Trading up 3d cards, is it worth it?

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
Hello,

I currently own a ATI PCI express X800 XL and I was wondering if it is worth upgrading to a ATI PCI express X1800 XT?

I dont really play the game FEAR so dont take that into consideration.

thanks

PS I am selling my card ATi x800 xl if anybody is interested.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Well, apparently you've already made up your mind.

Or are you asking what would be a suitable replacement of the X800XL?

The answer depends on how you use your PC. Do you want to play the latest and greatest games at max settings all the time? Or do you play once in awhile. If you're somewhere in the middle, then I would keep the X800XL for a little while longer.

The X800XL is still a very decent card that would be capable of playing F.E.A.R. even though you don't play it. Point being it still has a lot of life left in it.

The X1800XT has the same amount of pipes to it but has a much faster memory and GPU speed. It also sucks up two slots in your PC, which some people don't care about.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great card. It just might not be necessary. Save your $500.00 a bit longer and wait. The way nVidia and ATI are duking things out these days means the products just keep getting better for us!

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
I play about 8 hours a week. Does the pipelines make a huge difference? I dont uinderstand the whole pipelines at all.

I guess I was just wondering if I traded up if the graphics would get better or would the frame rate just improve, That is really my question I am trying to get at.

Thanks for your input