Sign in with
Your question

"Where do you want to install windows?"

Last response: in Windows 7
November 5, 2009 4:32:34 AM

I've been trying for a bit to install windows 7 on this computer I have just built.

It does not display any options when it gets to the "where do you want to install windows?" screen and then let's me choose drives, so i put in my motherboard disk to choose them, but it still will not let me move forward past this step.

Also, from when i start booting up to when I get to the "where do you want to install windows?" screen it takes a good 10 minutes to get there. The setup is starting screen stays up forever! What could be causing such a slow startup for the setup?

if ANYONE can help me I would be so appreciative. i just got my first computer built, and now this is stopping me :( 

More about : install windows

November 5, 2009 4:48:50 AM

i have a reinstallation cd for an old dell laptop. it has windows xp with service pack 1. i think i will try to load that on the computer i've just built... is that a bad idea?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 5, 2009 5:33:27 AM

Sounds to me like Windows cant find a HD to install to. Can you see the HD in BIOS? If using RAID or AHCI you need to enable that up in BIOS.
You using a SATA hard drive or drives? Try a different port and or a different cable.
Unplug any drives except what you want as C: while you install.
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2009 5:37:50 AM

Yes, I only have one hard drive, and I want to also add that when i tried putting in the old dell reinstallation disk with windows xp, my hard drive showed up right away with no problems.

but, in windows 7 it doesn't show up in the "where do you want to install windows?" screen. this is where the hard drive is supposed to show up, right?

should i have to be able to load drivers, or for most people, do they not have to load drivers and they can already choose where they want to load windows? or is this something that every one has to do?
m
l
November 5, 2009 10:56:57 AM

i just don't get it. i followed what the manual said and even put the drivers onto a USB drive like it said and when I go to open it in the windows 7 installation like it says it says that after the driver is loaded then it will show the drive but nothing is there :( 
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 5, 2009 6:11:37 PM

You should need no drivers for Windows 7. Have you tried the other things I posted earlier? Change SATA ports and try looking in BIOS to see what mode you are in ( IDE, AHCI, RAID ) you need one of the first 2.

I had this happen on my first try installing 7. I was trying to install to my then new WD Black 640s in RAID 0+1 same as I have now. One of the hard drives was almost but not quite dead AND I had a bad SATA cable ......It took me a week of frustration to figure it out. After RMA no problems at all.
m
l
November 5, 2009 6:24:21 PM

hmm. well, i only have one hard drive and am not doing raid. i have moved to a few different sata ports with no luck. the hard drive is brand new, so hopefully it's not dead already, but who knows. when i was trying earlier, i'm pretty sure the mode was set to IDE. I suppose I could try it again in AHCI mode?

right now i'm taking a little break from it all, but my next steps were going to be try another cable, and flash the bios, as someone in another thread had suggested I try that.

i sure hope it works!
m
l
November 5, 2009 6:27:15 PM

oh and also, when trying the windows xp installation it went through the 3 hour format for the hard drive and at the end it said there was an error. so then i tried the quick format and the same message came up.

don't know if that helps or not. i thought maybe that could add further evidence to lean toward the hard drive perhaps being bad. but i'm not sure, and have no way to really check it i guess since the only way would be to load it into another computer...?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2009 3:18:33 AM

JTBALLER said:
oh and also, when trying the windows xp installation it went through the 3 hour format for the hard drive and at the end it said there was an error. so then i tried the quick format and the same message came up.

don't know if that helps or not. i thought maybe that could add further evidence to lean toward the hard drive perhaps being bad. but i'm not sure, and have no way to really check it i guess since the only way would be to load it into another computer...?

Yep that makes it sound just like the HD is dead. It is rare but it does happen. If you can try it in another computer that would sure help.
The one I had that arrived DOA had just enough life in it to show up in BIOS. It also would let me create a RAID array but then would not show up while trying to install Windows 7. I would try another SATA cable just to be sure its not a bad cable though. Does the drive make any noise?

m
l
November 6, 2009 6:08:05 AM

well apparently after i did the format and quick format, i changed something on the hard drive :( 

now i get this message:

Windows installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation. Error code:0xE0000100

I searched on google and other people have this problem too, but I guess now I need to delete whatever is on the hard drive now. So I guess I'm going to have to take the hard drive out and put it in another computer?

I'm so frustrated :( 
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2009 6:26:50 AM

Ok lets start over here. Post what you have in your machine for me. Motherboard/processor and the hard drive thats not working.

You are not trying to install 64bit Windows on a 32 bit machine are you?

Are you installing a store bought disk of Windows 7 or a downloaded/burned copy?
m
l
November 6, 2009 6:43:49 AM

in a few hours the business day will begin and I am thinking about just calling up a local computer place and taking it to them to help me ... :( 
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2009 6:57:10 AM

Lol man at this point I am almost as frustrated as you are!

Yeah you have a 64bit machine no problems there.

I am out of ideas.....I would be willing to bet that hard drive is dead or near enough it does not matter. Probably a "UPS error" .....I caught a new UPS driver throwing packages up the last 5 or 6 steps to my front porch the other day. Makes me amazed that I have not received more dead electronics! I hope they fired his ass.

The only other thing I can think of is to connect it to another computer to test it.

I dont suppose you have an external enclosure laying around?

You are very welcome not that I have actually helped. I wish I could think of something else. If you do take it somewhere please let me know what the problem is.

Good Luck!

m
l
November 6, 2009 7:00:22 AM

all that I have is a laptop hard drive that i got a enclosure for... it hooks up with USB.

i don't know, screw it. i wanted to be able to say that i built my own first computer and did allllllllllll by myself haha.

but i'll just say i did it, but then something went wrong and it's all microsofts fault and not mine, so i was successful. sounds good at least to me in my head haha :) 
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2009 7:05:27 AM

Dead hard drives are more common than you would expect. And if one "kind of" works it can be hard to figure out that is the problem especially on a new build. Is the laptop drive SATA? If so it will work even though it will not fit in the enclosure and you migh have to get creative to plug it in.

Dont be too hard on yourself......I have done around 100 builds and im at a loss too :kaola: 
m
l
November 6, 2009 7:09:51 AM

it's pata.

well, just how much do you think would be fair to be charged for this by a computer place locally?

i mean, all I'm need done here is to get the OS on the system... ya know? how much do you think i'd be charged?
m
l
November 6, 2009 7:17:18 AM

do you think all this could be the motherboard perhaps?

because keep in mind, from when it starts to load windows files for windows 7, to the setup is starting part... and the blue background with the little plant and the bird... it all takes a good 10 minutes...
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2009 7:23:54 AM

Wow I couldnt even guess......I have been building since the 700mhz Celeron days but I dont do it professionally just for myself and friends and family and I have never paid anyone to work on my stuff. If I was doing it for a friend I would charge like $25 for something like this but im sure I would be cheaper than a shop. I just make a little and put that back into my own computer usually.

Take it to a locally owned shop over somewhere like Best Buy......those guys are generally idiots.

Maybe just take them the hard drive to test. It wont take 5 seconds with the right equipment. If it is dead you might get out really cheap. There is a local shop close to me where I have gone to scrounge laptop internals and I usually give him $5 for small stuff like keyboard retention clips even though he would give them to me free if I didnt offer.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2009 7:24:27 AM

JTBALLER said:
do you think all this could be the motherboard perhaps?

because keep in mind, from when it starts to load windows files for windows 7, to the setup is starting part... and the blue background with the little plant and the bird... it all takes a good 10 minutes...

Much much more likely the hard drive is dead. What you are seeing is loading from the installation disk.
m
l
!