Black Ink Question

Yeah, I'm considering buying a Canon Pixima iP4000 printer since it is on
sale at Compusa, and I noticed that it has two black ink cartridges, one
with B as a symbol and the other Bk.

Does anybody know the difference between these two blacks? Also, if anybody
would like to recommend or not recommend this printer to me, let me know.

Basically the only reason I'm buying this printer is so I only have to
replace the ink that I need. Also, I like to be able to print with black ink
even if the color ink is out (Epson will not do that!) Canon would let me
print with black if color is empty, right?

Thanks for all the help!
-Kevin S.
9 answers Last reply
More about black question

    "Kevin S." <kseitz@gbronline.com> wrote in message

    > Basically the only reason I'm buying this printer is so I only have to
    > replace the ink that I need. Also, I like to be able to print with black ink
    > even if the color ink is out (Epson will not do that!) Canon would let me
    > print with black if color is empty, right?

    Generally printers that have printheads separate from the ink supply require
    that all the ink supplies are present and have ink to avoid damage or clogging
    of the printhead. This applies to HP, Canon and Epson printers.

    Printers with printheads integrated with the ink supply generally allow
    printing with one or more of the cartridges low or out of ink. Many recent HP
    printers will allow printing in "reserve mode" where if the black ink is out
    the user can print with the color cartridge only or vice versa. You might take
    a look at the DeskJet 5150, 5740 or 6540 for example. All these can print with
    either or both cartridges installed. See:
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02a/18972-236251-236261.html

    Regards,

    Kevin S. wrote:

    >Yeah, I'm considering buying a Canon Pixima iP4000 printer since it is on
    >sale at Compusa, and I noticed that it has two black ink cartridges, one
    >with B as a symbol and the other Bk.
    >
    >Does anybody know the difference between these two blacks?

    One is a pigmented black for text, the other is a dye-based black for
    colour and photo prints.

    > Also, if anybody
    >would like to recommend or not recommend this printer to me, let me know.

    It prints nice, and it's fast. Beyond that I can't recommend Canon i/iP
    series anymore due to numerous bad experiences with their printheads.

    It seems their printheads are not designed very well and they fail
    early, and replacement cost is far too high. My i850 failed after just
    4000 sheets and 16 months. A close friend's i550 failed after a measly
    2500 pages. I know of three others that failed within the warranty
    period now, and two more that failed outside of the warranty. I don't
    have details on the number of pages, but all were relatively light
    users.

    > Also, I like to be able to print with black ink
    >even if the color ink is out (Epson will not do that!) Canon would let me
    >print with black if color is empty, right?

    Yes...but the Canon will also print when no cartridge is installed, and
    the optical sensor will NOT tell the printer an ink tank is missing.
    Make sure you always have ink in the printer.

    One of the "in-warranty" users I mentioned above found out about this
    poor sensor design the hard way. He was lucky enough to get it replaced
    under warranty, but he won't buy a Canon again.

    "Kevin S." <kseitz@gbronline.com> wrote in message
    > Yeah, I'm considering buying a Canon Pixima iP4000 printer since it is on
    > sale at Compusa, and I noticed that it has two black ink cartridges, one
    > with B as a symbol and the other Bk.
    >
    > Does anybody know the difference between these two blacks? Also, if
    anybody
    > would like to recommend or not recommend this printer to me, let me know.
    >
    > Basically the only reason I'm buying this printer is so I only have to
    > replace the ink that I need. Also, I like to be able to print with black
    ink
    > even if the color ink is out (Epson will not do that!) Canon would let me
    > print with black if color is empty, right?
    >
    > Thanks for all the help!
    > -Kevin S.

    Canon does not let you print with any color empty.
    K is for pigment black and B for dye based and therefore Photo work - and
    the printheads seems to have redefined short life to not very long at all
    :-) There is also this persistant leeching problem between colours where
    Photos can have a distinct Magenta cast and yellows sometimes take up the
    black. This was apparent and still is with the original S-820 I still have
    and hardly ever use. Canon have problems?
    --
    Spit less spotlets - spotless inkjet prints...
    http://www.aah-haa.com 30% more ink

    Tony wrote:

    >Canon does not let you print with any color empty.

    If you're printing and an ink tank runs out, then the printer stops and
    informs you of the problem.

    However, Canon DOES let you print with any and all colours empty. In
    fact, if you remove any of the ink tanks in the i/iP series, and then
    try to print again, the optical sensor tells the printer you have a FULL
    ink tank when nothing is even there!

    I'm not fully familiar with the new line of Canon printers. However, in
    general, with dye ink photo printers, use of a pigmented black ink
    doesn't mix well with dye color inks, so my suspicion is that one black
    is for photo image use, and the other is for text and is pigmented for
    permanence and perhaps waterproofing.

    Epson takes a similar but different tact with their fully pigmented ink
    sets. They now provide two blacks, one is designed for glossy papers,
    and has a less dense black which doesn't tend to bronze or dull the
    surface of glossy papers, and a second black that is more dense and
    matte for matte surface papers.

    Art

    "Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:48mdnTpdhI06azfcRVn-pg@golden.net...
    > However, Canon DOES let you print with any and all colours empty. In
    > fact, if you remove any of the ink tanks in the i/iP series, and then
    > try to print again, the optical sensor tells the printer you have a FULL
    > ink tank when nothing is even there!

    While you may be able to print with the ink tank removed, this is not
    recommended as it will likely cause damage to the printhead.

    - Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
    > I'm not fully familiar with the new line of Canon printers. However, in
    > general, with dye ink photo printers, use of a pigmented black ink
    > doesn't mix well with dye color inks, so my suspicion is that one black
    > is for photo image use, and the other is for text and is pigmented for
    > permanence and perhaps waterproofing.

    Art,
    BCi-3eK is a pigmented black ink - whereas BCi-3epb and BCi-6k for the Pixma
    4000/5/6 are dye based.
    If you use a pigment base with dye based you'll certainly get the Panda
    effect particularly with B/W prints. As with the i560 4 inks and using the
    BCi-3eK and equally the Pixma 4 ink tank replacement.
    Tony
    --

    Bob Headrick wrote:

    >"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:48mdnTpdhI06azfcRVn-pg@golden.net...
    >> However, Canon DOES let you print with any and all colours empty. In
    >> fact, if you remove any of the ink tanks in the i/iP series, and then
    >> try to print again, the optical sensor tells the printer you have a FULL
    >> ink tank when nothing is even there!
    >
    >While you may be able to print with the ink tank removed, this is not
    >recommended as it will likely cause damage to the printhead.

    Exactly my point...it's a poorly designed sensor system with no
    safeguards to prevent burning out the head by accident. At the very
    least, they should have a secondary sensor to detect if an ink tank is
    installed or not.

    In article Tony says...
    > K is for pigment black and B for dye based and therefore Photo work - and
    > the printheads seems to have redefined short life to not very long at all

    Are you sniffing too much solvent? The canon pigmented black is BCI-3eBK
    and the dye black is BCI-6BK or BCI-3ePBK.

Printers Canon Peripherals