screen flickers on bootup and shutting down with new x1900xt

jonno

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
installed my new card x1900xt but when windows is booting up the screen flickers it also flickers when i click on Ati catalist and shutting down i have tryed everything re-installing windows reinstalling drivers installing nvidia driver removal tools it also does not seem to be that smooth ether playing some games. please help! :cry:

ProHandyman

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
There is a remote chance that it is the card... but can only be verified by using in a known good configuration.

The D-sub conector does become suspect, but the questions about power issues remains. What is your total computer configuration? Have you connected ALL connectors to mainboard and card connectors? If you know of someone who has a PS tester that is of the new type, you can test all the connectors for proper operation.

Wizard13gr

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I have the config in my SIG, and have the same prob. By Flicker, I mean than it looks like when a game looses frames with V-Synch...

Monitor with other cards plays fine, I also tried another converter

jonno

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
does it flicker when Windows is just booting up and shuting down and when you open the Ati catalist.

what does sig mean?

jonno

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
just found some Nvidia drivers and files in system32 and when i delete them the keep on coming back, this is getting me down now boohoo :oops: should of got 360 :cry:

ProHandyman

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
The nvidia drivers are just part of WinXPs driver archive. They don't effect your situation.

Have you tried technical support from the manufacturer of your card, or the retailer? That would be my next suggestion.

Also, what resolution are you running at? You HAVE changed it from the default 60Hz?

I've also pulled these quotes from anandtech's forums:

"NET 2.0 is a different language than .NET 1.1, so some programs cannot just be changed. However it appears ATI CCC is fine with .NET 2.0.

To speed up ATI CCC: First get .NET 2.0. Then start 'services.msc', and make sure "Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN" (description) is in your NT services list. This is just the native image generator from .NET 1.1, but .NET 2.0 automatically invokes it. Verify the service is set to automatic, and then start it. That should help ATI CCC. "

"hey if you don't like ati's software i'd recommend going with omegadrivers.net "

ATI Tool installed without CCC works well too, but not currently supporting the x1900xs... look for next release.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Unfortunately .Net is a must for Catalyst drivers. Your best bet is Omega Drivers as they make use of the old Control Panel (if they support the X1900 series at this stage)

I'm assuming you're using Catalyst Control Center at this stage.

jonno

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
I am using the Catalyst. Should i be playing all my games at there max such as fear because. i cant play most games 1280x1024

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
OMG i get the exact same problem. Wierd flickers during start up and when loading the catalyst driver

i just bought my new x1900xt.

My guess was it is probably due to me having to use a converter from DVI to VGA so i can use my VGA monitor

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I think your best bet is to scrap the CCC all together. Unfortunately you are in the same boat at me in that respect since OmegaDrivers havent released their drivers based on CAT6.2 yet. When these arrive try them, and see if it helps...if it dosnt, have you tried contacting your card manufacturer to see if they have an answer?

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
The fact that all new cards have dual dvi connectors means that the blinking of the screens won't go away if you use the DVI to VGA converter. I think sum1 mentioned it above and it makes perfect sense - the card detects that all DVI pins are occupied, and then reacts to this as a DVI monitor. The CRT monitor knows nothing and during the conversion of DVI output to VGA, we experience flikkering/blinking of the screen. This should happen in theory only at startup, BUT each time CCC is launched, it detects your monitor from scratch and thus we have all these blinking. Also at shutdown, when .Net and CCC is terminated do we see the flikkering and this won't go away. One can only limit the amount f times it does happen, and this is done by using 3rd party drivers that don't need CCC or .Net.

Maybe ATi could add an option to disable the repetitive scanning for monitors each time CCC is launched, and everyone can be happy.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Good point, ive pretty much always used a dvi-vga adapter except for now that i have my LCd monitor. It definetly used to flicker when using my crt but i didnt have CCC installed so i thought that it was just normal startup and shutdown stuff. I think you may have hit the nail on the head there.

ProHandyman

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
The fact that all new cards have dual dvi connectors means that the blinking of the screens won't go away if you use the DVI to VGA converter. I think sum1 mentioned it above and it makes perfect sense - the card detects that all DVI pins are occupied, and then reacts to this as a DVI monitor. The CRT monitor knows nothing and during the conversion of DVI output to VGA, we experience flikkering/blinking of the screen. This should happen in theory only at startup, BUT each time CCC is launched, it detects your monitor from scratch and thus we have all these blinking. Also at shutdown, when .Net and CCC is terminated do we see the flikkering and this won't go away. One can only limit the amount f times it does happen, and this is done by using 3rd party drivers that don't need CCC or .Net.

Maybe ATi could add an option to disable the repetitive scanning for monitors each time CCC is launched, and everyone can be happy.

Wrong! The DVI connector on the card is a dual DVI/VGA type, All the converter does is allow the inner VGA Pins to connect to your VGA analog CRT monitor, see here: DVI Connector interfaces

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006

Wrong! The DVI connector on the card is a dual DVI/VGA type, All the converter does is allow the inner VGA Pins to connect to your VGA analog CRT monitor, see here: DVI Connector interfaces

Point taken prohandyman, but - seeing that all pins on the gcard's DVI slot are occupied, the card first initializes as if a DVI Monitor is connected, but beacuse we are using CRT (VGA) output, the card will always first detect it as a DVI, before going to VGA mode. All components in a PC is dumb (thats why inf files exist - to tell any periphal/component what to do).

That's why I have flickkering when Windows starts, or when I activate CCC (which always retests the type of screen present). That's the price of DVI/VGA dongle. It works, but it will always first assume that a LCD is present due to the dongle occupying all pins of the gcards' DVI interface. If you can remove these pins (that let's the card think that DVI is present) from the dongle, then you will have a straight connection from VGA(CRT) to the card, and thus no flickering.

mfurse

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I think that the .Net framework is to blame also. I've got a 9800 pro and a tft attached at the DVI port and it goes black for a second when its booting and when it shuts down - think its the whole CCC thing. Doesn't affect games or anything else for that matter, just while the CCC is loading up. No biggy.

ProHandyman

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Nope, just because there are DVI pins connected to the cards outputs, they are not connected to any type of DVI circuit in a monitor... therefore they are not seen as a digital display... only pins receiving feed back to the card are the analog pins.

The term DVI to Analog "ADAPTER", versus "CONVERTER", applies here. An adapter just moves wire traces to a different type of connector setup, whereas a converter electrically transforms the signal to something else. Almost all vid-cards at the moment use "dual" DVI-I interfaces... thus carrying both signals, but cannot drive 2 differing standards (with rare exceptions, since VGA is an altered signal from digital).

I agree it has something to do with the CCC drivers and .Net. Even on my 9800 Pro... I get a extremely short "flicker" at launch of log in screen, and at final shutdown. I don't get it while opening CCC in Windows, because I have set .Net's services to automatic. Installation has also incurred a long "black screen" with a very short Windows load screen, versus a long load screen, followed by a short-term black screen to windows log in.