URgent help needed please!

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Sorry, didnt know which was the best board to post this, but i am really pissed off atm.

I just spent 1550 quid on a new computer. It just arrived about 30 mins ago. I turned it on, everything fine, loaded up windows MCE edition. However, i went to get my other mouse from upstairs, and when i came back it had frozen. I was like wtf, ok...i restarted my PC and now i get this error message

Disk boot failure, insert system disk..blabla. What could of happened? and what can i do?

thx

CallumN

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Without having it here i wouldnt know. Could be a thousand and one things, dead rail on the PSU, faulty hardware (anywhere in the rig).

TBH, i would format it, see if it works, then if not RMA it.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Hmmm, sounds like the BIOS cannot recognize the hard drive. Try shutting the unit completely off for a few seconds and try it again. OR...I'm not familiar with Windows MCE, but I have an issue similiar to this at work with some the crappy Dell units. A lot of time the Master Boot Record gets screwed up. I usually reboot into the Recovery Console and rewrite the MBR and it fixes it up.

If you do a search online, you might be able to find the process on how to perform the steps (if possible) with Windows MCE. The XP Recovery Console command is FIXMBR.

Or send it back for a new one.

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
i tried re installing windows but after trynig to format it, it said the harddrive was either damaged or a cable was lose??

CallumN

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Open it up if you can without voiding it. check the cables. If you can get inside it open it up and see what make & model the Hard Drive is. Try and install it again. if that doesnt work, find the makers webpage, eg seagate, wd, and find their hard drive error checker, that should show whats wrong with it, and will help your RMA along quicker.

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
some thing i just realised, i can see 2 neon lights in my system. Would these normally light up when you turn on your PC or would they need to be configured? they might indicate a power problem like a power cable which is loose.

Anyway, im just about to try this hard drive checker thing

thx