Basic OC'ing question (I think)

Fndr7070

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
My BIOS has an option to overclock by percentages, i.e. OC by 5%, 10%, 15%, etc. I don't really know much about overclocking, and how to do it manually (setting the voltages, etc), so I gave this option a shot. I did 5, then 10, then 15%. At 15%, my P4 640 3.2ghz is running at 3.67ghz. Temps overclocked are the exact same as they are without the overclocking (roughly 38c idle, 51-52 playing F.E.A.R. for an hour).

My question is.... the 15% overclock... is this just OC'ing the CPU, or it is also doing the motherboard and/or RAM? My mobo manual didn't really explain this (other than to say what the options were). I have an Asus P5LD2-Deluxe.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Normally, the idea, as RichPLS pointed out, is raising the FSB. In the BIOS should be a multiplier. By default in my BIOS, its set at X15 with the FSB set at 200 which equals 3000 or 3.0Ghz clock speed. What you do is take the FSB and take it up one notch at a time, reboot and test the machine for stability. Then keep taking it up one notch at a time. There are RAM timings, Core voltages, FSB voltages and PCI-E voltages you can change as well and you will have to change eventually. Start with the FSB though and work from there.