
beacon.
If you were in the left rear quarter of the other aircraft's position you
would also
see that aircraft's white tail light, so you have to be in the forward
quarter, and
approximately same altitude.
Campbell
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 10:30:47 PM

On 18-Apr-2005, "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

> You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic
> displaying
> just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?

Your altimeter is broken, and you are actually just 3 feet above the local
interstate highway..

Best guess from me. ;o)

Regards
Mikael K

--
Vatsim-callsign: OY-MKO
Home Airport: EKBI

Sorry.. no direct reply-email.. ;o)
April 18, 2005 11:34:47 PM

"Mikael K"
> Your altimeter is broken, and you are actually just 3 feet above the local
> interstate highway..

LOL.... great answers

Directly in front of you is traffic displaying just 2 red lights. Under
what two circumstance would this be possible?

A) Traffic is perpendicular to your flight path crossing left to right.
B) Traffic is perpendicular to your flight path crossing right to left
inverted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Dallas/...
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 1:19:19 AM

> You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic
> displaying
> just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?
>

> KDFW

Keep off the turps, my friend.
Just one red nav beacon and you've got double vision!

Cheers,
John
April 19, 2005 2:53:41 AM

"pr"
> ... you are inverted. ;)

There ya go again, thinking outside the box.

Glad you didn't say "perverted".

Dallas
April 19, 2005 2:53:42 AM

Dallas wrote:
> "pr"
>> ... you are inverted. ;)
>
> There ya go again, thinking outside the box.
>

> Glad you didn't say "perverted".

That goes without saying.......... d:->))
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:26:27 AM

> Derr.. yeah, I know, it should read:
>
> A) Traffic is perpendicular to your flight path crossing right to left.
> B) Traffic is perpendicular to your flight path crossing left to right
> inverted.
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Dallas/...

Yeah, yeah ... happens every day :)

Cheers,
John
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 1:15:09 PM

> You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic
displaying
> just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?

Something nobody else seems to have mentioned --

Some aircraft, like the F-111, have TWO red lights on the left side and
TWO green lights on the right side -- one on teh wingtip and one on the
fusalage just ahead of the wing...I think I got the sides right, I no longer
fly :-(

Earl

--
Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico USA

"Earl Needham"
> Some aircraft, like the F-111, have TWO red lights on the left side
and
> TWO green lights on the right side -- one on teh wingtip and one on the
> fusalage just ahead of the wing

I'll bet that's because its a variable sweep wing aircraft?

Dallas
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:30:25 PM

news:D Tc9e.9041$An2.2216@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> "Earl Needham"
> > Some aircraft, like the F-111, have TWO red lights on the left side
> and
> > TWO green lights on the right side -- one on teh wingtip and one on the
> > fusalage just ahead of the wing
>
> I'll bet that's because its a variable sweep wing aircraft?

On the F-111 it was. That wing tip moved quite a ways when it was swept
back!

--
Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico USA

Hi Varmit,

Piece of cake, mate - you overlooked a couple of those shiny red
dangling balls when you removed all your other Christmas decorations from
the cockpit, and it's taken you this long to notice!

Typically American mistake - you're so enthusiastic about life that you
move on to the next thing before you've paid sufficient attention to detail
re the previous thing......

Maybe a Spreadsheet would help explain my point, but they always give me
a headache.........

It's the Anzac Day long weekend here in Aus', and we've already kicked
the Kiwis butts in the Commemorative rugby league Test match (yawn - what's
new....), but I'm enjoying having the time to watch the TV footage of the
Gallipoli campaign...........

Regards,
John Ward

p.s. I hope this is a descent enough first post, now that I can start
enjoying the n/g again!! :-))

> You are VFR flying at night. Directly in front of you is traffic
> displaying
> just 2 red lights. Under what circumstance would this be possible?
>

> KDFW

April 24, 2005 7:10:49 AM

"John Ward"
> It's the Anzac Day long weekend here in Aus'

What is the Anzac? Is that like in America where we kill off the
indigenous people and then celebrate their heritage? :-)

Varmit
April 24, 2005 7:10:49 AM

"John Ward"
> Hi Varmit,

According to my World Time Zones program, it's 3:10am over there in
Ozzieland... are you up that late celebrating?

Dallas
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 8:07:14 AM

Hi Varmit,

Well, since you're not sleeping, I'll expand a fraction - ANZAC means
Australia New Zealand ....., coined when troops were sent OS during the
first World War, to places such as Gallipoli...

Regards,
John Ward

> "John Ward"
>> It's the Anzac Day long weekend here in Aus'
>
> What is the Anzac? Is that like in America where we kill off the
> indigenous people and then celebrate their heritage? :-)
>

> Varmit

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 8:17:21 AM

Hi Varmit,

Nah - I'm up early, getting ready to celebrate again, after my 21/2 hour
stroll along the riverbank in to the Botanical Gardens....apart from other
things, that way I get to see the dawn, and weather, and occasionally
reflect on how it would have felt to be a Spitfire pilot taking off in those
circumstances....

Of course, we also don't get the same weather here in Queensland....
:-)))

I must get the link to that program again, and remember what the "catch"
was, that caught a few people....

Regards,
John Ward

> "John Ward"
>> Hi Varmit,
>

> According to my World Time Zones program, it's 3:10am over there in
> Ozzieland... are you up that late celebrating?
>
> Dallas

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:49:47 PM

Hi Dally..Under British directive the Australian New Zealand Army Corps
landed at Gallipolli 90 years ago to try and capture 'The Narrows" to allow
the battleships to enter Turkey It was all botched up by the decision
makers.. landed in the wrong area and were victims of an easy prey shooting
gallery. The whole sea was red 50 meters out. Many thousands died on the
beaches clambering up the steep cliffs. Suicidal assault waves were ordered
and after everyone had died the next wave was set off. The Turks lost
thousands too.
Along with thousands of others attending I have a brother at Anzac Cove,
Turkey today amongst the war graves.

