Pentium D 920 Temp Question

jhkokst

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Got a new system. I personally think its awesome. I went from a 2001 Dell (p4 1.7, 256 megs, gforce 3) to a P D 920, 2 gigs ddr2, gforce 6800 gs (built myself).

All is running fine. Im perfectly happy with it performance wise.

But i have a question about cpu temp. I used everest to see what its running at. It idles from 50 - 55 (for basic apps, internet surfing, etc.) and then jumps up to around 70 - 73 during Half-life 2. This seems warm to me, but im not exactly sure. Im using stock cooling (intel cpu fan, case fan, psu fan). I used arctic silver as well. However i applied a little arctic silver in between the bond that was already on the cpu fan before i fastened it on. Was this incorrect application?

Anyways, when its warmer i don't witness slow down or anything.

Any advice would be great. Please no "amd vs intel" b.s. I just want constructive comments.

Thanks

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Good choice in processor there and you will certainly benefit from its good performance.

Here's the deal about the cooling:

1. Immediately remove the Heat sink fan and remove every ounce of both the arctic silver and the intel compound. Its not a good idea to mix the two at all and in fact, can and will make that processor run hotter than normal. You can use a little bit of rubbing alcohol to remove any and all compounds from the heatsink and the top of the CPU.

2. Visit the arctic silver website for more instructions as to how to apply it and prepare the HSF and the CPU for application.

That processor is designed to handle heat however, those temps are not what I call, normal operating temps. Intel says those processors will run normal with those temps but the cooler the better IMO.

Once you get the arctic silver properly installed along with the HSF, you will see a noticable drop in CPU temps and they will continue to drop until the arctic silver is fully settled.

kyleawesome

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I've found one of the best ways to clean a HSF/Processor is with alocohol and some coffee filters (cheap as hell, and LINT FREE)

I spread the ArticSilver super thin, the stuff is very powerful, too much can cause just as many problems as too little, best way to apply is to put a little dab on, spread it around with a playing card (the stiff new ones, use a joker so your not screwed when you play hold'em) and then apply another dap until the whole chip is covered.

Most important THIN

It takes some time, but trust me, you'll love the chip after you get it all done with! :)

jhkokst

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
On another note. when installing the heatsink, its supposed to take a considerable amount of pressure...correct? My buddy and I had quite a time installing that thing....and i just wanted to make sure that were supposed to be pushing that hard....

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah, I've heard of it being applied that way but have never tried it. I usually just put a small bead of it right in the center and drop the HSF on top of it. I think both methods are good. I mean, my scotty runs 30-32C idle and around 40 under load. My AMD with the stock cooler and arctic silver 5 runs about the same cept maybe a degree or two higher.

kyleawesome

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Yeah, I've never had heat issues with my Prescott

idlespeednew.jpg

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
The 775 socket can be troublesome to install a fan on that's for sure. Most Intel users pretty much scrap the stock coolers and use aftermarket because they seem to seat better. I used my stock cooler for a while when I put this rig together and had no problem. Just gotta make sure the feet are solidly connected to the MB. Best to install it while the board is out of the machine IMO as I always do it this way anyway.

My temps and specs:

Temps and Specs

jhkokst

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Thanks for the advice guys. Its appreciated.

I guess ultimately, is it necessary that i clean/reseat it w/ arctic silver properly? Im really apprehensive about messing with that apparatus again (the last thing i need is to crack my mobo!).

You'd think that with current technology (manufacturing 65 and 45 nm chips) they could invent a more user friendly way to affix an hsf!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
why would you apply the artic silver 5 ( the god all of thermal paste) over some cheap ass tooth paste that comes with the pc. You could have fry your brand new CPU. You can give to me, I'll take good care of it. hehe

Like the other said, use thin layer of it. Artic silver 5 are very effecient, it contains about 95% silver by weight. Like gold, silver transfer heat better than aluminum. But don't go bolting the artic silver 5 in bulletproof safe, they only cost five bucks in a tiny syringe applicator.

