PC Freeze... Help Needed...

alphakp295

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
hi,

i've built a computer for my brother yesterday;
it runs flawlessly except during games;
it freezes on random basis.
it has froze from Bet On Soldiers, Call of Duty 2, and other heavy on graphic card game...
i assume it is a graphic card problem...
but i wanted to hear others' opinions before i send it out for RMA.
i don't think it's heat issue... it has 6 fans; case is huge as server case.

symptom:
computer lockup... with beep sound(repeating like) sometimes... without sound sometimes

components:
AMD Athlon X2 3800+
Geforce 7800 GT
Corsair XMS 1024-3200C2PT
ePox SLI mobo
Antec True power 2.0 500W
2 PATA HDDs
Audigy 2 ZS
... i guess that's about it...

ps... besides my bro's computer... what's the usual problem for looping sound and freezing while playing back media files... ?

thank you in advance...

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Definately sounds like a card problem. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the card isn't getting enough juice which would certainly create problems. If you can, pop that card into another machine and see if it does the same thing.

alucardk9

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I had a similar problem from the a MOTHERBOARD a while back... It was a failsafe device to keep the computer from burning itself out. Basically what It came down to: The processor was not staying cool enough during heavy graphic games. I hope this helps if you havnt fixed the problem yet.

Make sure there is adequate enough cooling grease between the processor and the heatsink / Fan assembly. If It isnt being cool enough, look for a Copper Core Heatsink replacement.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Since you are getting POST beeps from the motherboard I would start there.

Does the motherboard manual have a troubleshooting section? Those beeps you hear are trying to tell you something... Those are typically audible fault notifications.

Also 6 fans do not equal internal heat disipation. It could sound good but if set up wrong 6 fans could result in the same cooling as NO fans.

The Athlon in X2 runs a little hotter and can cut out to protect itself when the thermal barrier is reached.

"wait for the beep" :)

CCR

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2004
It can be several things:

Power Supply faulty (unlikley but its is a possibility) Use a volt meter to see if the volts read good when your gaming.

Running too hot? Like the previous post you may be counter proudctive if the fans are not pulling air from the front and pushing it out the back. If its in a desk cabinet then like most I have seen there is bad outer airflow to start with and no way for the heat to escape.

Check Dirvers and make sure you have the latest. I have seen video cards flip out with older drivers and cause the system to hault or reboot.

Check Bios and upgrade (if needed). Also check to make sure your Setting in the bios are set to what the video card specifies.

Reseat the card and check connections

also do as one of the posts suggests and see if the card will run fine on another PC.

Google video card and mobo and see if others have the same problems and suggestions.

If still no luck then I would start with the RMA of the vid card.