Butts

"John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi Varmit,
>
> Nah - I'm up early, getting ready to celebrate again, after my 21/2
> hour stroll along the riverbank in to the Botanical Gardens....apart from
> other things, that way I get to see the dawn, and weather, and
> occasionally reflect on how it would have felt to be a Spitfire pilot
> taking off in those circumstances....
>
> Of course, we also don't get the same weather here in Queensland....
> :-)))
>
> I must get the link to that program again, and remember what the
> "catch" was, that caught a few people....
>
> Regards,
> John Ward
> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>
>> "John Ward"
>>> Hi Varmit,
>>

>> According to my World Time Zones program, it's 3:10am over there in
>> Ozzieland... are you up that late celebrating?
>>
>> Dallas

April 25, 2005 2:49:48 PM

"donbutts"
> Hi Dally..Under British directive the Australian New Zealand Army Corps
> landed at Gallipolli 90 years ago to try and capture 'The Narrows"

That's pretty much why the American military never serves under the command
of another nation. They tend to think of you as the "expendable ones"...

Dallas
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:56:24 PM

oh yeah missed out the true spirit and this is gospel; mentioned in
documentaries ... after those assaults and the fields were covered in
bodies, the sun went down and in the darkness a lone Australian voice broke
the eery silence... "play ya again next Saturday'
Is that not another typical Jaydub???
Butts
"donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Dally..Under British directive the Australian New Zealand Army Corps
> landed at Gallipolli 90 years ago to try and capture 'The Narrows" to
> allow the battleships to enter Turkey It was all botched up by the
> decision makers.. landed in the wrong area and were victims of an easy
> prey shooting gallery. The whole sea was red 50 meters out. Many
> thousands died on the beaches clambering up the steep cliffs. Suicidal
> assault waves were ordered and after everyone had died the next wave was
> set off. The Turks lost thousands too.
> Along with thousands of others attending I have a brother at Anzac Cove,
> Turkey today amongst the war graves.
>
> Butts
>
> "John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hi Varmit,
>>
>> Nah - I'm up early, getting ready to celebrate again, after my 21/2
>> hour stroll along the riverbank in to the Botanical Gardens....apart from
>> other things, that way I get to see the dawn, and weather, and
>> occasionally reflect on how it would have felt to be a Spitfire pilot
>> taking off in those circumstances....
>>
>> Of course, we also don't get the same weather here in Queensland....
>> :-)))
>>
>> I must get the link to that program again, and remember what the
>> "catch" was, that caught a few people....
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ward
>> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "John Ward"
>>>

>>> According to my World Time Zones program, it's 3:10am over there in
>>> Ozzieland... are you up that late celebrating?
>>>
>>> Dallas

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 9:13:40 PM

> "donbutts"
>> Hi Dally..Under British directive the Australian New Zealand Army Corps
>> landed at Gallipolli 90 years ago to try and capture 'The Narrows"
>
> That's pretty much why the American military never serves under the
> command
> of another nation. They tend to think of you as the "expendable ones"...
>

> Dallas

hmmmm we lost quite a few in Vietnam at your guys request :-\ however we
tend to get the trade squeeze if we don't jump to the call. However, we did
stop US nuclear powered ships from entering here for enviromental reasons
and its been a pretty icy relationship ever since whereas Aussie never put a
foot wrong and get red carpet treatment. Prime Miinisters Howard and Blair
sit on the right and left hand of the encumbent President of the day.
Butts
April 25, 2005 9:13:41 PM

"donbutts"
> Prime Miinisters Howard and Blair
> sit on the right and left hand of the encumbent President of the day.

When did it become such a bad thing to be Allies with us?

We're not such a bad friend to have... If you need help militarily we'll be
there. It saves you guys lots of money. Historically, we've left quite a
few of ours on foreign shores in fights that were not entirely ours.

Who's going to bother you?

Your northern friend China is developing a blue water navy. I wonder why
they are doing that?

Dallas
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 2:18:34 AM

hey Dallas don't get it wrong we are great long standing allies with the US
but dont necessary go along with US overall control whereas those two
others I mentioned accept it for their own advantage. I guess we like to
think we can think and act for ourselves.
Butts

> "donbutts"
>> Prime Miinisters Howard and Blair
>> sit on the right and left hand of the encumbent President of the day.
>
> When did it become such a bad thing to be Allies with us?
>
> We're not such a bad friend to have... If you need help militarily we'll
> be
> there. It saves you guys lots of money. Historically, we've left quite a
> few of ours on foreign shores in fights that were not entirely ours.
>
> Who's going to bother you?
>
> Your northern friend China is developing a blue water navy. I wonder why
> they are doing that?
>

> Dallas

April 26, 2005 2:18:35 AM

"donbutts"
> I guess we like to
> think we can think and act for ourselves.

Everybody does... :-)

Dallas
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:33:49 PM

> "donbutts"
>> I guess we like to
>> think we can think and act for ourselves.
>
> Everybody does... :-)
>

> Dallas

too true :-)
but have to admit being the first to declare a nuclear free zone back in the
70's and more recently saying, "sorry Sam not this time", over the weapons
of mass destruction issue got us in the sht a bit and we got the trade
squeeze as a result. (we did send a clean up team over but...) Maybe also,
despite Nasa and Boeing helping out your guys with hull design we came over
and pinched the Americas Sailing Cup with an underfunded back yard
job......that's a bit on the nose too :-) (then a big rich country purchased
our team and designers and came back and beat us easily using our own
guys!!) :-\
And here's us still insisting we beat the Wright Bros to powered flight
The cheek of it all.

Butts
!