You will not see the difference instantly. It has to take time to settle, maybe 1 week or so of heating and cooling down.

Yeah, for cleaning it, I suggest you use alcohol. Sure you can use them very powerful cleaner, however it's strong enough to melt plastic. I don't take you as a careless person but the alcohol should be fine.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Your absolutely right about that. Thank God for aftermarket coolers. My Zalman cooler, although its almost bigger than my MB, (just kidding) mounted far easier than the stock cooler. Intel definately needs to go back to the drawing board for a newly designed cooler. While they're at it, design one that actually works good similar to the AMD coolers. hehe (I know i'll probably get flamed a little for that one) 8O :D :wink:

jhkokst

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Thanks guys. Pretty much you've convinced me to scrap the stock cooling. Especially with some of those temps you guys post.

Im thinking of getting the Zalman cnps7700 as it seems to be a popular choice. Zip Zoom Fly has it for 45.50 with free 2day fedex (want it to arrive by friday so my buddy can help me install it when i go home for the weekend).

Question, i have an intel 945P mobo, will the zalman fit this?! Seems to be big. Im assuming yes, as its a reference board.

If you agree that Zalman is the way to go or know if it will fit, let me know by this evening...as i'd like to buy it asap.

Thanks

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
yeah it should be fine. I know in my case, the PSU is just out of reach of the fins on the cooler. My DFI board has a removable sound/audio card and thank God it does, I had to remove it because of the cooler.

I'll try to post some pics of it this evening to give you a really good idea as to what it looks like and how it fits.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Before you buy the super dooper HSF, first check the mounting holes of the motherboard as some stock mobo like my bro have different mounting holes. The cpu mounting holes were more rectangular than square and its a 945G express chipset. So double check to make sure and cross your fingers. 8O

jhkokst

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
i checked zalmans site for compatibility, but they havent updated it in a year. I emailed their support and they said to get their new 9500 heatsink/pipe/fan. I checked that onea compatibility and it will work with my 945P mobo.

Its $15 more expensive...but i guess its more of a sure thing (plus a little better performance)

If anyone knows if the Zalman 7700 works with the newer mobos (945/955/975) please let me know.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I can't imagine why it wouldn't work at all. Unless they've changed the hole pattern. I just got my new Gigabyte with the Intel 975 chipset in today and the hole pattern looks the same as my 925 does so it should work. I also took a pic of my 7700 cooler with the stock cooler so you can sort of compare the size of the two.

Zalman - Intel Cooler Comparison

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Good evening Supremelaw. Nice to see you share your thorough knowledge with us once again. I just received my new board as mentioned in the previous post, Gigabyte GA-G1975X. I'm still trying to decide which processor to buy for it. Its a real beauty of a board.

pat

Expert
Thanks for the advice guys. Its appreciated.

I guess ultimately, is it necessary that i clean/reseat it w/ arctic silver properly? Im really apprehensive about messing with that apparatus again (the last thing i need is to crack my mobo!).

You'd think that with current technology (manufacturing 65 and 45 nm chips) they could invent a more user friendly way to affix an hsf!

Listen boy. You CPU is meant to operata at those temp. They are normal. If the computer is stable, than don't worry. I would not. Artic silver will lower your temp maybe 1-2 degrees.. so you won't gain anything worthing it. And let the time to the stock thermal pad to settle to be efficient. Even Artic silver need few hundred hours to be properly cooked.

My best advice is to make sure that you have good airflow inside the computer and to keep it clean. That's Intel new CPU. They run HOT. BUt it doesnt means that they overheat.

So, unless it goes over 85 degrees, then I would say that you are worrying for nothing

As supremlaw tell, pushing on the heat sink from time to time during thermal material cooking wil make it to settle better too.

I'm definitively for the "if it work, don't fix it" way. Your's working, keep it clean and stop worrying.