VPN Across Continents?

I am in the US and will be moving to India soon. I plan to connect to my
office network using VPN from there. I have a 1.28 Mbps SDSL connection in
the office. I will have a cable internet connection in India. We have Win2K
server in the office.

Currently, my laptop at home (5 miles from my office in the US) has Win2K
and I am able to connect to my office network using VPN.

Q1. I guess, on the internet, actual physical distance does not matter in
terms of configuration - is that right? I should be able to vpn to my office
network from anywhere in the world as long as I have connectivity to the
internet - Is that right?

Q2. Anyone has ideas (experience) as to what connection speeds/delays I can
expect?

Thanks.

Mickee wrote:

> I am in the US and will be moving to India soon. I plan to connect to my
> office network using VPN from there. I have a 1.28 Mbps SDSL connection in
> the office. I will have a cable internet connection in India. We have Win2K
> server in the office.

Good enough...

> Currently, my laptop at home (5 miles from my office in the US) has Win2K
> and I am able to connect to my office network using VPN.

Good.

> Q1. I guess, on the internet, actual physical distance does not matter in
> terms of configuration - is that right? I should be able to vpn to my office
> network from anywhere in the world as long as I have connectivity to the
> internet - Is that right?

Not the length of the cables matter but the number of routers between
the two ends of your vpn connection.

The packet turn-around times (ping) will go up but that does not
influence sigificantly large data transfers. The longer turn-around
times will only be noticable in real time sessions (like telnet) or
online games...

--
Martin Bodenstedt

Landtag von Baden-Württemberg (www.landtag-bw.de)

Absolutely possible. We have offices in the US and India and do it
ourselves.

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:54:18 -0400, "Mickee" <Mickee2000@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I am in the US and will be moving to India soon. I plan to connect to my
>office network using VPN from there. I have a 1.28 Mbps SDSL connection in
>the office. I will have a cable internet connection in India. We have Win2K
>server in the office.
>
>Currently, my laptop at home (5 miles from my office in the US) has Win2K
>and I am able to connect to my office network using VPN.
>
>Q1. I guess, on the internet, actual physical distance does not matter in
>terms of configuration - is that right? I should be able to vpn to my office
>network from anywhere in the world as long as I have connectivity to the
>internet - Is that right?
>
>Q2. Anyone has ideas (experience) as to what connection speeds/delays I can
>expect?
>
>Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS