Sign in with
Your question

Can somoene explain to me the full details to AM2?

Last response: in CPUs
February 6, 2006 10:41:18 PM

I want to know everything of the new AM2, all i know is that it will have a DDR2 memory controller, as the socket 754/939/940 has with DDR. Oh also that it will have 65nm.

But anything else i should know? like what is the minimum to maximum core speeds? will there be increase in Hypertranspot technology?

thanks
February 6, 2006 11:03:22 PM

Quote:
Oh also that it will have 65nm.

First chips will be 90nm

Quote:
like what is the minimum to maximum core speeds?

Same as this gen. With speed bumps later down the road

Quote:
will there be increase in Hypertranspot technology?

I think they are increasing it to a 333Mhz base clock. Or was it 266?
February 6, 2006 11:06:01 PM

yeah i herd of something lik 266 or 333 increase in HTT, darn why not just 65nm now, since Intel has it, they could steam the technology :twisted:

and they should increase the speeds, since it wasnt hard for them to keep on increasing the speeds for the fx60 and such, they should be able to easily hit 3ghz.

And a higher L2 cache would be good too. The AM2 sounds like its going to be an exact replica of Conroe besides the non efficint L1 cache and it still has 2 smaller pipelinies then conroe (bad intel bad *smacks intel on head)
February 6, 2006 11:19:23 PM

It looks like what you do know is wrong, so let's start with that.
With A64 chips, the memory controller is on the chip, not on the board, so no, it wont have a DDR2 controller, though it will support chips that do.
Again, 65 nanos is the size of the smallest gate on the chip, so it has nothing to do with the mobo.
The only improvement we are sure of, in reguards to the HTT, is that it's base speed will increase from 200 to 333. It is also likely that it will rise to 1333, though that is not a certainty. It would lower system latencies, and give a slight perf boost.
DDR2 support is the key change. While added band width will impact a bit, the key gain will be again in lower latency.
Early chips will come out with the same PR numbers that are currently available. Dont expect anything to drastic from the initial offerings.
The lower multiplier/ higher HTT speed, and memory controller speed should allow chips to get closer to 3 ghz and should help with OCing.
Speed changes will probably not be major until the second batch of 65 nano based chips.
February 6, 2006 11:22:01 PM

Actually, no, it won't be 65nm to start. :( 
The initial release of AM2 will be on the tried and proven, "mature" 90nm process. Scuttlebutt is that the first socket AM2 CPUs will be late summer/early fall this year.
However, you're right that if you want a 65nm CPU from AMD, it will be AM2 -- somewhere a little further down the line, probably early 2007.
A lot depends on how well and how quickly AMD gets its new fabrication facility online. Realistically, though, look for AMD to release its server parts first (Socket F) on 65nm. That's where it's most needed, to allow for four-core processors (which will be great for servers, but not much use on the home desktop).
The big question now is whether it makes sense to get by with what you have right now, waiting for AM2 to be released, or got with Socket 939 now. :?
I say go with Socket 939. The first AM2 parts won't be THAT much faster. The use of DDR2 memory will allow an AM2 CPU to run probably about 5% to 10% faster than a similarly clocked 939 CPU -- that's speculative, based on what I've read here, at Anandtech and The Inquirer (so this is not definitive).
Nobody really knows what AM2 will do until the first chips are in reviewers' hands.
However, if you're expecting 4 ghz AM2 processors upon release, you're going to be very, very disappointed.
Hopes are that new processes, etc. will allow AMD to finally release a 3ghz AMD 64 FX processor -- which will probably be available only on AM2.
Many believe that the FX-57 (single core, 2.8ghz) and the FX-60 (dual core, 2.6 ghz) were the final high-end processors meant for Socket 939.
As AM2 parts become more widely available, it will become the mainstream processor (sometime in 2007) and Socket 939 will continue to drop in price. There will probably be new Sempron processors released for the Socket 939 platform, and as long as they sell well AMD will keep making SOME of the higher clocking AMD 64 chips. The single-core chips will be phased out eventually, and I expect the 3800+ to be cancelled in the next year or so.
I think AMD will keep making the 4400+, 4600+ and 4800+ CPUs for quite some time. They still have a lot of production capacity geared at the 90 nm space, with machinery set up for 200mm silicon, so to earn their investment back, they've got to keep the fabs running at near max capacity.
As for me, I just this past weekend pulled my old 1.8 ghz Winchester and plugged in a 3800+ X2. :D 
This is the setup I'll be using for the next year or so. Next year if I can pick up a 4600+ around $300, I may upgrade again.
Anyway, that's my two cents worth.
February 6, 2006 11:36:12 PM

Quote:
It looks like what you do know is wrong, so let's start with that.
With A64 chips, the memory controller is on the chip, not on the board, so no, it wont have a DDR2 controller, though it will support chips that do.
Again, 65 nanos is the size of the smallest gate on the chip, so it has nothing to do with the mobo.
The only improvement we are sure of, in reguards to the HTT, is that it's base speed will increase from 200 to 333. It is also likely that it will rise to 1333, though that is not a certainty. It would lower system latencies, and give a slight perf boost.
DDR2 support is the key change. While added band width will impact a bit, the key gain will be again in lower latency.
Early chips will come out with the same PR numbers that are currently available. Dont expect anything to drastic from the initial offerings.
The lower multiplier/ higher HTT speed, and memory controller speed should allow chips to get closer to 3 ghz and should help with OCing.
Speed changes will probably not be major until the second batch of 65 nano based chips.

wow were are you getting your info buddy? on ncix.com and gamespot.com i talk with the people on there and they said AM2 procs will have DDR2 memory controller, if not, then the AM2 would require a bus speed to help access the RAM. Its just like when we whent directly to A64 with socket 754, socket 754 had DDR memory controller, not for dual channel (couldnt run dual channel) but it had a DDR memory controller.

