Keeping my computer quiet, help?

dadjan

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I have a new setup which I want to keep as quiet as possible. This is it:

* ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

* AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 1GHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

* MSI NX7800GT-VT2D256E Geforce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card

* CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt

I set the Corsair memory to it's recommended timings in BIOS, 2,5-3-3-3-6, and changed the voltage for it with Ai Booster (to 2,75V). But now when I turn on AMD's Cool n' Quiet technology Ai Booster makes a notification and I can't open it.

Is there any way to manage the speed/voltage and all that of the CPU while it and the memory is overclocked and the default settings altered? If so, which program do you recommend?

Now the setup isn't that noisy, I'm installing new fans this week (Arctic Cooling) for the CPU and the video card so it'll be even more quiet then. I just want to be able to overclock my CPU (because this is a very easy overclocked CPU) and change the memory settings to its recommended timings and voltage AND keep my computer quiet, especially when it's not working hard (like when I'm running Quake 4 or Battlefield 2 or something like that).

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I would think that your best bet for overclocking is to do it all through your BIOS instead of thru a windows program. Im pretty sure that i have seen posts in this forum about overclocking that particular motherboard so i would do a quick search and see what you come up with. Thats about all the help i can offer because i have never seen the bios for that particular motherboard nor am i too experienced in overclocking.

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
for programs: Speedfan lets you control fan speed by setting a range for temperature

don't use C n' Q, it does absolutely nothing and should always be turned off for OC

YOu don wanna use dynamic overclcking, have a little patience and fine tune everything in the BIOS even though it is a lot easier with dynamic OC.