Oh and these are my system specs:
Athlon 64 3000+ winchester at stock
1gig sammy ram, not in dual channel
Crappy Asus A8V deluxe mobo (causeing constant 1 sec pauses in my video games)
60gb maxtor crappy harddrive (quickly upgradeing to 250gb)
BFG 6600gt OC 589/1117
Fortron Sparkle 400watt powersupply
Antec SLK3000 case
February 6, 2006 11:49:58 PM

I believe you are misinterpreting what endyen said. The new AM2 processors will have an integrated memory controller that supports DDR2 memory in dual channel mode. That is the major new feature for AM2. AMD will also be improving the cooling cage design.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=268...

Another new feature of AM2 is the base speed increase of HT to 333MHz. This appears to initially be an exclusive feature of the FX line though as most models will retain the 200MHz base speed.

A list of the announced launch processors is available here.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28367

The current 2GHz X2 3800+ will be relabeled the X2 4200+ and the highest X2 will be the current 2.4GHz 2x512k 4600+ which will be relabeled the X2 5000+. AMD is expecting that DDR2 will provide a 400MHz PR rating equivalent boost. AMD may be keeping the current highest line processors like the X2 4800+ in reserve.
February 7, 2006 12:18:01 AM

huh!

I guess the AM2 doesnt sound all that interesting to me, i guess ill wait till conroe comes out, im too excited for conroe to tell you the truth.

Please explain in details about conroes Architecture :D 
February 7, 2006 12:35:43 AM

Hello LT!

Not sure why everybody is getting orgasmic about Conroe. Reading from various websites, Conroe still uses the standard FSB, regardless of if it's 1333MHz or not, it still cannot use all the bandwidth DDR2 offers, I guess Intel will counter that by adding in 100GB of Level 87 Cache.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
February 7, 2006 12:43:07 AM

Quote:
huh!

I guess the AM2 doesnt sound all that interesting to me, i guess ill wait till conroe comes out, im too excited for conroe to tell you the truth.

Please explain in details about conroes Architecture :D 

Damn.. it is only a CPU.. nothing to get excited about!! You should look at woman to get real excitation!!

And by the way, google is a public search engine that is available for everybody at www.google.com

Typing "conroe" in the search field will give you many many answer to your question. If you don't get excited enough, typing "nude women" in the same field will do better...
February 7, 2006 12:55:02 AM

Dry hump CPU and socket[/wingding]
February 7, 2006 12:56:14 AM

wow i just wanted to know what the conroe will be like, the higher FSB will add a bit of performance increase, but you guys didnt have to be all jerks about it.

Geesh, wait a minute, how would you know if i had a GF or not? cause i could already get my sexual intentions pleasured for me, so since i already got that covered, then i just need to know more about PC components.
February 7, 2006 1:04:08 AM

Quote:
wow i just wanted to know what the conroe will be like, the higher FSB will add a bit of performance increase, but you guys didnt have to be all jerks about it.

Geesh, wait a minute, how would you know if i had a GF or not? cause i could already get my sexual intentions pleasured for me, so since i already got that covered, then i just need to know more about PC components.

Don't know.. I guess it is because peoples that got excited over something that is not yet released need a life. I mean.. When it'll be there, you'll have all the FACTS about it instead of pure speculation..

So, I guessed you may need something to better entertain your life.
February 7, 2006 1:08:29 AM

your right, right now my life is boring, oh well. Maybe ill call up on my GF, better yet, my friends to go see a movie, since exams are over, i got a week off of school, so i got time to do anything 8)
February 7, 2006 1:09:34 AM

Quote:

Don't know.. I guess it is because peoples that got excited over something that is not yet released need a life. I mean.. When it'll be there, you'll have all the FACTS about it instead of pure speculation..

So, I guessed you may need something to better entertain your life.

Does eating Cheez-It's and drinking Sprite while watching Boot-Legged Law & Order eps on ur comp count? Not saying I do that... 8)

February 7, 2006 1:13:05 AM

Is it diet sprite or normal sprite?
February 7, 2006 1:33:18 AM

Quote:
Is it diet sprite or normal sprite?

Normal Sprite, got a 12-pack, really nice :) .

February 22, 2006 11:31:19 AM

It seems like the 'Conroe' is the first chip at all different from the Pentium Pro and Pentium M.
The Pentium Pro had 3 three issue units and the 'Conroe' will have 4.
This is the biggest change for the last 6 years.
Exciting, huh?
!